Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I'm not completely sure how there is a connection between an element of hipocrisy in someone who travels the world telling us that the planet matters and racism. Call him our for not practicing what he preaches on the environment by all means but, unless you are also black or of mixed race, don't pretend to know what sort of discrimination Hamilton has experienced as I know, as a white man, I can't.

That may be so FB but supporting vandalism is not on, whether or not in this day and age the statue should stand is moot, however the guy was a benefactor to the city of Bristol, he was involved in a form of trade that was legal at the time.
The slave trade was a very complicated business and involved many nationalities despite many denials today, the Arabs collected the captured Africans and took them to markets at the coast, there ships captains or agents bid for them, the captains were many nationalities, as were the agents, some of whom were black Africans.
By todays standards the trade is and was abhorrent, many actions in the past were also abhorrent, children were executed or sent to the colonies to work on farms or other industries, in other words state slaves, whole races in the Americas were annihilated or enslaved for religious reasons, but the Popes and the Kings that supported those atrocities still have statues standing in many European cities as well as some South American cities.
So yes Lewis is right to bring attention to racism but why pick just one and one statue, history should not be buried, but with todays woke PC world then explanations of why and what the statues represent can be attached to the plinths, Lewis is wrong to condone or encourage vandalism irrespective of personal reasons, the destruction of history is the actions of totalitarian states or anarchists, not sure whether he would want to be labelled an anarchist.

Again, I am white and a man so I have no idea of the impact of racism and sexism as these have never been a problem for me. My earlier point was not about the recent protest, these are probably not for discussion in this thread, rather for other places on this board. My specific point was the connect of one type of activism with another in one of the earlier posts. It just seemed to be an excuse to slag Hamilton off.

I'm no great fan of his, I think some of the stuff he comes out with about the planet and veganism it bullcrap and hyprocritcal. But I would not deny him a platform, as a man of mixed race, to express an opinion on a society which clearly favours white skin over black or brown skin, and as someone who has succeded in a sport which is clearly lacking in diversity across every strata.

I'm not completely sure how there is a connection between an element of hipocrisy in someone who travels the world telling us that the planet matters and racism. Call him our for not practicing what he preaches on the environment by all means but, unless you are also black or of mixed race, don't pretend to know what sort of discrimination Hamilton has experienced as I know, as a white man, I can't.
Hamilton is pushing an issue which he supposedly wants to fight by thinking in categories, i.e. in terms of colour, I'm black, you're white, you're red, you're green, you're blue. As I've said, there's diversity in F1, not by colour, but culturally. In terms of diversity, this is what matters, because skin colour adds nothing unless one's focussed on identifying themselves and others by their skin colour.
Do we need more people of colour in F1? No, we need the best in terms of skill, whether it be engineering or driving regardless of colour. Whilst Hamilton has been a victim of racism, he seems to forget that Ron Dennis decided to support him over some British kid.

Criticizing that the sport is predominantly made up of white people is a joke in itself considering it's origins, namely Europe which is historically white, only with the influx of people from former British colonies - Windrush - did the number of people of colour increase in Britain but they still only make up 3% of the population, 13% in the US. I don't see people talking about lack of diversity surrounding the NBA, where black people make up 80% of all players. What about white people in the NBA or for that matter, why don't we talk about Asians for once?

Mod Chat.

Two racial slurs that breached site rules being designed to offend or be deliberately inflammatory have been removed from this post.

All posters are reminded that, while CTA supports the free expression of opinion the site rules are to be strictly adhered to.

Thanks

C_a_T the Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember an instance of Hamilton making fun of his nephew wearing a PURPLE DRESS, yet he portrays himself as an activist on all fronts; racism, sexism, veganism, climate change, social inequality. Let's be honest the list is endless as long as he's in line with popular opinion and can find a way to profit from it - good management.

It's all about keeping up the illusion. I can't take him serious, he's lost all credibility.

Last edited:
What about all those white German drivers doing **** all for the environment and civil rights, eh?

Not to mention the Italians.

Whatboutism ... got to love it.

Mod Chat

Clearly this is an extremely emotive subject with strong opinions from everyone.

Please keep within site rules or this thread may need to take a break to let people cool off.

Thanks

C_a_T the Mod

I will say this none of us understand what Hamilton had to go through as a youngster to succeed in his karting days subjected to all sorts of horrible racial stereotype abuse from his rivals who were predominantly upper class white.

Clearly the events of last two weeks has bought out some old wounds and nightmares from his personal experience and that was nearly 30 years ago so it appears some attitudes in people have not changed . He is asking for equality. This subject is running further deeper with now connections traced back to imperialism and slave trade

I will say this none of us understand what Hamilton had to go through as a youngster to succeed in his karting days subjected to all sorts of horrible racial stereotype abuse from his rivals who were predominantly upper class white.

Is there much actual evidence of this or are we starting to rewrite history here?

Between 1993 and 2001 Hamilton swiftly progressed through the ranks winning 2 British and a European Championship so his race certainly wasn't a block on being signed to teams or his progress. As for his fellow drivers, I could imagine some snide remarks from fellow competitors especially at a young age when they would not realise the full impact of their comments but I can't recall Hamilton talking about "all sorts of horrible racial stereotype abuse" in interviews in the past.

I do recall him empathising with poor people who grew up in slums and claiming his own childhood in the well known UK ghetto of Stevenage being something similar.

Hamilton is pushing an issue which he supposedly wants to fight by thinking in categories, i.e. in terms of colour, I'm black, you're white, you're red, you're green, you're blue. As I've said, there's diversity in F1, not by colour, but culturally. In terms of diversity, this is what matters, because skin colour adds nothing unless one's focussed on identifying themselves and others by their skin colour.
Do we need more people of colour in F1? No, we need the best in terms of skill, whether it be engineering or driving regardless of colour. Whilst Hamilton has been a victim of racism, he seems to forget that Ron Dennis decided to support him over some British kid.

Criticizing that the sport is predominantly made up of white people is a joke in itself considering it's origins, namely Europe which is historically white, only with the influx of people from former British colonies - Windrush - did the number of people of colour increase in Britain but they still only make up 3% of the population, 13% in the US. I don't see people talking about lack of diversity surrounding the NBA, where black people make up 80% of all players. What about white people in the NBA or for that matter, why don't we talk about Asians for once?

Mod Chat.

Two racial slurs that breached site rules being designed to offend or be deliberately inflammatory have been removed from this post.

All posters are reminded that, while CTA supports the free expression of opinion the site rules are to be strictly adhered to.

Thanks

C_a_T the Mod

When Ron Dennis supported him was he not British?

While I do think this was an intentional slight I do think this could be the type of Freudian Slip, that is the underlying issue. Why did you not write "Ron Dennis decided to support him over some white kid."?

In my heart I have no problem with anyone, but in the past I have been guilty of repeating racist jokes to fit in at workplaces, and my previous silence in awkward conversations makes me complicit; I have learnt from my younger days.

I think any media awareness any sports star/musician/actor etc too highlight the issue is a good thing, why wouldn't it be?

Ron Dennis decided to support him over some white kid."?

Please read the Mod Chat at the bottom of that post as to why this section of the post was edited.

For the record, there is zero evidence that Hamilton's promotion to the race team, after years of involvement with the McLaren young driver program, had anything to do with race.

He was brought into the team as the reigning GP2 champion, alongside Alonso, to replace a departing Kimi who left for Ferrari and Pedro De LA Rosa who had been racing as stand in for Montoya who had left part way through the previous season.

I think Ecclestone does one of his usual comments to garner attention. Lewis is right Bernie is ignorant and only looks after his elite friends

Back
Top Bottom