Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

The history record will show that Alonso has won the Le Mans 24 hr twice in a row. Feels very hollow though doesn't it? Well.....as long as the sponsors are happy.

Yes - and Alonso saying that he didn't like the way that they won.... well, they could have called into the pits and had a tyre change themselves, after the number 7 car had a "puncture"...

Depends on if I thought the team had done it on purpose to fix it for me to win. Not sure I'd want to win that badly. Especially if I'm already a two time world F1 champ and a 1 time Le Mans winner.

I'm afraid Alonso is a prime example of how business now outweighs competition in Motorsport. I really can't judge how good he has actually been in his career because there have been so many big business and sponsors who have needed him to get results, and therefore seen to it that he has, or media outlets who have been paid to tell us how good he is and keep him in the headlines, that I just can't tell anymore.

He is by no means the only one but a very good example.

The history record will show that Alonso has won the Le Mans 24 hr twice in a row. Feels very hollow though doesn't it? Well.....as long as the sponsors are happy.

i wondering is that due to the fact that alonsos wins havent been entirely been because he was class of the field or because toyota were only racing themselves due having such an distinct advantage over other LMP1. because when hulkenburg won le mans he wasn't the fastest but it felt into place for him due to bad luck elsewhere. but they had beat other audis & toyotas

I don't know about this year because I don't watch it but last year Toyota 100% made sure Alonso won. Which was one of the reason I didn't bother this year.

great skyf1 interview, he seems like he really was on form & will be to be public. looks like Alonso going for the Dakar in 2020. but he sounds extremely interested in the returning to F1 in 2021

Me picking Fernando's nose

69716384_2402421199846858_2085467687500120064_n.jpg

WHY would any upper-tier team want such an over-the-hill driver, particularly one that is such a proven prima donna with a Trump-like ego, and who hasn't been in the sport for multiple years?

Apparently they are designed to take a roll, just lost about 4 places, now if F1 cars were designed to do that, may as well be considering the run off areas, it would eliminate non finishers. May be more entertaining as the drivers may push more and fight back to regain position LOL

Last edited:
Just what F1 needs with all the young talent out there - some old bloke running around midfield complaining that he 'should have been a contender' whilst using sponsors and influence to destroy a team mates career.

Ok double post rant here:

When Alonso starts his first race for Renault in 2021 he will not have won a race for 8 years or a title for 15 years. I'd have to check it but I think he will probably hold the record for most grand Prix without a win.

Back
Top Bottom