Formula One's most overrated driver

James Hunt is, to me, the same as if Eddie Irvine had won the world championship in 1999 after Schumi had his leg break at Silverstone. A decent driver but not world champion material, who benefited from a superior driver's massive misfortune.

For me, Hunt doesn't necessarily come into the classification of over-rated, not because he was better than you suggest, but, because his calibre was never at the highest level. He may be over-rated by some, but, like many other drivers might not be over-rated because he hit the level of the expectations.

He won the championship in '76, not because he was the best driver, but, because of the accident to Lauda. Even without the politics of '76, if Lauda had just not started the Nurburgring race, he would have been champion.

Hunt was always seen as a playboy, who on his day, could compete with the best in the world - he was certainly faster than most, but was he ever really touted as a Jim Clark.

Funnily enough I asked Frank about drivers on another forum a few weeks ago. I was claiming just how incredibly bland a lot of them seem to be now and make nice "safe" statements to the press - not helped by social media etc. going crazy whenever they go "off narrative", and his reply was that most of them are actually shy and really aren't that great at dealing with the media. I still kind-of miss the days of the wit of Graham Hill though.

I'm terribly sorry, but to suggest that Jenson Button is a better driver than Mario Andretti is simply ludicrous. Take a look at the roll call of things Mario has won. He is, without doubt, one of the greatest and most versatile drivers of his generation, and probably of all time.

but as we now this topic is about his time in F1. we arent talking about motorsport which he did do very well in other categories particularly winning the indy 500 in 69 & winning class at le mans 26yrs later is impressive. but he got fortunate alot like button to be in ground effect lotus 78 & lotus 79. where nobody could touch them because they were only ones with ground effect. it would be like brawn the only ones with double diffuser for 18 months. its telling that mario andretti had 131 races but 11 of his 12 wins came within a 26 race period & only 1 came without the ground effect in 1971

Jenson Button was brilliant in the wet, to such extent it, he struggled to get the advantage in the later years. because team bosses would tell them to pit as soon as jenson did. he could keep it on the circuit when many aquaplaned off. & it wasnt a purple patch. he scored points in his 2nd race in 2000. impressive in 2002 but politics & alonso meant he lost his seat. stuck it on pole in 2004 at imola 10 podiums finishing 3rd in championship by a mile won his 1st race in 2006, did the business in 2009, was in the title race til decider in 2010, came 2nd to vettel in 2011, beat hamilton over his mclaren spell, beat alonso in 2015

James Hunt is, to me, the same as if Eddie Irvine had won the world championship in 1999 after Schumi had his leg break at Silverstone. A decent driver but not world champion material, who benefited from a superior driver's massive misfortune.

yeah James Hunt considering he had 4 more races than Lauda & only won it by 1pt

Button benefited from a loophole in the rules and brakes which suited him.

Look at the second half of the season after the brake supplier was changed - Barrichello was right there with him.

Hunt the shunt was talented but he was not dedicated enough and if you believe his reputation was too busy knocking and drinking

The trouble with all the world champions that have been brought up on this thread, and yes indeed there are some who are miles better than others, is that no matter how hard you rub that WDC trophy those names aren't going to come off.

The trouble with all the world champions that have been brought up on this thread, and yes indeed there are some who are miles better than others, is that no matter how hard you rub that WDC trophy those names aren't going to come off.

I have an angle grinder which says different!

Button benefited from a loophole in the rules and brakes which suited him.

Look at the second half of the season after the brake supplier was changed - Barrichello was right there with him.

it was a loophole yes, Ross brawn said on the "beyond the grid" podcast, he wasnt keeping anything a secret in the FIA meetings, he brought this up & said are you sure, you got these rules correct because they are supposed to reduce downforce by 50% but with all our reading we are only getting 15%. the teams didnt take them seriously & thought brawn was winding them up

well i know brakes, are a massive thing because its happened recently where a team (i think mercedes) had 2 different brake suppliers because they changed to carbon industries & 1 of the drivers just couldnt get on with it. that driver changed back to brembo.

Back
Top Bottom