Movies Film Thread

Age of Ultron isn't bad.
No, you're right, Age of Ultron isn't bad... It's terrible.

RankingMovies
Good (fun) movies
  • Iron Man (2008)
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  • The Avengers (2012)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • Doctor Strange (2016)
  • Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
  • Spiderman: Far From Home (2019)
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
Alright
  • Thor (2011)
  • Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • Thor: The Dark World (2013)
  • Ant Man (2015)
  • Captain America: Civil War (2016)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 (2017)
  • Avengers: Endgame (2019)
  • Spiderman: No way home (2021)
Terrible
  • Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)
  • Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)
Couldn't watch all the way through - so might be good, but most likely terrible
  • The Incredible Hulk (2008)
  • Black Panther (2018)
  • Captain Marvel (2019)
  • Black Widow (2021)
  • Eternals (2021)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Last edited:
Everyone's different 😉

AoU is one of the most important movies in the timeline though because of the character it introduces, how that affects another character, and how the events affect the relationship between the Avengers and authorities.

As for Captain Marvel, I enjoyed the movie but the lead and her acting left a lot to be desired.

Nest up....

Guardians of the Galaxy 7/10

As stated above, we were going to skip this one but we gave it a go.

On the one hand I enjoyed it and it contained all the usual banter, humour and jokes you get in a good Marval film. On the other hand, I found it a bit of a let down.

It suffers from the same problem as several other MCU films in that everything in the plot happens at 100 miles an hour. In many ways GOTG was worse as there was a mcguffin at every turn to save the day. Escaping from a maximum security prison? It took minutes. Move on to the next bit.... More jeopardy, no problem help is a few seconds away, even the finale went almost exactly as briefed. There was very little jeopardy and all in all I found it quite unsatisfying.

Where it really lands though is the humour and relationship between the central players. Even if it was blatantly obvious they were going to get through pretty much every situation with barely a hair out of place. It was enjoyable to watch and I am genuinely looking forward to the sequel.

I really can't help thinking this would have been far, far better as a 10 part series rather than a film.

I want to give it more, it was fun but it only gets a 7 out of 10.

Jist got back from taking my daughter and a couple of her friends to watch the new Disney live action version of The Little Mermaid.

I admit I wasn't up for it but came out having quite enjoyed it.

The visuals are very good and for a PG there were a couple of jumo scare moments that has a real wallop. Melissa McCarthy as Ursula steals the show.

I think it was probably 20 minutes too long but it's not as bad as some of the reviews suggest.

Oh, and anyone who gets wrapped around the axle over the ethnicity of the actress playing Aerial is a racist twat.

Top Gun Maverick.

A movie that couldn't be more gung ho American if it tried.

Good grief!
What an absolute pile of garbage.

Given the original is pretty well known, I'm confused as to what exactly you were expecting from the sequel? (Unless you were after more homoeroticism, there was less of that in this one)

Homophobe!;) As movies go, it's definitely a "put your brain in the fridge and crack a beer" kind of thing. I watched it on a plane, and enjoyed it, but then I was after a plane go vroom, gun go brrrt, missile go whoosh, bomb go boom movie.

It was perfectly good Saturday night brain dead stuff, and I thought it was a lot better than the first one... But I thought that was pants.

One of the blokes I served with in the Navy would watch it at least once a week. I started off disliking Top Gun and a few months into the deployments I'd reached the stage of loathing it.

LOL

Two of my housemates at uni used to do the same. Usually naked. They were strange. One of them went into posh men's clothing, the other joined the army. So not really a massive surprise.

They used to serenade ladies at bars with the "loving feeling" scene, with a reasonable amount of success!

Was he a scientologist when he made the first one?

As an aside, I can thoroughly recommend "Bare Faced Messiah" about the foundation of Scientology. It's a fascinating cult/religion in that it has successfully survived the death of it's founder.

I love Wes Anderson films, if only for the way they are photographed, so I went to see Asteroid City last weekend. If you like Wes Anderson films you will enjoy this. If you don't, you won't. Meep, Meep!

back from barbie (oppenheimer was full LOL ) 4 of my family were going & thought why not. im interested in the fuss is about ill join

it wasnt what i expected, thats in a good way. i assumed pink, cheesy & silly which it was with some of scenes & the im just ken song & ken fight. but i wasnt prepared for it to as well written, serious & hard hitting at times as it was. it almost a great trojan horse for those issues for young girls. its a good film standalone

i enjoyed the narrator joke about Margot Robbie worrying she not attractive anymore "if we wanted you to believe this we wouldn't have hired Margot Robbie"

20230809_163056.jpg

Last edited:
its like buses you dont see a film for over 18 months & then you see 2 in 2 days LOL

youve got do something on birthday, so went to see new / final Indiana Jones. id been meaning to see it & but never got around to it, it seems it was coming to the end of the run & it was already in 1 of the smaller rooms & only 1 showing a day. like any long running franchise even bond it can be formulaic, so if you've seen any previous you wont be surprised how it goes, but hey if aint broke dont fix it.

so as action film it was was good, harrison ford is still great, 1st thing ive seen phoebe waller bridge acting in, even though ive known her for a while & enjoyed her, like her addition as the now deceased assistant goddaughter . like usual i didnt guess the ending, thought oh no doubt he will do this & this or this will have happen. but im used to that LOL

GoTG 3

Exactly what you would expect but there are some genuinely funny laugh out load moments.

Just remove your brain and put it on the coffee table and enjoy a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom