Liberty Media buy F1

Ther are strong arguments for that view P1, there are probably stronger arguments for making sure the Scuderia stay in F1 although giving them a veto over rules changes doesn't make any sense to me.

I take issue with the idea that Mercedes have any historical value to F1 as they weren't in the sport from 1955 until returning as an engine supplier in 1994 and MANY teams have had marketable and remarkable drivers, not just Mercedes. I certainly don't believe that having Micheal Schumacher in their driver line up, when he was well past his prime, did anything for the sport and most of his greatest achievements were in a Ferrari.

More of an issue for me is that any of the teams should have any input in to the rules, running and governance of the sport. The governing body should set the rules and the teams should decide if they want to take part when presented with them. The most competitive era in F1 was when very few manufacturer teams were taking part. The regulators need to work out how we get back to that whilst keeping some of the manufacturer teams involved

Personally I think F1 would be better off without Ferrari.

for me i think mercedes are a far bigger threat than ferrari at the worse ever were but this might just me being young & it being a long time ago. im not really a ferrari fan, i grew up with Jordan, BAR & McLaren. are that ferrari are there for racing as much as they say they'll leave & have alot in common with a football/sports fan. the amount of times ive heard people say im never going to football again, wasting my time. then are back a week later. because F1 needs ferrari & Ferrari needs F1. just look at the difference between Ferrari winning Le Mans class & Leclerc winning the Italian GP

Mercedes feel robotic, designed to suck the joy the out of the sport at times. as Sainz said something about race at monza & i thought how Wolff had to be a bit privately annoyed that the races Mercedes arent in, is 1 of the most enjoyable & feel good races for many a year & front pages everywhere. when mercedes win its a bit of a footnote

It would wipe out 30% of the grid mind. Down to 14 more on the grid. I'm sure Merc would fill it back up with puppet teams but still....

would having a ferrari trio really affect things. because i know this is big claim but arent they F1 biggest underachievers all things considered for the last 70yrs

They could have a trophy for the winning constructor named after a great engineer/team principal, perhaps Colin Champman? And one for drivers named after a great driver from the past, say Jim Clark? Just thinking out loud...

Ferrari need the F1 for marketing their road cars, without racing their roadcars will loose that racing aurora and that will affect sales, Aston Martin entering under their own name (even better with their own engine) will take sales from Ferrari if they drop out of F1

but as i said above look at the difference between Ferrari winning Le Mans class & Leclerc winning the Italian GP. 1 was global news + national celebration & the other even Italians didnt know Ferrari had won the class

ferrari prestige comes from F1 even if the next few years will be interesting but they have bit of help after chase carey just saved them £175m a year

How did he save the £175 million?
cost cap

the 2018 - 2019 budget was something like £325m - £350m depending on different reports. so (long overdue) £150m cost cap to save themselves saves them minimum £175m
-------------------------------------
edit - got my £ & $ mixed up its $145m (£113m) so id underestimated it could saving of $300m (£235m)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom