Heidfeld must improve.

There's little doubt that Kubica would have out-qualified Petrov this year in the majority of instances.

you know what I agree with you - he probably would - but thats just mine and your opinion, we have no way of actually knowing - and its when you start taking things that are opinon and treating them like facts that issues becoming confused.

Why should we be dumping on Petrov?

Petrov has taken that car into Q3 at every meeting.

What's Petrov done that he needs to be criticised about?

taking the car into Q3 every race and still having less points in the championship than his team-mate who's started at the back of the grid for the 2 of the 6 races?

my argument is that neither should be criticised Ray - I'm just saying you easily have a go at one for the exact opposite of the other which is why - as i've said - its strange for Mr Boullier to be making this statement already - unless - as I've again said - its to do with driver switching politics

What's Petrov done that he needs to be criticised about?

Petrov's done absolutely nothing wrong; he's done well. Personally I have my doubts about his overall ability as a driver, and those stem back to his days in GP2. I have reservations about Kobayashi for the same reason.

So one of two things is happening; either my impressions about him are wrong, or he's being flattered in relation to Heidfeld for some reason. I'm too stubborn to assume it's the former without more evidence to confirm it isn't the latter!

taking the car into Q3 every race and still having less points in the championship than his team-mate who's started at the back of the grid for the 2 of the 6 races?

And why is that? You think the reason Petrov has less points is because he's "slow" or "slower" than Heidfeld? :snigger:

The answer, my friends, is in the post directly below...

Galahad said:
Petrov's done absolutely nothing wrong; he's done well.​
Exactly!

Petrov's qualified the car into Q3 every single meeting at an average of, say, 8th on the grid.

Heidfeld was way down the grid in Australia, China and Monaco and fresh Pirelli tyres have inadvetantly bailed out Heidfeld.

Remember all the jokes by Webber and the like about not using up tyres in Qually this year at most circuits?

Well, Nick has been bailed out by fresh Pirellis.

That's one reason why he has more points than Petrov.

Petrov's had car problems at times...and then he was a passenger when Alguersauri mounted Hamilton's rear at Rascasse

And why is that? You think the reason Petrov has less points is because he's "slow" or "slower" than Heidfeld? :snigger:

It really does not matter. The bills are payed by WCC positions, which are decided by points. And points are decided who gets to the finish first, not who is considered "fast" and who is considered "slow".

Heidfeld is a points hooverer. I doubt there'll be anyone who claims he's "faster" than Robert Kubica, but he brought more points home for BMW Sauber in 2009. With Bridgestones.

I'm going to take my leave of this thread soon but i'll say one last thing:

The difference in points between Heidfeld and Petrov is the equivalent of a 6th place. That's not that much. That's 1 point in Old, Old money (Pre 2003).

The difference in qualifying between the two, however, is alarming.

In the end, none of us here makes the call...but Boullier and Allison do. They have the info, we don't.

It was fun debating with my fellow F1 friends, both old (606) and new.

Have a nice day all.

Cheers!

The answer, my friends, is in the post directly below...

laugh it up fuzzball!

but yes the reason Heidfeld has finished ahead of Petrov in races is because he has completed the race distance in a faster time than Petrov - stands to reason doesn't it? I mean if he'd completed the race distance in a slower time than him he'd have been behind him right? try looking at the lap times for all the laps not just one or two.

The thing is Ray that if you actually looked at what I put you'd see I agree - Petrov has been doing a great job this season but to say its clear as day that he's faster than Nick is ridiculous. Post as many double posts as you like Ray but you won't change my opinion - only actual facts and stats (not one's I've manipulated to confirm what I want) will do that.

I mean calm down dear - its only a forum :p

I wonder what Evilwhippet would do if he saw this thread :snigger:

Well Petrov is faster in qualifying and has made the top 10 in every race bar Monaco, Heidfeld hasn't, Heidfeld hasn't been in the top 10 much in qualifying, which gives him the optimum strategy during the race tyre wise, Petrov regularly qualifies 6-10th, while Heidfeld outside the top 10.

Just think that's worth noting.

I do think Petrov is doing a better job, not the best, but better we have seen quite a few mistakes from him this season, yet well he's only 5 points behind Heidfeld.

I do think Boullier is being harsh, but he certianly does have a point I think.

Heidfeld has twice qualified 6th-10th in the races this season. One podium from 6th and one 7th from 9th.

He's finished higher in every race that he's started this year (from any position).

I'm fully aware that the only real comparison that can be made with Nick Hieldfeld is Petrov but if we could kind of keep this thread about Nick that would be appreciated.

This is the bit I don't like.To my mind Boullier should have talked to Heidfeld before making his statement.
By his own admission he doesn't know what is expected of Heidfeld what he needs to do.Surely he should have done that before saying anything.
"I don't know," Boullier told AUTOSPORT when asked what Heidfeld needed to do. "I need to sit down with him and understand his concerns and to have a fair understanding of the situation.

I think going to the press would make Heidfeld more aware of the situation, as the whole world will be watching, good tactic or not, it will certainly wake both of them up

I can't agree with that.Hiedfeld is already very aware not by anything Boullier has said.He has been around a long time and is his own fiercest critic.
I am no fan of any driver.But Heidfeld is probably far more angry with himself by his own standards.Pressuring him via the press is a pointless excercise.
If he knew what the problem was he would rectify it himself.

True, I wasn't saying it was the right thing...

I think also that the car has been out-developed massively as the others have caught, also, I think Boullier is just frustrated by this and also the fact Kubica isn't in the seat, Heidfeld was there to lead the team, as the boss of Renault Boullier doesn't think he's performing to the standards of a leader?

Just a thought...

I have a read a few interesting things on this matter, Nick Heidfeld was expected to beat Petrov quite comfortably, but he isn't doing so, Petrov even out-qualified Heidfeld by 0.4 tenths, now this brings me to my actual point, there are rumours that LRGP are in a financial bother and that Bruno Senna and his bag of sponsorship is in the wings to replace one of the two, now Petrov has good sponsorship too and is matching Heidfeld.

It is a rumour remember, but I think it's worth watching for the future, because I remember Czar on 606 who gets information that we think are rumours but turn out to be true, said a while back that the team have financial issues, and due to this Renault the engine supplier have yet to get paid for their engines and will pull out if they don't get paid.

Hope this helps...:)

Didn't know about the financial issues Sly but as I said earlier I did suspect the whole thing might be driver change politics.

Does anyone remember Jake asking Bruno Senna at Spain whether we'd see him in an F1 seat and him just smiling and saying "I think so"? - Jake said to him then that it seemed like he knew something we didn't

Rasputin it is not news that they have financial problems, Renault don't fund the team anymore, the team was about to leave at the end of 2009, they have Petrov who is effectively (well was) a pay driver, and the main reason he stayed on to this year was because he had huge sponsorship from Russia. But Petrov has proved his worth.

They do have a lot of reserve drivers, I have heard they (Renault) have invested a lot in Romain Grosjean, I think he is quite a good talent and was given an unfair crack, but with so many drivers, they will have to pay them will they not? I Renault are in a bit of problem here driver wise, the way Ferrari where back in 2009.

Main thing is, Heidfeld needs to prove to be the team leader that the team is looking for, so far I have to say he isn't doing the job.

Yeah I knew about the Petrov thing and Renault not funding them anymore but I was under the impression that the Proton deal has made them secure again - secure enough not to have to bring in a driver with a better sponsership deal anyway.

I agree with you on the Grosjean thing as I stated earlier on and I do believe if Grosjean win's GP2 this year he'll be in the Renault seat. I think the plan was for him to replace Petrov but Petrov has shown form they didn't think he had. Add to the fact they have Bruno Senna, Fairuz Fauzy, Ho-Pin Tung and Jan Charouz listed as their test drivers as well as Grosjean - not to mention d'Ambrosio has been pushed into F1 with Renault backing too it makes you wonder why they brought Heidfeld to the team in the first place! obviously regretting that now.

Back
Top Bottom