Loeb to race in Abu Dhabi?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
A whole variety of sources claim Sebastien Loeb is in talks/has had talks with Torro Rosso about a one off drive at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Anyone any idea what the point of this would be? Buemi is making a fair fist of it and Jamie whatisface hasn't done a bad job so far (stunning if you use Badoer as the yard stick to measure him against) so what would be the benefit to STR of putting this aging rally driver into their F1 car?

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=344277&FS=F1

The only thing I can think of is that STR need to use up the stock of Sebastian name stickers they have in a locker back at the factory...

FB said:
The only thing I can think of is that STR need to use up the stock of Sebastian name stickers they have in a locker back at the factory...
:D
The whole Toro Rosso/Sebastiæn thing is just weird.

Like you though, I can't see the point of a one off guest drive.
Coupled with the fact that he's not an F1 driver and no testing is permitted, he's likely to be even more off the pace than Badoer.

Perhaps there's a financial aspect to it? Either Loeb or his sponsors are paying a fee to STR?
Or maybe it's an indication of Loeb's future plans?

Hoepfully this story will just quietly die as it will benefit neither team nor current drivers.

I must be missing something, I got confused at the outset with Rossi saying he had been in talks with Ferrari about a drive too...

I thought you could only get a super licence through driving an F1 car or being the reigning champion in a lower racing series...

I know I must be missing something but it seems to me it would be useful if you had achieved that championship through the use of four wheels on tarmac, otherwise we'll probably find Toyota fielding the Japanese drifting champion, or maybe we should raise a petition to include Tony Hawks!

frog-n-flymo said:
or maybe we should raise a petition to include Tony Hawks!

He's good on radio 4 - not sure about his driving skills tho ;)

Tony_Hawks011361_display.jpg

As he keeps getting e-mails about skateboarding he sends back funny replies:

http://www.tony-hawks.com/skateboarding.php

cider_and_toast said:
I've heard Sir Chris Hoy has a slot in his callender for the rest of the year. LOL
In a response to Danica Patrick, can we have Victoria Pendleton please?

Caution - May require discretion if viewing at work

sport-graphics-2008_693335a.jpg

FB said:

If Buemi is partnered with Loeb, there may be a confusion within the team over what to call the drivers. Buemi and Loeb sounds very impersonal, so a nickname for one of the drivers seems the way to go. As Buemi was at the team first, he would be called sebastian, so Loeb has the nickname.... I suggest Ear.

This story is gaining traction (see what I did there? :D ).

[bg=#E3001A]Autosport[/bg] Loeb to join DPR for Jerez test

As far as I am concerned it's nothing more than a gimmick and useful only for promotion of Toro Rosso and Séb Loeb.
I hope it doesn't go ahead as it's unfair on the contracted drivers.

(Not to mention the fact that I'll have to do loads of updates to the data )

Surely this is just a gimmick, and is in my opinion opposed to the Toro Rosso philosophy of giving potential Red Bull Racing drivers experience in Formula One in readiness for a possible move to their team.

Back
Top Bottom