Last Day Battles

Was that proved? I didn't know of any proof so I didn't include it!

-----------------------------------------------------------

The dialogue between Villeneuve and his team was broadcast live through his pit-radio communication wasn't it?
"Remember McLaren have helped us this year Jacques..." :)

Actually, the only time team orders bothered me was Jerez in 1997, when there was an agreement between 2 different teams as well as an agreement within the McLaren team to let Mika H win. I really thought that that sort of collusion was over the top.
-----------------------------------------------------------

The dialogue between Villeneuve and his team was broadcast live through his pit-radio communication wasn't it?
"Remember McLaren have helped us this year Jacques..." :)

I remember that too. Williams did give Mika his win - then for the next two years Hak was unstoppable. I always wondered if it would have been different in 98/99 if Mika hadn't got the that win at Jerez in 97.

Maybe it was a gift. On the other hand, the only thing that mattered to Williams in that race was the WDC. Villeneuve didn't need to win. I remember that after Schumachers' attack JV radioed to the pits that his car felt funny. They were taking no risks, didn't want to push the car. When Hakkinen closed they weren't going to take any chances. All Villeneuve needed was a single point, then he'd take the title.

What bothers me more, is the way the STR of Vergne jumped out of the way of Vettel in the last race. What happened in Jerez 97 is perfectly explainable.

This one of the best articles I've read on here, if not the best.

How you have managed to get all that information on all the title battles from those years is quality.

Got one question to ask, as I've never heard of this rule, what is the "dropped points rule"?

Great article teabagyokel!! Re Hamilton, I thought the suggestion was that he hit the pit lane limiter, but anyway...As an ex-software developer I can definitely confirm that things happen, just like it would have been easy to remove the code from the traction control software of the Benetton, or render it genuinely inert, rather than leaving it there but not visible to anyone who didn't know how to get there ... :thinking::shocked:

Just seen this & brilliant article. Always great to read the races from.50/60's as i dont know much from that time, its rare i celebrate an f1 win like a last min football goal but i did twice button in montreal 2012 & when Lewis won in 2008

Id never seen a brit in a title battle because i absoultely gutted in 2007 when his engine cut out & dropped him to the back. Then the final few laps in 2008 i thought its happening again while he struggling to keep vettel behind & then vettel overtook pulling away. I was gutted & then when we saw glock. I was dancing around the house as all the tension of 07 & 08 vanished

Back
Top Bottom