Iran Grand Prix

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
read this on the BBC gossip page:

Iran may be the next Middle East country to join the F1 circuit after revealing plans to build a track in Parand City, 35km south of Tehran. Alireza Sabbagh, executive manager of the project, said: "Iran has so many young people and there is an increasing tendency for them to drive. F1 has a great future there."

Iran? really? Surely if the general public has a problem with Bahrain its not going to react well to Iran.

Thoughts?

Ah - the old "let's paper over the cracks in our society by hosting a world sporting event" card. As long there are bounteous quantities of unmarked petro-dollars sloshing about begging to be spent frivolously, then I'm sure FOM/CVC will be there circling like sharks to snap them up. :whistle:

Might be tricky for non-Iranian F1 fans to get visas though, eh? Still - it's never about the punters, is it? :bored:

When's the announcement of the Kabul or Pyongyang GP going to happen, do you think?:blink:

It's getting a bit ridiculous now really - pretty soon there'll 2 GPs per week all year round...I suppose there might be folks out there who'd welcome that!

In all seriousness though, Iran is the country which sent a fatwa to Paul the Octopus, and considered not taking part in the 2012 olympics due to the logo. It would be ridiculous to have an f1 race there, and that's before I get to the serious stuff.

In all seriousness though, Iran is the country which sent a fatwa to Paul the Octopus, and considered not taking part in the 2012 olympics due to the logo. It would be ridiculous to have an f1 race there, and that's before I get to the serious stuff.

That was a load of internet and tabloid bilge. Ahmadinejad pointed out the extreme propaganda waged against his country citing Paul the Octopus as just one example. Iran is currently the No.1 US bogeyman since it no longer has the Soviet Union to justify its Military/Industrial complex. When we in "The West" grow up maybe we'll begin the process of bringing some kind of peace in the world - and I mean begin because we sure haven't made much of an effort thus far.

In the meantime, F1 going to Iran may just be a smart move to help break down the barriers and open Iran up to the outside world. After all, F1 going into China hasn't started WWIII ... yet.

This is just plain and simply ridiculous, not going to go down the route of wars but where better for a suicide bomber to strike than a Grand prix that would really get 'the western world'

The first 3 I wouldn't think so india i think i read something about that http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/09/terrorist-attack-on-f1-indian-gp-host.html but you missed out silverstone!
......Silverstone, Austin .......

I was tempted, resisted, but you tempted me again!

Edit: By the way I hadn't caught that news about the New Delhi attack today as I've yet to catch up on international news. I just came a bit too close to "prophecy" for my liking but reflecting on the patterns of history and current affairs can do that.

In the meantime, F1 going to Iran may just be a smart move to help break down the barriers and open Iran up to the outside world. After all, F1 going into China hasn't started WWIII ... yet.

But how many people will show up?

Turkey and Bahrain didn't get many paying spectators and neither did China.

Camels, sheep and falcons, by the way, don't count because they usually don't have wallets and credit cards.

Hehe.

Oh for the love of god, do we really need another GP in Asia?

Why not spread it out and go to somewhere new like say Tunisia, Morocco or South Africa? At least they'd be a decent crowd at those type of countries. Really starting to annoy me now that circuits are been added to the calendar due to money. I can see shortly a Spa or Monza been kicked out of F1 for good!

Back
Top Bottom