Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Incubus - I don't know how familiar you are with English football, but in May last year Roberto Mancini, the Man City manager, gave out the same message time and again as his team were chasing down Man United. "The title is finished, they have easy games we have difficult ones."

Mind games aren't just about insulting your opponent, praising your opponent and putting pressure on them to succeed can be just as effective.

That is, if one makes the assumption Man U lost the title as a result of Mancini's comments rather than defensive lapse, injuries, or that 92nd min Man City goal? ;)

Fernando Alonso has the worst taste in sun glasses of any driver on the grid!

----------------------------------------------------------------

And it's about to get a darn sight worse:

A3AWn8DCMAABSD9.jpg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102663

Strange comments, not sure quite sure what to make of

"I've been working with Felipe for three years now and we have a very good relationship," said Alonso on Thursday in Singapore.
"If the team decides to change Felipe, anyone who arrives has to be better than Felipe.
"I've seen a lot of names written, and I don't know if they have been written with the head or the heart.
"With all the names you hear, if you compare what Felipe has done in Formula 1 and what these little names have done in Formula 1..."

Seems he is saying either he is happy with Felipe, and let's face it why wouldn't he be? He's tanking him every weekend, leaving him standing in the WDC and has someone who is happy to play the lackey, or he wants someone who is a World Champion in the second seat - "better than Filipe" and taking about achievements, Massa has won races so the only thing he hasn't done is win a WDC?
Hamilton to Ferrari?LOL jesus i'd watch every second of every session from the press conferences on Thursday to the end of the race broadcast on Sunday if that were the case.

That looks weird you've gotta admit, but cool as well.

Even though i don't particularly like Fernando Alonso, I do think he deserves to win this championship. He's been very consistant and has looked very good throughout the season. At this moment in time I don't think anyone would be disappointed with him winning the championship and any real f1 fan can see he's been the best driver this season in not the best car out there.

I am also not a fan of Alonso, but I have to admit I don't mind who wins this championship as no one driver has had it all their way. Alonso was very good in the podium speach where he said he was happy as Seb and Lewis keep tripping over each other to be second in the championship so he just keeps getting solid points drives and extending his lead...

Fernando's F1 Teammates
2001 - Tarso Marques - Two P9's (replaced by Alex Yoong)
Alonso - One P10
2003 - Jarno Trulli - One P3 - (33 points)
Alonso - One Win - (55 points)
2004 - Jarno Trulli - One Win, One P3 - (46 points) (replaced by Jacques Villeneuve)
Alonso - One P2, Three P3 - (45 points with Trulli in other car, 59 total)
2005 - Giancarlo Fisichella - One Win, One P2, One P3 - (58 points)
Alonso - Seven Wins - (133 points)
2006 - Giancarlo Fisichella - One Win, Four P3 - (72 points)
Alonso - Seven Wins - (134 points)
2007 - Lewis Hamilton - Four Wins + Eight Podiums - (109 points)
Alonso - Four Wins + Seven Podiums - (109 points)
2008 - Nelson Piquet, Jr. - One P2 - (19 points)
Alonso - Two Wins* - (61 points)
2009 - Nelson Piquet, Jr. - One P10 (replaced by Romain Grosjean)
Alonso - One P3 - (26 points)
2010 - Felipe Massa - Five Podiums - (144 points)
Alonso - Five Wins + Five Podiums - (252 points)
2011 - Felipe Massa - Six P5 - (118 points)
Alonso - One Win - (257 points)
I would never dispute the fact that Alonso is a great driver, but barring just 1+ seasons he hasn't really ever been paired with anyone that can give him a fight. Trulli had the measure of him in 2004 and was summarily sacked. Hamilton had him covered in 2007, and the entire team was nearly sacked. From 2001-2009 (excepting Lewis) his teammates managed a total of 4 GP victories. As for the Massa years, I think we all recognize that he is not the same driver he was when he was challenging for the title in 2008, and he's become somewhat resigned to his support role.​
What does this say about Fernando? He (technically) lost his only battle with another World Champion, and it's unlikely we'll see him paired with another anytime soon. Does this hurt his legacy? Consider the fact that two other Champions whose win total he is approaching had to face much stiffer competition within their own team.​
Mansell Teammates
Andretti​
de Angelis​
Rosberg​
Piquet​
Prost​
Patrese​
Prost Teammates
Arnoux​
Lauda​
Rosberg​
Senna​
Mansell​
Hill​
I'm hoping that one day we'll get to see Alonso and Vettel at Ferrari and we can see those two measure each other up. It would no doubt tell us a great deal about both drivers.​

That's not really the point Olivier. The point is that Mansell came into F1 and faced Andretti (12 wins) and de Angelis (2 wins), while Alonso was pitted against Marques (0), Yoong (0), and Trulli (1 win).

That 1980/81 Essex Lotus period was pretty grim, but is was certainly no Minardi, point taken.

As for Alonso, his dearth of competitive teammates doesn't affect the way you view his career at all?

I find troubling the relationship between Alonso and Briatore and particularly in the case of Trulli, I think he should have continued at Renault as he was giving Alonso a run for his money. Before being paired with Alonso, Fisichella was a really though opponent and if my memory is correct no teammate had beaten him. As per Massa, I think many people were surprised to see him get the better of Raikkonen so when he was paired with Alonso, it could have gone either way in terms of dominance. It's somewhat similar to what happened with Schumacher. Not only he was the best driver around but also the team was built exclusively around him and his teammates were not top drawer drivers.

Back
Top Bottom