Poll Ferrari threaten to quit F1... again!

"Without Ferrari there is no Formula 1" Do you agree?

• Total voters
Can't help but think that if Ferrari were dominating F1 they'd have nothing to say. The fact of the matter is alot of top teams have spells where there don't win titles. Like Mclaren it took them at least 9 years to have a driver become a world champion. This is Ferrari's baron spell and i think the new rules could really have an impact on teams for 2013. Where RB are dominating now in two year they could be in Ferrari's position and Vice-versa. I know people will be saying i'm thinking in IFS, BUTS and MAYBE'S but you rarely hear Mclaren or come to think about Mercedes and Renault complain about rules, they normally just go about there business.

Can't help but think that if Ferrari were dominating F1 they'd have nothing to say. The fact of the matter is alot of top teams have spells where there don't win titles. Like Mclaren it took them at least 9 years to have a driver become a world champion. This is Ferrari's baron spell and i think the new rules could really have an impact on teams for 2013. Where RB are dominating now in two year they could be in Ferrari's position and Vice-versa. I know people will be saying i'm thinking in IFS, BUTS and MAYBE'S but you rarely hear Mclaren or come to think about Mercedes and Renault complain about rules, they normally just go about there business.

Hm....McLaren and Renault have been complaining about the rules a lot, as have Mercedes. It always happens, but Ferrari have a card that no other team has....the 'Quite Card!'

All teams may complain about the rules.

Ferrari are the only one which threatens to quit when it doesn't get its own way. Repeatedly.

As Chad said, put up or shut up.

This season demonstrates very clearly that there is no correlation between money spent and entertainment value or if it does lets spend even less!. The current rules are there to even up the playing field and to reduce costs. Ferrari has the biggest budget and the most experience yet can't achieve better than third as a constructor says more about them than the current rules IMO.

Luca is right in that there has to be a way to get more young drivers involved during a GP meeting. The complete lack of running for these up and comers has led to a situation where drivers well past their prime can hang on to seats for an indeterminate period of time simply because they are known quantities.

As for the poll question; Formula One would not be Formula One without the prancing horse there to play the villain/hero/power-broker role.

Let's be honest, no-one complains about the rules more than we do! Especially technophiles like me who want to see innovation in the technology as much as we do the on track action and wizardry of the drivers. That part of Ferrari's (and the other teams) grumbling I can tolerate. It's the apparent arrogance of Ferrari that irritates.

Enzo is long gone. What we have now is the F1 face of Fiat relying on it's past image and heritage. There comes a time when all things have had their day and the managers at Ferrari would do well to remember that. After all, who would have believed at the time that the Roman Empire would fall?

As for the poll question; Formula One would not be Formula One without the prancing horse there to play the villain/hero/power-broker role.

Just my opinion, but I suggest that if Ferrari did actually call their own bluff and drop out then pride, ego if you will, would have them back within a season or two (after the associated decision-maker was fired).

PS, doesn't this topic really boil down to a simpler question for most of us, which I believe is "Are you a fan of F1 or of a team?". If you're a fan of F1 you'll watch whether or not your favourite team is there, or doing well, but if you're a fan solely of a team then you're more likely to be fickle and look elsewhere for entertainment anyway. Just a thought.

I don't see how the FIA can risk seeming to be kowtowing to Ferrari again. They have a heavily tarnished image and greatly reduced credibility because of their past dalliances with the red menace team. Sooner or later, the FIA has to collectively "grow a pair" and call Ferrari's bluff. If the Italians DO leave, oh well.

As Mark Twain once observed "the graveyards are FULL of "indispensable" men". The list of departed "indispensable" teams is equally long, starting with Maserati and Alfa Romeo and extending through Brabham, the REAL Lotus, Tyrell etc. Yet the sport goes forth and even thrives. So it would prove were Ferrari to leave.

At the moment there is no real racing series that has enough prestige for Ferrari to swap series. Le Mans is probably the closest, but Luca said this himself that "there is no Ferrari without F1". Ultimately I think that what it boils down to is that unless Ferrari gain support from the other big players in F1 then the FIA still hold all the power.

I would imagine that some might say that Ferrari would quit F1 as they nearly did in 2009, but really that new series would be F1 in all but name.

Personally I don't see why the teams don't get smart and set up a series of their own once the Concorde Agreement runs it's contract. Sure I'll admit it might take a year or two but eventually once all the commercial deals are worked out the teams can simply cut the middleman (Bernie) out of the equation and take a bigger piece of the pie.

Perhaps the only problem with the teams leaving the sport is that they themselves would have to start the whole thing up, and with massive conflicts of interests that could prove extemely difficult.

All the big teams throw their weight around eager to gain every possible advantage. Red Bull moaned at Silverstone after realising they lost time in pit stops, McLaren got very angry in Can-Am after the 2j started racing. Their reason was that it was too fast. There is a lot of singling out of Ferrari here, it is nothing new for any of the teams, Luca just wants an ally in the FIA, or FOM. Even HRT aren't immune to throwing idle threats around.

PS, doesn't this topic really boil down to a simpler question for most of us, which I believe is "Are you a fan of F1 or of a team?". If you're a fan of F1 you'll watch whether or not your favourite team is there, or doing well, but if you're a fan solely of a team then you're more likely to be fickle and look elsewhere for entertainment anyway. Just a thought.
I think you knocked the nail on the head with that one. I'm sure some die-hard Ferrari fans would stop watching but the vast majority of people are fans of the sport first and foremost so would continue to watch. F1 will not be all the better for not having Ferrari but it'll not be the end of the world. The worst ever news to hit F1 fans of late is the move to Sky next year.

Back
Top Bottom