Mark Webber to stay at Red Bull in 2012

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The drivers' market just tightened up even more than it already was with the news that Red Bull are happy for Mark to stay on for one more year in 2012.

That more or less locks out the top 3 teams, excluding Massa for whom there hasn't been any news from Ferrari.

So is this a good move by Mark and Red Bull?

I think from Mark's perspective it's about the best drive he's going to get . I can't see him moving to Ferrari for example and the only other opportunities would be in second tier teams.

For Red Bull it's also a pretty good deal as they get a known driver who will once again support Vettel in what will probably be his 3rd successive WDC challenge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13722506.stm

It would be his last attempt at glory as 2011 is almost a write off for him if things carry on the way they are at the moment.

I was really really hoping that there was an outside chance Kobayashi could wind up in that spot. I don't like Webber anyway. He's a good whipping boy for Vettel at least.

Webber isn't an exciting or super fast driver but he gets the job done. Why risk the Constructors championship on a relatively unknown driver when you know where your at with Webber.

Oh cock, I was really hoping to see a fast youngster get a chance in the 2nd Bull. Maybe RB will demote Webber to Toro Rosso to see out his last season :snigger:

Split feelings about this one. I wouldn't really want anybody quicker than Webber in the Red Bull number 2 car. But I would love to see Vettel up against somebody other than Webber.

He was just playing the market a bit....seeing if any vacancies arose, sure he would have looked at Ferrari if Massa was told he would be released....other than that he would not go to any team outside the top 3 teams.

Isn't this exactly what Red Bull want though? I think it was Horner wasn't it (I may have dreamt this) that said you shouldn't have 2 top drivers in one team. Vettel I think is a fairly demanding driver when it comes to status within the team and I very much doubt he or Red Bull want to alter that balance by bringing someone in who may well challenge him. They've looked at what happened with Alonso/Hamilton and do not want a repeat of tensions. They didn't exactly get it right with the two they have.

Sorry for the lack of evidence here I read an article in Autosport last year where a previous team mate in a junior series (British, not Di Resta) was forced to give Vettel his chassis as he was beating him throughout the season. I found it interesting that Vettel was so groomed without a huge amount of championships to back it up.

It is similar with all the top teams, IMHO:

Ferrari - Alonso beats Massa
RBR - Vettel beats Webber
McLaren - Hamilton beats Button (theoretically bar the driving errors)

Most sides have a defined or marked out number 1 and the number one (bar McLaren) is distictively better than the number 2 driver.

But don't forget the only point Vettel led a WDC lsat year was after Abu Dhabi, Mark was beating him for a good part of the year so it wasn't that clear cut in that team. I know Seb had some bad luck last year but thats nothing compared to Mark this year. Their times weren't that different last year.

I think they've found harmony and are aware Mark knows they are his only option to stay in F1. Surely it's a case of don't fix it if it aint broken?

Ferrari have always applied the 1 & 2 rule so no surprises there.

In all the top teams the de facto number one has beaten two fair and square bar Ferrari. As long as Alonso remains at there and continues to be backed by Santander ( who effectively pay his wages) the other seat will always be a poisoned chalice. Having said this, i think Webber would've been ok there. It would be good for his CV and he has nothing to lose. I'm also certain he'll put up a better fight than 'broken man' Massa.

In all the top teams the de facto number one has beaten two fair and square bar Ferrari. As long as Alonso remains at there and continues to be backed by Santander ( who effectively pay his wages) the other seat will always be a poisoned chalice. Having said this, i think Webber would've been ok there. It would be good for his CV and he has nothing to lose. I'm also certain he'll put up a better fight than 'broken man' Massa.

Really? Mark is an outspoken rebel when he wants to be and will quite happily rock the boat if he's not happy. I couldn't see him sitting back like Massa pretending that there were no team orders when he was ordered to let Alonso through. I would have though Mark would be Ferrari's worst PR nightmare!

Has he actually signed the contract? I really thought he was on his way out because he just comes across as a defeated man this season. Certainly not got the attitude he did last year. Having said that he has pulled it back a little but he really should be up their with Seb.

I think I've stated on a thread I wrote somewhere that there is no way the brands of Red Bull and Lewis Hamilton are going to be able to resist each other for much longer because them combining forces would be such a money spinner so I don't think Horner will have much of a choice about having 2 top drivers before long. We'll have Vettel and Hamilton at Red Bull I'm sure of it - if not 2012 then for 2013.

Has he actually signed the contract? I really thought he was on his way out because he just comes across as a defeated man this season.

That was my feeling as well. Perhaps if this season continues to drift away he can rally his energies and make another big push in 2012. I hope so anyway; I don't think being a dutiful number two suits him or fits with his character particularly well. The trouble is that he gives the air of a man who knows that he's missed his best chance.

That was my feeling as well. Perhaps if this season continues to drift away he can rally his energies and make another big push in 2012. I hope so anyway; I don't think being a dutiful number two suits him or fits with his character particularly well. The trouble is that he gives the air of a man who knows that he's missed his best chance.

For his sake I hope he rallys this season!

I think he started the season thinking he had missed his chance and his moral has been further shattered by being beat by Vettel at Spain and Monoco - two tracks he's always had the advantage over him at.

I honestly thought he was heading for retirment and a media career.

He really should have gone at the end of last year if he wanted to drive at his best or keep his spirits up. It was patently obvious (to me) that he wasn't really with it after Korea, and his confidence was never going to recover. Yes, staying at Red Bull will give him a good car that he can pick up points, and wins in- but only when Vettel has problems. But, he was pretty adamant he wasn't going to sit around playing whipping boy, after his comments at Silverstone and Brazil- but staying at Red Bull will make him just that.

However, there aren't any other top line drives available at the moment (Ferrari won't drop Massa, their dutiful number 2, until he decides to go, like Barrichello did eventually). Does Mark, in his mid-thirties, want to be sitting 13th on the grid, and just about bringing a point or two home on a good weekend? Retirement must have seemed appealing- and, after his best season, timely.

I hope they give him another year at Red Bull. True, he is having problems getting his tyres to work, but who knows maybe he will be right up there next year. Like Adrain Newey said, he is a great value to improve the car.

Really? Mark is an outspoken rebel when he wants to be and will quite happily rock the boat if he's not happy. I couldn't see him sitting back like Massa pretending that there were no team orders when he was ordered to let Alonso through. I would have though Mark would be Ferrari's worst PR nightmare!

That's what I meant when I said "he'd put up a better fight than Massa". Whether Ferrari would put up with him is another matter all together.

Back
Top Bottom