How did you become an f1 fan and what made you stay?

Did I say what made me stay? If not it was Michael, which explains my ridiculous bias!

I struggle to know why you like Schumacher so much since you started watching in 2008 and he seems to have a "bad" reputation and those that just recently started watching F1 don't like him that much, you are one of the few I have came across that actually likes him

I struggle to know why you like Schumacher so much since you started watching in 2008 and he seems to have a "bad" reputation and those that just recently started watching F1 don't like him that much, you are one of the few I have came across that actually likes him

Well i only watched the last race of 2008 and I wonder too... (I didnt see any of 2009) Maybe because he was one of the few I've heard of or maybe theres a little german inside my head :unsure:

My Dad was a fan and at the age of 9 he shoved me in front of TV to watch the 1990 French Grand Prix and I watched with amazment as 26 cars screamed round the track. Loved the early battles between them bright red cars and them one that looked like the fags my brother smoked (one of them was called Berger and that was funny) and then was facinated to see some guy call Cappeli not change his tyres and nearly win the race only to be chased down at the end.

From then I was hooked. I think I only missed 2 Grand Prixs since then actually.

I remember James Hunt winning, and making a lego McLaren to celebrate the fact, but I don't really remember watching any F1 until the epic duel of Monaco '92. I drifted away again, before 1994 and Hill vs Schumacher reeled me in.

I spent 95 & 96 in Australia, and got used to watching F1 live at 1am on Monday mornings with Murray Walker - although there were adverts on Channel 9. I've only missed a handful of races since my return to blighty - and I've seen several on hotel TVs in foreign languages (Mrs Bones has never quite forgiven me for spending the first afternoon of our Tunisian holiday watching the Brazilian GP last year, and I watched the 2010 Chinese GP in Holland due to being stranded by the Icelandic Volcano).

1999 and 2009 have been my favourite seasons - I have high hopes for 2019...

Living in farming country in Mid Wales in the early 70s it was not unusual to wake up to find a rally car in the wall which bordered our land on a wicked little right hand kink with a steep little 5 foot descent, once with a pair of blood stained gloves on the nav seat (yuck).
Considering that marshalling was sometimes non existent I was fascinated by the bravery of the competitors and my Dad started taking me to see what we called "jalopy racing" whenever we could find it, at this time Emmo won his second F1 championship and my love of F1 started, one which has never waned.
I will watch any sport with wheels though, yesterday was tough; F1, 125, Moto 2, MotoGP, BTCC (including all the support races), I am glad, though, that I didn't realise there was an Indy race on so I didn't watch that.
My enjoyment of motorsport has been peppered with some tragic experiences, my regard for all who serve to entertain as drivers is immense.

Mine is an old story and some on here already know it - sorry again for regaling you with it :)

I live quite close to Silverstone and on days when the wind was in the right direction I could hear very strange noises - I didn't realise what these were until the mid sixties when one of my brothers got his driving licence and we used to rock up in his old jalopy and pound round an ungated, unsecure strip of land that lead to nowhere. It was huge fun! Beat country lanes and field driving any day of the week.

Then as a cash-strapped teenager, I answered an ad. in the local paper for waiting staff at Silverstone circuit - in a tea tent until I went to college which meant I got to see an awful lot of races.

F1 particularly caught my fancy because it was fast, exciting and, to a degree, elitist - but more importantly these guys just wanted to be there. They made the sport and their antics made the spectacle.

The first I recall is watching a race at Monaco, where a name uttered by Murray, which made me chuckle.

that name was Rene Arnoux. what a great name I thought, and watched as he crashed his car and strolled down to the sea. I cannot remember the year, or how old I was, and my memory being terrible I can remember watching from then, when i was able and allowed.

certain events stick in the memory, and I can recall events from others recollection, but I just love watching the racing, seeing the cars develop over the years, drivers coming and going and I have always thoroughly enjoyed it, even the years others have thought as dull, although I think I am a little more picky now, mostly from the baseline which is set by the regs and expectations pre season.

nowadays o am as interested in the technology and design of the cars as I am about the racing and the drivers, and in that respect, I find there is more to get your teeth into now than there has ever been, with the possible exception of the active cars of the early nineties.

I shall continue watching for as long as I am able, although I am not sure about my plans for next year.

Well, being from Indianapolis my dad took me to the Indy 500 for the first time when I was 5. I loved it and soon figured out there were 2 other races, so the next year I went to the F1 race also and it just amazed me. The cars and the environment of the event got me hooked, and I would occasionally get up and watch with my dad on Sunday mornings. With time I've gotten more serious about watching, and my DVR gets some use on those pesky Asian rounds.

Went out with a guy who made racing cars, even some F1 ones, but they werent as good as some of his others. Went to some races with him. Caught the bug i guess which then lay dormant for a while. Started getting back into it in the damon era. Been to every Silverstone since '96 when Damon put it on pole. Addicted to Silverstone! It's a highlight of my year. After Damon (I just so wanted him to beat Schumacher) I supported JPM and now Lewis. Ayrton was amazing-I was just getting back in to it then. And Gilles Villeneuve would have been ideal, but I sort of missed him. I like real racers.

I was pretty much raised with motorsport in general, both of my parents and both of my paternal grandparents competed in different events. Started watching F1 in the early 70s with my father and grandfather who were both fans and competitors, my grandfather having competed in some non-championship F1 races in the 50s, although they tended more to the rallying side of the house. If I get round to it I'll scan some of their Monte Carlo pics some day, rallying in an E Type no less. We used to watch the F1 races so frequently that my young ears could predict within a couple of laps when the Renault turbo was going to blow, happy days indeed :)censored: French!!). Have never looked back, although I can put my hand up to a somewhat uninspired period when Schumacher was running away with it every year.

Back
Top Bottom