Last chance to hear the current engines - should I attend a GP this year?

Mika's Italian Tears

Points Scorer
This may be slightly off topic but I was just wondering whether I should visit a GP this year (as against a GP next year or so). My primary consideration for this is the new turbo engines and the way they sound.

I have visited a GP before and frankly the only substantial reason for me that rationalizes the visit is the engine sounds - that's the thing I like the most over a race weekend (I can't afford grandstand tickets - and as per my last experience, its very difficult to actually follow the action when you are at the track - you only get a fleeting glimpse of the race, despite the TV screens).

So Im thinking if this is the last season when I can experience the current-gen engines, it may actually make sense to go for it!!!

mjo

Procrastinating
Contributor
You may as well :). But wasn't there reports a few weeks ago saying that the engines won't sound less spectacular next year - they were going to fit noise enhancers or something?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Turbo engines will sound different, whether this is better or worse is entirely subjective. I saw cars race in '81 (mainly normally aspirated) and '82 (more turbos) and, to be honest, I just wanted to see F1 cars going round and the roar they may whatever the motor is.

Reactions: Jen

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
There is an argument that the exhaust note of a properly tuned turbo is nicer than hat of the current engines. Plus looking at technology used today in road cars there is a lot to be said for the performance of a turbo car with the appropriate exhaust fitted which creates a fantastic sound along with improved performance.

As long as the turbos go with a recirc valve rather than a dump valve I will be happy with the noise, just don't want it to sound like a chavved up renault clio on the approach to every corner...

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
You may as well :). But wasn't there reports a few weeks ago saying that the engines won't sound less spectacular next year - they were going to fit noise enhancers or something?
I'll bet that was a Bernie idea!!! I wonder how many teams want to carry the extra weight of a noise enhancer, maybe they could fit bird scarers as well. (Sorry I'll get my coat)

Top Bottom