Malasyian GP, DRS Zones....

Hi all, I've just joined the forum and wonder what your thoughts are on the proposed DRS zones for Malaysia ? It seems the pit straight will be the designated area after the last hairpin.

With the back straight and subsequent hairpin seen as a natrual overtaking area, it would make sense to place the DRS zone along the pit straight, thereby enhancing the overtaking opportunities ?

Here's a link to the article I read....

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/03/29/fia-set-to-extend-drs-zone-for-malaysian-gp/

Will be interesting to see how the respective teams utilise KERS and the DRS system ?

Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff there.

I suppose the pit straight is the obvious place for it but that's a natural passing opportunity anyway, into the first corner, isn't it?
So all it will do is give someone the chance to get past before the braking zone.

Welcome to the site :)

I do wonder whether 700m might be a bit long considering it is in an area where overtaking is quite possible already this time. I also think drivers already being relatively up to speed when they can use it will have a big effect because half of it on the Melbourne straight was simply getting up to speed. I shall wait and see though. I'm hoping for a good race regardless of the DRS. I think the tyres could be the most interesting factor this week.

P.S Welcome to the forum Hector. :)

There are 3 places where they could conceivably place a DRS-zone at Sepang.

The first is the obvious one down the pit straight.
The second is the one down the back straight into the hairpin.
The third is through turn 3 (which is flat out) up to turn 4.

The only problem with this speculation is that it could all be rendered moot by the Kuala Lumpur weather, which has been inclement at best in the last couple of years.

Its difficult for us to form a concrete opinion on the DRS since we've only seen it in action in the unsuitable Albert Park. I'm sure come the 2012 Malaysia Grand Prix we'll all be here, telling the FIA that they've put it in the wrong place!

Either that, or they'll put it in the right place! ;)

Welcome to the site coH, nice to see ya! :moustache:

You are right teabag about the weather. Although i have my fingers crossed it will rain. We won't learn anything about the DRS, but we won't need it for the race anyway if it rains. There is no doubt more excitement comes from rainy races. That is why i think Bernie's artificial rain idea and greener engines idea are contradictory. Why spend loads of money investing in cleaner engines to stop unpredictable weather. I say reduce the restrictions on emissions. Have it so that the cars do so much damage to a cities eco-climate that when we come back around the next season, all it does is rain. :D

I don't normally like wet races but if it means the monstrosity that is DRS is disabled then I'd welcome it.

Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff there.

I suppose the pit straight is the obvious place for it but that's a natural passing opportunity anyway, into the first corner, isn't it?
So all it will do is give someone the chance to get past before the braking zone.

Welcome to the site :)

Exactly right if they extend the zone to 700 metres.The car behind coming out of a much slower corner than Austrialia will pass the car in front with the wing activated about 100 metres before the next braking zone.

Welcome Hector.

I will paste what I wrote in another thread, since I think it's relevant :

"Not sure I like that, but we will see.

If they put it on the 2nd last corner, the quick one, we will see a similar situation to Australia IMO. Drivers struggling in turbulence to really make use of it. That decision was criticised, but from where I'm standing, it provided a pretty good balance, because it still meant you had to be better out of the corner than the guy in front. I think if it was on the exit of a slower corner we'd see more overtaking, and I think more of it would be "gimmes".

If they put it down the pit straight with the 100m increase we could see a lot of overtaking since it is pretty easy to set up an overtake at the last turn into the 1st corner on the next lap.

In a way it'd be better at Malaysia if they put a 450m zone down the back straight to the last corner and a 250m zone from the last corner onto the pit straight. That way, you'd have to be better out of the 2nd last corner which is a tricky one especially in turbulence. Then, with a 450m boost you'd have a shot at an overtake into the last corner. If you don't make it, the 250m zone could keep you close for turn 1 on the next lap."

My only concern would be that the braking zone for Turn 1 is shorter than that for the final hairpin, and furthermore drivers can 'hang on' around the outside of 1 and reclaim the position into Turn 2. But perhaps that's what the spectators would prefer anyway...

If sportsman has his calculations right, and I'm sure he does, then it may all be over before the braking zone in any case.

My only concern would be that the braking zone for Turn 1 is shorter than that for the final hairpin, and furthermore drivers can 'hang on' around the outside of 1 and reclaim the position into Turn 2. But perhaps that's what the spectators would prefer anyway...

Would prefer DRS if there was a repass opportunity!

Will everyone have to brake earlier to use DRS?

Interesting there is a mention of using GPS to measure track position in the article, maybe an automated system could be put in place. I suppose it should be left up to the driver if they want to use the system or not though.

BTW, welcome Hector. Found you and Avatar if you want it.

hectorhimself.jpg

Now we have Keke and Hector all we need is Zsa Zsa and we have the set. Should I change my user name? :snigger:

I think the GPS system should be used so that the wing snaps shut as soon as the driver is 0.1 seconds behind. They'll be close enough to either outbreak the driver in front or slipstream them, but they wouldn't be able to use the DRS to simply drive past them.

Back
Top Bottom