Korean GP in danger of being called off

Life_W12 said:
:givemestrength:

The engine sound from that video sounds a lot different to the normal RB engine and they also sound like they're using 6 gears

Sorry W12.I watched the video and listened to the engine and also noticed the tyres.
Firstly it was nowhere near racing speeds but nonetheless it will provide data.The telemetery will show grip to power ratio irrespective of the tyre fitted.Is it a grippy surface or is it slippery.
The amount of work that the diff is doing which will indicate camber.All of this is useful information which can be used to improve simulator setup.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is still another layer to be added to the surface so you have to hope that Red Bull won't get any advantage from this "test". I wonder if Ferrari plan like to make a "publicity film" the weekend before the race...

Well Korea is the only circuit for which Red Bull won't be producing a simulator video so you would have to presume that they don't have enough data to do so.

I don't think this run by Karun will be particularly useful to them.

I would guess I am not the only one who bought the F1 2010 game this week, I played a few laps of the Korea track, not quite sure what to make of it. I know it is utterly unscientific and unrepresentative of the race itself but the track is ... interesting.

Felt very flowing to me, I think would reward very smooth driving like Buttons but very difficult to get right.

Anyone had a go, opinions? (that is, who knows if we will see this track this year, getting very close now).

After a conversation in the pub......... yeah yeah I know.

If it is called off, what happens? Could any team lodge a protest? I'm thinking specifically of McLaren and Ferrari here, currently they think they have 4 races left to make up the difference to the leaders, should this be cut by 25% through no fault of their own they may have legitimate concerns?

Also, the teams will have booked all their logistics months in advance and paid deposits for transport (probably by sea) from Japan to Korea + all the staff accommodation and ancillaries. That's going to be a hefty bill.

Is it not FOM's responsibility to ensure that the race will go ahead and that the facilities (i.e track and pits, paddock are up to scratch) and therefore couldn't costs be recouped from them? it's not like they couldn't have predicted this, inspecting a new race track almost 2 weeks before the race is unheard of.

Speshal said:
After a conversation in the pub......... yeah yeah I know.

If it is called off, what happens? Could any team lodge a protest? I'm thinking specifically of McLaren and Ferrari here, currently they think they have 4 races left to make up the difference to the leaders, should this be cut by 25% through no fault of their own they may have legitimate concerns?
Hmmm, that's a very interesting point :thinking:

I have no doubt FOM will have very severe penalties in their contract with the circuit but what about the teams?

With less than 4 weeks to go, it's looking increasingly likely that it won't go ahead.
I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

Brogan said:
I have no doubt FOM will have very severe penalties in their contract with the circuit

Circuit/facilities inspection due on 11th Oct.

well apparently the circuit will be left off the calendar for 2 years, which would put KOVC and therefore the whole future of the race in dire jeopardy.

Basically it's a shitstorm and should have been sorted out months ago.

Bernie's great push for new venues may well come back to bite him on the ass, as he has previously stated the buck stops with him.

Should it go ahead at his assistance with unfinished/unsafe areas of the tracks, fewer grandstands/spectators a) he will have egg on his face and b) hopefully CVC will realise he's too old for the job.

Should it be cancelled I foresee massive legal challenges and whoever wins at the end of the season if it's less than 25 points it will always be seen as tainted/unfair/undeserved.

Sakari said:
There will be racing in Korea... the track did pass the FIA inspection, so that's good news for us F1 fans :thumbsup:

Hooray :D

Don't tracks leech oil when they are curing and with the track only just done could this cause any problems.

I have a vague recollection of a Grand Prix being called off in the mid/late 80's as the recently laid track started to peel away in foot square lumps when the cars went over it. Let's hope that tarmac laying technology has moved on and we don't see something similar in Korea.

Speshal said:
Sakari said:
There will be racing in Korea... the track did pass the FIA inspection, so that's good news for us F1 fans :thumbsup:

Hooray :D

Don't tracks leech oil when they are curing and with the track only just done could this cause any problems.

Very unlikely.Today there a additives you can add to the very thin wearcote to avoid that problem.The track for the RoC at Wembley was treated with this additve and that had only two days to cure.No problem there even with all the donuts performed.

sportsman said:
Very unlikely.Today there a additives you can add to the very thin wearcote to avoid that problem.The track for the RoC at Wembley was treated with this additve and that had only two days to cure.No problem there even with all the donuts performed.

And remember, the media are just looking for their first possible opportunity to criticise any kind of surface that exists beneath that particular dome!

Back
Top Bottom