Movies Film Thread

Just watched District 9.
A sci-fi movie about aliens but not like any other alien movie you've ever seen before.

We quite enjoyed it.

Can I recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's a Swedish language film but if you can cope with the subtitles (the dubbed version doesn't really work) it's a really good watch. Enjoyed District 9 but thought Avatar was too long and had a very weak story line - it was more about the special effects and I can get that in Dr Who.

Have any of you guys signed up with Lovefilm?

Its the best way to watch films as BD's are still pricey for films that you might only watch once or twice.

I've got Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my list so will be watching that soon.

Brogan said:
Just watched District 9.
A sci-fi movie about aliens but not like any other alien movie you've ever seen before.

We quite enjoyed it.
Oh yeah It's good, but it's kinda old for me :p

I watched Inception last week, best movie of 2010 so far.

F1Lover said:
Oh yeah It's good, but it's kinda old for me :p
We're well behind on movies :D

We only watch them when they come out on Sky and even then they sometimes sit on the planner for months before we get around to them.

If any of you fancy an incredible ride through 70's German left wing politics can I recommend The Baader Meinhoff Complex. In German but subtitled for those (like me) who don't speak the lingo. Brilliant film, gripped me from beginning to end and gave a fascinating insight into a very troubled decade.

I can't believe we've not discussed all that's good on film for so long!

Anyway, last week I read an article saying that Richard O'Brian was updating his follow up film to the Rocky Horror Picture Show, called 'Shock Treatment' and putting it on the stage. I never knew there was a follow up film to RHPS but apparently it was on limited release in 1981 and it tanked at the box office.

Thanks to the magic of youtube I have now seen it in full and I absolutely love it (as do it seems, most people who actually get around to watching it). It's a bit more grown up than RHPS but follows the story of Brad and Janet after they get married in their home tpwn of Denton. The film acurately predicts among other things, reality TV, manipulating ordinary people for ratings, the over reliance on drugs and self help gurus to fix everything and many other things we take forgranted now. The songs are more catchh and in my opinion better than almost all of the songs from RHPS. Besides all that, it even contains a very early on screen appearence by Rik Mayell.

Not an absolute classic and not everyone's cup of tea by a long stretch but if you like Rocky and haven't seen Shock Treatment I urge you to have a look.

No mate, Just a black corset again. She's not played by Susan Sarandon this time either. The only returning actors are Richard O'Brian, Patricia Quin, Charles Gray and Little Nell.

O Brian actually wrote another sequel to RHPS called Revenge of the Old Queen but it was never made into a film due to the failure of Shock Treatment.

You can find copies of the script online though..

I did - I thought it was a much more interesting & exciting 2001: A Space Odyssey (one of the dullest films I've ever seen).

Tonight I am going to see the Imitation Game - I like a bit of Cumberbatch me, but find Knightley unbelievably tiresome.

My favourite films this year have been Fury and Guardians of the Galaxy (although the last 20mins of Fury is absolute tosh).

I thought the action scenes in Fury were well filmed. You are right about the last 20 minutes but it's fun in it's own way. For me though, Fury is badly let down by the scene with the two women in the village. What the hell they were trying to prove with that I have no idea. Brad Pitt's character saying in effect "Son, go and sleep with that girl or I will take her in that room and rape her" didn't sit well with me at all. I know they were trying to show war is hell but come on, there are limits.

We just got around to watching "2012" last night and it is a complete POS. For a disaster film to work, you have to actually care about the characters, but in this film, they annoyed us more than anything, so whether they survived or not didn't matter to us. It is totally dependent upon special effects to hold your attention, and they aren't that good.

Do yourself a favour and avoid seeing this turkey.

I would go further than say they didn't matter to me. I was actually wanting them to die so the film would end. Really terrible film.

I thought 2012 was utter rubbish too, I never even watched the end. The characters were poor, the plot was poor and impossibly implausible, and I find it hard to watch a film which is supposed to not be a spoof when I cannot suspend my disbelief. Unfortunately, the film also failed to fulfill the "So bad it is good" criteria, that may have redeemed it (ala Pacific rim)

I can report that the Imitation Game is, indeed, excellent- top performances all round (even the walking ironing board failed to irritate me, for once!)

The worst thing about 2012 was that whatever peril they were escaping from at the time also went at the same speed as them, whether they were running, driving or flying, the impending doom just couldn't keep up!

We need more films where the good guys don't win like the original Saw, Reservoir Dogs & Watchmen. I can't think of any disaster film where nature wins.

Back
Top Bottom