Last chance to hear the current engines - should I attend a GP this year?

Mika's Italian Tears

Points Scorer
This may be slightly off topic but I was just wondering whether I should visit a GP this year (as against a GP next year or so). My primary consideration for this is the new turbo engines and the way they sound.

I have visited a GP before and frankly the only substantial reason for me that rationalizes the visit is the engine sounds - that's the thing I like the most over a race weekend (I can't afford grandstand tickets - and as per my last experience, its very difficult to actually follow the action when you are at the track - you only get a fleeting glimpse of the race, despite the TV screens).

So Im thinking if this is the last season when I can experience the current-gen engines, it may actually make sense to go for it!!!

You may as well :). But wasn't there reports a few weeks ago saying that the engines won't sound less spectacular next year - they were going to fit noise enhancers or something?

Turbo engines will sound different, whether this is better or worse is entirely subjective. I saw cars race in '81 (mainly normally aspirated) and '82 (more turbos) and, to be honest, I just wanted to see F1 cars going round and the roar they may whatever the motor is.

There is an argument that the exhaust note of a properly tuned turbo is nicer than hat of the current engines. Plus looking at technology used today in road cars there is a lot to be said for the performance of a turbo car with the appropriate exhaust fitted which creates a fantastic sound along with improved performance.

As long as the turbos go with a recirc valve rather than a dump valve I will be happy with the noise, just don't want it to sound like a chavved up renault clio on the approach to every corner...

You may as well :). But wasn't there reports a few weeks ago saying that the engines won't sound less spectacular next year - they were going to fit noise enhancers or something?
I'll bet that was a Bernie idea!!! I wonder how many teams want to carry the extra weight of a noise enhancer, maybe they could fit bird scarers as well. (Sorry I'll get my coat)

Back
Top Bottom