How many stops in Canada?

How many stops will the winner in Canada make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jez101

Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me
Contributor
Seeing as everyone enjoyed the Monaco poll so much... ;)

All we know right now is that it is the softs (prime) and supersofts (option) and no one has any idea of degradation rates on these Pirellis at this circuit, this weekend. After seeing Bridgestone here last year though...

Track position must be less of an issue than we saw in Monaco which might push up the number of stops but can anyone imagine making as many as 5 stops work? Drivers only have 3 sets of options (and 3 sets of primes) for qualifying and the race. Stopping 4 times, means doing 2 stints on the primes and perhaps fewer total laps on the much faster option rubber...

Believe it or not, people wanted prizes for getting it right last time :crazy:

So once again, those that get it right all get the "I told you so" award.

But that was not enough last time, so we had to have an "I told you so and I said it first" winner.

If you want to have a punt at the total number of stops too, then go for it. If you are stuck, then try this.

I'm going 4 - I nearly clicked 5 - with 2 DRS zones thats 2 overtakes a lap if you're on fresh rubber. Makes no sense trying to run long.

I actually went for "only" three pit-stops during the race.
I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a lot of people are reading far too much into last year's race.
We have to remember that Bridgstone had brought a softer-than-expected compound last year, and track conditions on race-day were hotter than they'd anticipated, but Montreal, although fairly demanding on tyres, was never considered one of THE most tyre-destroying tracks of the season.

Unless ambient temperatures turn out hotter than seasonal averages I don't expect any more pit-stops than what we're likely to see on many other tracks this year.

I think brakes and fuel consumption are likely to be the biggest factors in Canada, which they usually are at this track.

Does anyone know the pit lane time? Isn't it quite quick because the shortcut it takes straight into T2?

I went for 4, at a place like Canada, it is likely that a lot of drivers in q3 will only do 1 run to preserve tyres meaning there are more fresh tyres available in the race, so therefore they don't need to lose time eeking out a set of tyres.

4 sounds good. Pretty much what we will expect as with the extra DRS zone will allow for more overtakes so don't be expecting a Vettel train like the last race!

3 stops and no need to preserve tyres in qualifying (still in Q1 to have 2 runs on supersoft for the Q3, but not for the race) because the soft tyre will be used for most of the race like in Monaco.

Montreal is not known to be hard on the tyres, last year the bridgestone tyre had mor wear than usual because it didn't provide sufficient grip.

Then again the weather in Montreal might prove unsettled (as it currently is) or worse, and all our scientific little calculations might turn out completely irrelevant anyway...:dizzy:

I am going with a 4 stopper, the supersofts will be key this race 10 laps per tyre is the requisite I think, the drivers that save a set will reap the benefits.

The track layout itself isn't really tyre-eating. The surface was big factor last year, and remember that tyres could do well towards the end of last year's race. I go for 3.

It all depends on how the pirellis 'react' to the surface, and I think that, if it's hot, we could and should get 5 stops in the race

I just cast my vote and said 2.

Why? Because at Monaco, Vettel - according to Pirelli data - could have gone 62 laps on his Softs whilst Kobayashi did 44 laps on Super-Softs. Each only 1-Stopped. This means that the Pirellis are capable of more than what some teams thought. In fact, McLaren made an error in thinking that Vettel's Softs would "fall off a cliff". McLaren didn't do their homework and paid dearly. McLaren snatched a 3rd from the jaws of victory. Button ate up his tyres too much on Stint 2 and lost the race. Worse still, he didn't even finish 2nd!

Given the higher degredation rate in Montreal (v Monaco), they'll need an extra stop and I can see the winner doing 2-Stoppers. Hamilton and Alonso should be aiming at a 3 Stint race if they want to win.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/super-softs-bad-for-mercedes-good-for-sauber-in-canada-valencia.2835/

Well yes but not strictly true.
Vettel as well Kobayashi did stop twice each. Remember, there was a red flag with 6 laps to go?
And Vettel's tyres were all but shot before that, which was why FA would have been in a great position to snatch the lead before the end.

I just cast my vote and said 2.

Why? Because at Monaco, Vettel - according to Pirelli data - could have gone 62 laps on his Softs whilst Kobayashi did 44 laps on Super-Softs. Each only 1-Stopped. This means that the Pirellis are capable of more than what some teams thought. In fact, McLaren made an error in thinking that Vettel's Softs would "fall off a cliff". McLaren didn't do their homework and paid dearly. McLaren snatched a 3rd from the jaws of victory. Button ate up his tyres too much on Stint 2 and lost the race. Worse still, he didn't even finish 2nd!

Given the higher degredation rate in Montreal (v Monaco), they'll need an extra stop and I can see the winner doing 2-Stoppers. Hamilton and Alonso should be aiming at a 3 Stint race if they want to win.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/super-softs-bad-for-mercedes-good-for-sauber-in-canada-valencia.2835/

OK Ray, I can see your argument for a two stop race based on Monaco, however, although Vettel could have gone 62 laps in the last race he would not have won that race if Alonso applied more pressure in those remaining laps, I am not going to say Button would have won due to his driving miss Daisy style of racing.

Your conclusion leads me to believe that a three stop strategy is the fastest way to go.

Back
Top Bottom