Poll Ferrari threaten to quit F1... again!

"Without Ferrari there is no Formula 1" Do you agree?

• Total voters

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Once again, Ferrari are trying to force through changes to the rules which suit them and have said if they don't get them they will quit :rolleyes:
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has warned that his team's continued presence in Formula 1 is dependent on major changes to the rules - as he declared it would not back down over technical regulations, testing rules and third cars.

Speaking at Ferrari's World Finals event at Mugello, and amid continued discussions over both F1's next Concord Agreement and the position of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) as questions about the Resource Restriction Agreement persist, di Montezemolo said Ferrari would stick to its guns over the issues - and underlined his belief that F1's rulemakers could not afford to squeeze Ferrari out.

"Formula 1 is still our life, but without Ferrari there is no Formula 1, just as without Formula 1 Ferrari would be different," said di Montezemolo.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out :wave:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95966

BTW, I didn't create the poll, that was added due to a thread merge.

I found this article on Autosport quite interesting. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95966

I largely agree with some of Montezemelo's points (excluding third car) however it seems Ferrari are again trying to use their prominent position in the sport to make my way or the highway threats.

How important are Ferrari to the survival of Formula One?

Meh - more polemic from LdM.

Moot point anyway, as I reckon Luca will eventually take the reigns from Berlusconi, so he'll be far too busy to worry about the intricacies of F1 politics.

I hope F1 could survive without Ferrari, but I hope even more that it never comes to that. Like it or not they are more important than any of the other current or past teams in terms of the support they attract - having Ferrari in F1 benefits all the other teams, and they know it.

Of course, a competition that is entirely dependent on one or two participants (Spanish football, anyone?) is unhealthy because of the political dimension, but I don't think that's quite the case with F1. As has been pointed out, Ferrari need F1 too, and there is no credible alternative at the moment.

I hope F1 could survive without Ferrari, but I hope even more that it never comes to that. Like it or not they are more important than any of the other current or past teams in terms of the support they attract - having Ferrari in F1 benefits all the other teams, and they know it.

Of course, a competition that is entirely dependent on one or two participants (Spanish football, anyone?) is unhealthy because of the political dimension, but I don't think that's quite the case with F1. As has been pointed out, Ferrari need F1 too, and there is no credible alternative at the moment.

Excellent well reasoned post.Devoid of any bias and an opinion I fully agree with.

Ferrari have denied it was a threat....:rolleyes:
But speaking through its 'Horse Whisperer' column on Monday, the team said di Montezemolo's comments were not to be interpreted as a threat, but rather as constructive talk to help make Formula 1 better.

"Montezemolo's observations were seen by some as a sort of ultimatum or even a threat to leave Formula 1, but the Whisperer can assure you that it was nothing of the kind," the 'Horse Whisperer' said on Ferrari's website.
Anyone else sick and tired of Ferrari's double-speak and bullshit?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95990

...sounds of frantic back-pedalling...

Is it more of a case of Luca speaking his brains in public a bit too much, without reference to the Ferrari team beforehand?

If you isolate Ferrari, then I think F1 would be ok, but its the domino effect that might kill it.

Edit: i mean what would Ferrari compete in and who would they take with them...

Can't see it happening any time soon. As pointed out by others here, it sounds like another pre-concorde ruffling of feathers. If push, however, was to come to shove Ferrari leaving would just present another challenge for F1 to surmount. That might mean difficulties in the short term but there is no reason why F1 should not be able to recover. There are too many 'interests' involved, not least financial for F1 to fail without Ferrari. One man's vacuum is another man's opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom