Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Welcome Gingy . I would offer you a CTA welcome :moustache: but I think you've been here before.

Anyway, your post appears to be in the wrong forum. There is very much a consensus among members here that Alonso is, if not the best, at least one of the top three racing drivers in F1. Further, there is also a sizeable consensus that Massa is not in the top four.

I am therefore mystified by the accusatory tone of your post implying that here is somehow an anti-Alonso fraternity. Your post tells us nothing new so I've broken one of my cardinal rules in posting this reply. It is in the hope that my baiting detector is giving a false alarm and that you did indeed mean to post on another website. By that I mean a forum where there may be fans whose hatred of each others' favourite drivers may require that kind hyperbole.

Well, having said all that I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I look forward to reading your constructive posts nd hope that your return to CTA will be a pleasant and fruitful one.:goodday:

Alonso is proud of Ferrari for deliberately sabotaging Massa.

It takes all sorts I suppose...

"I am proud of my team for the strategy decision to start on the clean side with both cars," said Alonso ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix. "It worked quite well and perhaps because it worked well maybe that is why [rivals] are not happy.

"I am proud of my team because they told the truth. Not every team has told the truth when they have made strategic decisions."
Alonso said he found the reactions from rival teams to be "funny", as he feels everybody would have done the same.

Err no, not every team would have done the same.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104465

Given that Massa is part of the team, I would imagine that pride extends towards him, too. I was extremely impressed by ferrari and Alonso's ingenuity in engineering themselves out of an adverse situation. That really was one of the great master-strokes of the modern era of F1 and if he wins the championship off of the back of it then it is difficult not to applaud it. whether it should be allowed to happen again, though, is a different matter and something for the FIA to look at.

I will never applaud such a thing again, but I guess I am more in awe of the audacity than approving of the conditions which allowed them to do it - especially the support of the race director.

Whiting had no choice other than to abide by the rules which states that if an FIA seal is broken without an FIA representative present then it's an automatic five place grid drop penalty.

What the FIA should have done is secretly watch them do it and then refuse to drop Massa as they hadn't breached the rule LOL

And who in their right mind could believe that Vettel would every go to Ferrari in 2014

Fernando Alonso believes he has nothing to lose in the Brazilian Grand Prix as he aims beat Sebastian Vettel to the 2012 Formula 1 championship title.
The Ferrari driver arrives at the season finale 13 points behind the Red Bull driver after they finished third and second respectively in the previous race in the United States.
Vettel is favourite for the title not only because of his points advantage but because of the pace of his car compared with Alonso's. The Spaniard finished nearly 40 seconds behind Vettel at Austin.
Alonso admitted he is not feeling under much pressure this weekend as he is aware that the fate of championship is not in his hands.
"It would be good to be on the podium to score a minimum of 15 points and when we cross the line we will see where Seb is and we will try and do the numbers after that," Alonso told a news conference at Interlagos.
"The first priority is to be on the podium, which gives us possibility to score more than 13 points, and then we need to wait for the result from Red Bull.
"It is not in our hands, we have not much to lose; the only possibility is to win something. If he wins, fine. We try again next year."
Alonso, who is fighting with Vettel to become the youngest triple champion in history, is convinced he will have more chances to fight for the title if he loses out this year.
"I hope so. I am 31 and I still feel I will have some more possibilities. I am at Ferrari for the next four/five years minimum, so that always gives you the possibility to fight for championships.
"In three years at Ferrari twice I arrived in the last race fighting for the championship. We were never dominant but even with problems we were fighting two times, so I am sure in next four/five years there will be other opportunities."

Alonso is proud of Ferrari for deliberately sabotaging Massa.

It takes all sorts I suppose...

Err no, not every team would have done the same.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104465

Making the right decisions at the right time wins you championships. Ferrari did what they had to do and in my opinion they pulled a masterstroke. Massa had nothing to lose so its only right he took the hit

Its part of the game, it worked out well for Ferrari and most importantly its great for us fans as we now have a title showdown to look forward to at the weekend.

Win win all around

It's a combination of things really.
He was -even post-chrash gate- proud of his win in Singapore '08. I don't recall him ever saying anything humble about Hockenheim '10, and now this.

Making the right decisions at the right time wins you championships. Ferrari did what they had to do and in my opinion they pulled a masterstroke. Massa had nothing to lose so its only right he took the hit

Its part of the game, it worked out well for Ferrari and most importantly its great for us fans as we now have a title showdown to look forward to at the weekend.

Win win all around

I agree, plus at least they didn't try to hide what they were doing.

Ps. I'd say welcome, but my spidey sense suggests you may have been here before...

I may well get canned for this, but in defense of the recent Massa incident, as per me a team's intention is to provide its 'best suited' driver with the ideal conditions and opportunity to win the WDC.

Ideally its done by designing the best car but if thats not possible, I dont see why team orders shouldn't be used. We say RBR doesn't get involved with driver preference (and its correct to a large extent), but remember when they gave Vettel the newer spec wing (although Webber ended up winning and gave them stick over being the 2nd driver).

If it turns out well (as it did for them in 2010), its great, but you can look really silly (like Mclaren in 2007), so it makes sense. And yes, I am an Alonso fan:embarrassed:

I was really torn over the deliberate grid-drop, while I could understand why they did it the fair play part of me was screaming 'cheats'. Now this isn't a go at Ferrari, if any team had done it I'd feel the same.
It's one thing to do something like that, quite another to be proud of it. Of course the media may have mis-reported Alonso's words, perhaps he is proud the team are willing to go to such lengths to aid him rather than proud of the actual actions taken but it doesn't go down well with honest fans.
However his main rivals aren't exactly squeaky clean regarding rule following (allegedly) so when in Rome...

Not much point having a go at Ferrari or Alonso or anyone else really except those in charge of rule-making. Ferrari essentiallly did something similar to what Red Bull did at Singapore after Vettel's penalty: exploit a loophole with the concept of badly-conceived rules. Can't blame them for doing the best they could. It's the same old story really, rule-making that leaves too much room for interpretation and unintended consequences for teams to exploit. It's the job of rule-makers to avoid situations like these and they appear to be not very good at it. As long as this is the case teams will continue to take advantage of them and we will continue having these circular debates.

The parc ferme rules, and those for multiple events for engines and gearboxes, add hugely to the complexity of the rules framework because they create all kinds of odd incentives at the margins, from BAR retiring both cars to the pits on the final lap in Melbourne through to Ferrari breaking a seal on a perfectly good gearbox in Austin to compromise one of their own drivers.

If the teams want to save money, they should either mug Ecclestone or make a proper agreement amongst themselves, and keep it out of the race weekends and the FIA's remit.

Incubus I agree Red Bull realised in Abu Dhabi that Vettel was better off starting in the pitlane than the back of the grid because it gave him the opportunity to completely change the set up of his car and stay out of tangling with a few midfield cars

As for Alonso - Ferrari saw the rules and exploited it ...not sure how deliberately sabotaging your own driver can be punished. We all know if it was the other way Alonso will hit the roof no doubt.

It would have been more controversial had Alonso been further up the grid and swap meant the Red Bull drivers were affected as well.

No, what we do know is that if Alonso had been the one demoted Ferrari would have been looking for a new team principal. What we do not know is what Alons's reaction would have been if the points score and the grid positions had been the other way round. I suspect that Alonso would have reluctantly accepted it as being for the good for the team.

I,sure hope Nando-San isn't ,in accordance with the honorable and ancient Samurai traditions, considering Seppuku now
If ,however ,he would , I guess Felipe-San wouldn't mind to be his KaishakuninLOL

Back
Top Bottom