Movies Film Thread

We watched the Hitman's Bodyguard with Maya last week and while there was a lot of swearing, including Samuel L Jackson's favourite many times over, other than that it was just your typical violent, gun fest.

So we figured the second one -- The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard -- would be similar until we got about 10-15 minutes in and Salma Hayek started talking about trying to get pregnant.
Nope, definitely not appropriate.

This weekend I'm planning a silent movie festival, including Faust, The Phantom of the Opera and Nosferatu. Not sure my good lady will be very enthusiastic about my plans.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

I have no idea why it is so highly rated.

It's just an irritating noise and a visual mess.

I switched off after 10 minutes it was so tiring.

Talking of violent action comedy, I wish they'd hurry up and broadcast the next series of The Boys. It's been in the can for a while but was delayed by the writers strike. That's been done and dusted now so I've no idea what they're waiting for.

Anyway, that's for the TV thread so back to topic....

We're planning on an Xmas trip to the cinema to take the kids to see Wonka.

We're planning on an Xmas trip to the cinema to take the kids to see Wonka.
We went to the cinema on Christmas Eve to see Wonka and it was fantastic. All four of us really enjoyed it.

If you love the original 1971 film then you will definitely enjoy catching all of the nods to it. Hugh Grant plays the original Oompa Lumpa and is brilliant and there are a number of other cameos throughout. It's brought to you by some of the production team behind the Paddington films so if you like those you'll like this.

Great songs, great visuals, great fun.

It attempts to address patriarchy and misogyny through the prism of a plastic doll which has contributed towards the objectification and poor body image of women for years. It then reverses the situation and seems to suggest that misandry is preferable, and objectifies men is a shallow and stereotypical manner.

I had no idea what message the end of the film was attempting to communicate, but I suspect it has achieved its objective of selling more pointless, plastic tat to consumers, further lining the coffers of huge corporation who actually couldn't give a shit about the world we live in as long as they make lots of money.

So, basically, I didn't understand the point or purpose of the film on any level.

We lasted about 30 minutes and couldn't take any more. I don't know how, but I could actually smell Toys-r-us while watching and that was the final straw.

ive finally saw wonka tonight, it was great fun. more like the 1971 than 2005 which is no bad thing, loved the cartel idea & how he came to get the oompa lumpas. some great names included especially the cameos, why is phil wang or steve edge in wonka

my main intrigue is now how did slugworth end up working for wonka later in life, after being arrested & also trying to kill him twice

Back
Top Bottom