Green F1

Instead of this, why can't they have what most people see when it comes to being Green.....PLASTIC BINS....why can't we have @ the end of the Pit Lane black bins used Oil Filters, Blue Bins for broken Carbon Fibre, etc etc

The fuel the cars themselves use on the tracks is such a small percentage of the total carbon footprint of F1 I wonder if this is simply the FIA's way of getting more manufacturers into F1, those not used to making V8 motors such as VW (mentioned in Benson's article) and the Japanese and Chinese companies.

DOF_power said:
The whole racecar needs to be changed, it's just a Lotus 72 tweaked to the N-th degree. The worst culprit is the crappy aero drag.

I believe that is how evolution works, yes.

I'll enjoy waiting for your solution for the crappy aero drag situation. I presume that you'd overegulate and end up with identikit cars and no overtaking at the end of the day, since you have (at various points) suggested making just about everything illegal.

Of course, it's a ploy to encourage more manufacturers into F1, but until all the teams build their own engines like Ferrari, or Cosworth can supply everyone, this is a necessary evil.

It may have several benefits for the racing, though. The current frozen engine specs mean development is locked down, and differences between engines are minimised. The new framework will inevitably leave more room for innovation and difference.

Turbo engines should introduce another variable and teams/drivers can offset the level of boost against fuel consumption, so as in the 1980s there should be a mix of conservative/aggressive strategies through the race. This happens already to an extent, but with a turbo the effect should be more pronounced (bigger difference between the different "modes")

An environmental policy may pave the way for a fuel, or energy, limit, which could be a way of controlling the pace of the cars from year to year without constant tinkering with car or tyre dimensions. This might allow more freedom in car design.

They may be drinking lots of fuel on our TV screens, but the running if the cars in the races, quali and practice does not even hit 1% of the sports CFP from flying 1000 people, lorries and cars round the world in random order, or 11..... teams running upwards of 1MKVA electric fans for 10 hours a day.

I like the idea of 1600cc Turbos. I think it will be great, but the philosophy or sales pitch behind it is complete, and utter, BOLLOCKS!

Toyota Prius anyone?

Grizzly said:
They may be drinking lots of fuel on our TV screens, but the running if the cars in the races, quali and practice does not even hit 1% of the sports CFP from flying 1000 people, lorries and cars round the world in random order, or 11..... teams running upwards of 1MKVA electric fans for 10 hours a day.

I like the idea of 1600cc Turbos. I think it will be great, but the philosophy or sales pitch behind it is complete, and utter, horlicks!

Toyota Prius anyone?

It's a shame too, what with the small space on F1 car left for solar panels after the advertising logos, though I would imagine some boffin will work out how to make Solar Panels with the 'Kingfisher' logo on it......

Back
Top Bottom