Movies Film Thread

I thoroughly enjoyed Don't Look Up. It wasn't very sophisticated, but as a parody of US politics and culture, I thought it hit the nail on the head. It was also bound to get lots of attention because of the cast list. And it was having a pop at Trump, which the liberal US and UK media will have loved.

I hate Arts award ceremonies like the Bafta's and the Oscars.

There was a brief bit on the radio this afternoon talking about the Bafta nominations and a representative of the academy was proudly championing the diverse nature of the film's nominated. She was talking about the changes to the voting members saying (and practicality spitting the words) it was too "pale, male and stale"

It begs the question what the point of all of these award ceremonies is? How many of the highest grossing films of the last 30 years have actually won any awards? Who are the awards for? I couldn't give a shit if the films I enjoy win one or not. Having a BAFTA award adds nothing to a film. It's even worse now that most films that are nominated for these awards a turgid, miserable heaps of bollocks that are designed to make you feel bad about being who you are if you don't conform to the film makers morality.

If you enjoyed the original Ghostbusters movie, have a watch of Ghostbusters Afterlife. Good, fun film.

I watched The Mist (again) last night.

I still think this is the best adaptation of a Stephen King book, despite the terrible acting.

The fact that they are more scared of a bible bashing old woman and the people who follow her than what is outside is powerful stuff.

And the ending is brutal.

It is a rare hit when it comes to King adaptations.

Most of the adaptations of his full length stories have been pretty awful.

I'm not a fan of his books though. I think his writing is far too wordy. Most writers would say "He pointed a gun" but Stephen King would then add 5 paragraphs telling us the entire back story of that weapon.

It doesn't surprise me that his most popular films are the ones adapted from short stories.

He also really struggles with endings. Just look at The Stand where the hand of God detonates a nuclear bomb and The Longoliers where giant size Pac Men eat the world.

There are several brilliant James Herbert books that haven't been turned into films and yet they adapt utter tosh like Fluke.

Quite why Moon, Creed and 48 haven't been adapted is beyond me.

The Revenant (2015).

Everything about it is great - the scenery, filming, realism, etc.

But man, it's so ****ing boring.

That's 2 1/2 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

A couple of must sees that won’t be pinged in the media:
Indeed.

You would think the only thing he ever did was the awful Harry Potter shit.

1665792979355.png

1665792990913.png

1665793010551.png

Back
Top Bottom