Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

I refrain from hearsay and speculation, particularly when the conclusion is drawn from rather weak opinions of facts and circumstances.

Is this Alonso can't win without Flavio similar to; Michael can't win without Brawn, Vettel can't win without Horner and Hamilton can't win without Denis? or is having the big boss on your side something exclusive to Alonso, along with throwing the pram as well as other unsavory things.

When last did you hear anything about Alonso doing something untoward or saying something untoward, oh right 2007, that issue has just about been put to rest and is now water under the bridge. If Martin Brundle, a man that never holds back or shy's away from ripping into Alonso can comment and say that Alonso is the most approachable driver in the paddock for media and drivers alike, that suggests that the "I must win" mega baby facade really is just a load of tripe thrown to the public to conger up some story about it.

Oh right the press, the same institution that would write a story about the "end of days" and the masses would believe it, kind of like another institution on this planet.

It gets called a "blackmail attempt" simply because the press, will use a past reference about people like Alonso and they will draw inference on that, just to paint a typical piece of tragedy for the gullible part of society to read and believe.

Oh and this be the same media that consider Muslim's and Terrorists as the same thing, Kudos.

Before this thread spirals off in all sorts of bizarre directions could we remember that this is a Motor Racing discussion forum. I appreciate that it is difficult (sometimes) to disassociate the man and the driver but if we could avoid pointed comments simply aimed at antagonising it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

FB

So, what's the reason for Massa out-qualifying Alonso today?

I mean, historically, Bahrain-Turkey-Brazil have been the "Massa Tracks" whilst Spa-Francorchamps is a "driver's circuit"...so what happened to Nando?

If Vettel and Hamilton are well out in front of the Ferraris tomorrow, I don't think Massa will be moving over for him...the points gap would be too unrealistic.

[I could be wrong...look at the way Nando sailed by Felipe on the straight at the last race in Hungary...] ;)

Oh look the Alonso "fan crowd" is in...what if Alonso wins tomorrow... hmmm.

Oh Sari, do stop it! Ok?

I'm asking a simple question about whether or not Nando had a car problem. Normally he'd be faster than Felipe'.

What if Alonso wins?

Well, than he and Ferrari would have deserved it. Ferrari are counting on some more victories this year and they certainly have a decent car. It's certainly a good enough car for their Number 2 driver to qualify it on the 2nd row!

Chill Out, man! ;) ... And stop being so defensive! :)

Massa is no slouch at spa...

You mean the gift he was given in 2008 after being invisible the entire race? :snigger:

Alonso got stuck in a hell of a lot of traffic during Qualifying and i think got held up on a number of occassions.

Besides it's not like he's starting outside the top ten like Button :(. At least Alonso's got a good chance to get on the poduim from 8th.

Oh look, one comment asking what happened to Alonso and the fanatical paranoia starts. :whistle:

Ray, Alonso was complaining about traffic at the restart of the session, and it was also clear from the onboard footage that yet again Ferrari have very little grip in damp/cold conditions. I wonder why no-one at management level at Ferrari seems to have asked questions as to why this is still the case, despite having suffered the same problem for the past 4 or 5 seasons now.

Spa is not one of Alonso's best tracks, and looking at the Practice and Qualification sessions, he didn't really look at all on today, on performance today, eighth was probably justifiable.

... eighth was probably justifiable.

I don't buy it and neither should you, my friend. A Toro Rosso (A friggin' TORO ROSSO!!!) and an un-rated rookie pay driver (Senna) separates himself from the sister car sitting on the 2nd row.

It's not justifyable.

It would be fine if Rosberg and Schumacher were ahead, possibly a Force India...but you have a Toro Rosso and Bruno Senna ahead.

The traffic problems, I believe, were earlier in the session (Q2) but he managed fastest time in Q2.

So, if he managed fastest time in Q2, obviously something went wrong. That's why i'm asking.

You mean the gift he was given in 2008 after being invisible the entire race? :snigger:

Ray, you just seem to have something negative to say about everydriver, if you look at Massa's spa record he's been on the podium a fair few times and has out qualified Alonso twice.

And you will always find something to say about Alonso and Schumacher...Ivan surprised you haven't jumped on the Schumacher thread to say that the wheel coming off was Schumachers fault...

He's a bit far back (at Spa 2011) but won't be there for too long - up through the field and 4th at least by the second /third lap!

images

Who ya gonna call?

Fernando Alonso said said:
"Traffic was one of the factors because I did not complete a clean lap in Q3, but apart from that traffic we were not competitive to fight for the pole," he said. "In a normal Q3 with everything perfect maybe we were fourth or fifth, so never at the level of the top three.
"We are still missing some performance at these temperatures - we are running at 14 degrees on a damp track - fourth was what was possible for Ferrari.
"Without the cold conditions we could perform even better. It is no secret that we are not very happy with the cold conditions and that we are very happy with the hot conditions. Here for the fourth consecutive race we have damp and cold conditions and we are still waiting for the better temperatures.
"Dry is better for us. These weather conditions anything can happen – maybe we can recover more positions or whatever. If it is dry I think the car is competitive enough to be fighting at the front on a normal dry race."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94034

From the Ferrari website:

Eighth is definitely not a good result, but we have to accept it and try to make up for this bad qualifying in tomorrow’s race. I am confident because I know the car’s true potential is definitely better than this position. We did a good job of managing Q1 and Q2, even if the red flag in the second part put us under a bit of pressure because there were only seven minutes left and at that time I was not through to Q3. In the dry I don’t think I could have fought for pole position, but I could have been at least on the front two rows. Unfortunately, I hardly ever managed to get a clean lap because on both my second and third laps I found Perez ahead of me and on the last one I had to slow at the entrance to the chicane to let Webber pass, otherwise I might have been penalised. That’s how it was, but definitely there is a sense of regret, as I could have got a better place. No one is really sure what the relative strengths are down the field: all weekend long we have seen very big gaps of seconds not tenths, depending on when the cars were out on track and also, we don’t have an idea about tyre degradation. We will see what happens: I am voting for a dry race and we will do all we can to get on the podium.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form...sappointing-qualifying-a-poor-day-in-Spa.aspx

The Alonso Brigade will make all kinds of excuses about 'traffic' and the like but it's all rubbish because Spa is the longest lap of the year and Q3 only has 10 cars. PLENTY of space, then, to get a 'clear' lap.

That kind of excuse simply won't do for this circuit.

In Q3 there were 9 other cars competing for 110 seconds. Ergo, you had more than an average of 10 seconds available before you ran into some form of dirty air. And if you managed the laps and gaps properly, you could even have had a 12 to 15 seconds gap to the guy ahead.

Excuses, excuses.

Look at Bruno Senna! He had every excuse in the book to not make it into Q3...and then he had every excuse in the book to put that car only 10th or 9th...yet he out-qualified Alonso.

Back
Top Bottom