Is Vettel really doing a Button (2009)

I would say he's doing more of an Alain Prost (1993) and just pacing himself to the finish.

Vettel 2010: 1,1,2,1,1,1,2,1,2,4,2
Prost 1993: 1,Ret,3,1,1,4,1,1,1,1,12,3,12,2,2,2

After 11 races
Vettel: 234 (or 87 under 1993 scoring)
Prost: 202 (or 77 under 1993 scoring)

A straight forward awnser; No.

Why?
Well for starters the situations are completly differnt. In 09 Brawn were somewhat underfunded, under-prepeared and a lot of things (Merc engines for example) were thrown together at the last minute. Remember while everybody were preparing for a long season. Brawn Then ex honda staff, were on there way to the job centre wandering where the next pay packet was going to come from. In hindsight, well for me, it shouldn't of been any suprise that they dramatically fell away during the season. Little sponsor money, updates coming in as they cam opposed to prepeared phases during the season.

RedBull however have good money, good stabalized team, there reigning champions, so no question about being there and doing that. Yes theyve been dragged back, in terms of race weekend pace by ferrari and McLaren. But at the moment its at the 'its just a blip' stage. They have shown theycan maintain pace over others during a season before. If i was Horner or Vettel i wouldn't be worrying yet, Although I would be getting a little tetchy about the updates that are due on the car.

Also, you'll note i mention how Brawn fell away from the front dramatically, RedBull have not done this. Remember Brawn ended up at one stage of the season, struggling for top 10 in qualifying, and battling McLarens who were shaking off a shocker start to the season, Ferrari, same situation as Mclaren but never really did it, Toyota, Williams, BMWs at variuos stages in a congested midfield. but RedBull are still getting poles a bad qualifying is getting on the 2nd row, still and Vettel has one 4th place and other wise has not finished outside the top 2. one or two may be down to others misfoutune recently, but Vettel is doing what ne needs getting good hauls of points. In the last 60% (rough estimate) of thew season in 09, Button made the poduim once.

Don't get me wrong, im one of the few it seems that still thinks the title is up for grabs. Vettel has something to defend, and something strong too. but McLaren, and Ferrari have some leg room to start pulling it back. Its going to tae RedBull to drop the ball or have some bad Luck, some may argue there due some with Vettel, but it can be done.

comparing these two situations is, to use an sumwhat odd methaphor, like comparing rugby and football. you use a ball on in an area that looks a lot alike each other, but it just isn't the same sport.

One amazing fact that I realised is that Vettel has nearly accumulated Button's 2009 points. Button had 95, or 100 if you consider that Malaysian GP was stopped with half points, and Vettel has 6 wins, 4 2nd and a 4th resulting in 97 points in old points system.

wow that is a stat Foaad! Even more when you think Lewis won the World Championship with 98 points in 2008!

Just shows how good his results have been

One amazing fact that I realised is that Vettel has nearly accumulated Button's 2009 points. Button had 95, or 100 if you consider that Malaysian GP was stopped with half points, and Vettel has 6 wins, 4 2nd and a 4th resulting in 97 points in old points system.

Best car aside, thats a phenomenal statistic. Considering Seb hasn't had it all his own way and had to fight in most of the races I think he deserves a lot of credit! If he cruises to the title (which I don't think he will) he's earnt the chance to do that with a virtually impeccable season so far! :goodday:

Back
Top Bottom