Kimi Räikkönen

Probably one of the coolest drivers ever to grace F1 alongside James Hunt.

His part life-style may not have been to some teams liking in F1 but you can't deny that Kimi was probably one of the best drivers on the grid from 2003-09. He should have won more championships than he did!

Kimi won his one and only F1 Championship in 2007. Kimi won 18 races, 16 pole positions, scored 62 podiums and claimed 35 fastest laps in his time in F1.

Kimi is probably the must unluckiest driver to ever grace F1 and the amount of retirements he had no fault of his own were lots.

Kimi won his first GP in 2003 winning the Malaysian GP and he claimed his last victory in F1 at the 2009 Belguim GP.

Kimi started his F1 career in 2001 driving for Sauber, he then went on to drive for Mclaren and Ferrari before quitting the sport in 2009.

Kimi produced probably the 2 most funniest moments to happen in F1 over the last 10 years, when he said :censored: at the Brazilian GP in 2006 when Schumi first retired from F1 and the other one at the Malaysian GP where the race was red flagged and he went to the garage and got into shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops and started eating ice-cream.

Whether you liked him or not you can't deny his talent, he produced one of the comebacks of the past 10 season by starting near the back of the Japan GP in 2005 and went on to win it! Probably one of his best race wins in F1.

Did you like Kimi or Not?

I have to say, it's quite surprising. I am quite happy, but also quite surprised.

Why Lotus-Renault? The team is on a decline, they have lost most of their good engineers, Bouillier has shown his true colours this year, above all that, it's a two year deal? Not sure what his plans are with that as most of the top teams will have drivers sewn up, apart from Red Bull, and I doubt he will go back to Ferrari.

Also heard that Bouillier might be gone next year, I hope so! Would be funny if it's on Raikkonen's contract.

He must have seen something with that team that I haven't.

He must have seen something with that team that I haven't.

I think he saw in the small print of the contract they were willing to pay him large sums of money, I think thats when he saw something in the team.

As for Eric Boullier going - think thats wishful thinking on your part matey

I think he saw in the small print of the contract they were willing to pay him large sums of money, I think thats when he saw something in the team.

Considering that the team is in a bad financial situation, I don't think that's the case. That's the twist several have put on it for his negotiations with McLaren, then Williams, now seemingly with Lotus-Renault, and for the other two it's been known that's not been true.

Kimi did not sign for MClaren because a) he demanded to be on the same at least as Lewis b) he was not willing to do the sponsorship commitments as required as well

Its situation at Williams is interesting how it broke down so quickly for Renault to snap him up although Bouillier did mention that his management have been calling him so Eric was not saying much other than the team needs to attract world class drivers

Eddie Jordan doubts the team being capable of winning races with either Grosjean, Senna or Petrov

Kimi did not sign for MClaren because a) he demanded to be on the same at least as Lewis b) he was not willing to do the sponsorship commitments as required as well

Its situation at Williams is interesting how it broke down so quickly for Renault to snap him up although Bouillier did mention that his management have been calling him so Eric was not saying much other than the team needs to attract world class drivers

Eddie Jordan doubts the team being capable of winning races with either Grosjean, Senna or Petrov

Maybe Eric brokered a deal to exchange one of his drivers - Senna or Grosjean for Kimi via talks with Renault sport

a) You can't confirm that as it was rumours.
b) Martin Whitmarsh came out a year later explaining why he didn't sign him, and that was because he wanted to do some part-time Rally, which McLaren in the past have never let him do. Plus he had other options than F1.

There's more to contracts than one thing, instead money is a common theme that seems to be brought up in contracts to the press as it's the easy way out, either that, or designated number 1.

Considering that the team is in a bad financial situation, I don't think that's the case. That's the twist several have put on it for his negotiations with McLaren, then Williams, now seemingly with Lotus-Renault, and for the other two it's been known that's not been true.

So you think Kimi is racing for free? interesting.

a) You can't confirm that as it was rumours.
b) Martin Whitmarsh came out a year later explaining why he didn't sign him, and that was because he wanted to do some part-time Rally, which McLaren in the past have never let him do. Plus he had other options than F1.

There's more to contracts than one thing, instead money is a common theme that seems to be brought up in contracts to the press as it's the easy way out, either that, or designated number 1.

Ferrari's contract with Kimi then was something like

if he races for them in 2010 it was $50m a year

if he did not race for them and not race for another team he would get $30m a year or so

Mclaren offered less than $20m for him which is less than Lewis who was on $25m a year

apart from the rallying there was also the sponsors commitments which Kimi has never been a fan of doing

I should add Kimi;s offer was more than that Jenson was willing to accept to drive for MClaren

Don't be surprised if Kimi is getting paid through sponsors outside the Renault team possibly via Red Bull

This is fantastic news as far as I'm concerned.

Adding a World Champ to the grid should make for some interesting/exciting storylines. This is an unprecedented scenario. 6 WDC in 5 different cars. Pretty awesome!

Either Kimi is going to mask the team's deficiencies like Kubica did with the car in 2010 or he will follow other sorry world champions like Mansell and Jones in making disastrous come backs and showing their age

If Kimi is fired up then we will see the pre 2008 Kimi not the lazy does not care post 2008

Better decision going to Renault than Williams anyway :)

That depends on what Dani Bahar/ Proton have planned for the Lotus Brand. At Williams you could not start any lower but at least they have a decent designer in Mike Coughlan to oversee the car

At Renault its much the same situation with so many people leaving Enstone - no one is quite sure how they will fare when its obvious know Kubica made the car look better than it should be

Kimi was my favourite driver when i was younger, then he joined Ferrari and i hated him - as fickle relationships in sport often go. Now he has returned, i can't wait to see him drive again. If he returns to his old form, i'd say we could soon have 5 drivers who are exceptionally quick on the grid: Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen and hopefully Kubica if/when he returns. You add name such as Button, Rosberg and rookies Di Resta and Perez to the list and we have one of the best F1 grids for decades. And that is in a generation where pay drivers are so common.

Bring on 2012.

Back
Top Bottom