Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

This is a side story but somewhat related...

After the Silverstone win Alonso said (paraphrasing) 'from now on we need to take risks'.

Well, in Belgium, it looks like RBR were the ones 'taking the risks' given their rather aggressive camber settings. It made them blister their tyres and they ran the risk of starting from the pits had they changed the angles.

What I find interesting is that Vettel is the last guy who needs to take any risks...yet he was the one who had to over-take the other fast runners in order to win the race.

Alonso and Ferrari, by comparison, decided to take a conservative approach - hardly in keeping with what was said after Silverstone.

Their biggest excuse, no doubt, will be that 'the temperatures were too cold in Germany, Hungary and Belgium.'

I wonder what the excuse will be in Suzuka if they don't win the Japanese GP like they said they would.

It is only natural for a team in Ferrari's position to adopt a "burnout the tyres" approach, because that was the way to go as seen RBR. Where I have a problem with that statement is; firstly it is made in hindsight, you are sitting in a position of hindsight and you cannot possibly tell me that RB foresaw that by aggressively driving the tyres out they would enhance winning positions, nor can you tell me that Ferrari's decision to drive what would be deemed a normal race strategy was the reason for the short comings. Secondly, just because you have x number of softer tyres left in the bank due to quali being in wet weather, doesn't necessarily mean that you must use them all.

I would not say that Ferrari could not have done things better throughout the season, but that said the SC was about 90% of the reason why Alonso and Ferrari didn't get the race win. Prior to the SC Alonso was building a gap, and Vettel had pitted for his second set of Softs, at that juncture Ferrari were of the opinion that they were able to stretch the softs longer than RB and that Vettel will burn up all his Softs and be forced to go to 1 or 2 sets of Harder tyres, as it transpired the SC gave Vettel the biggest jump on track position and the lower pace helped him save the final set of Softs that RB did gamble on by bringing him in. Thereafter Ferrari were always behind the eightball, then came the pace drop off.

...firstly it is made in hindsight, you are sitting in a position of hindsight and you cannot possibly tell me that RB foresaw that by aggressively driving the tyres out they would enhance winning positions...

Sari, my dear fine friend, how is it hindsight when Ferrari - and everyone else - already know that the harder tyres are, admittedly, their car's Achilles Heel... AND, on top of that, the race was in cooler/colder/not-hot-enough temperatures - their other known weakness.

So, knowing that IN ADVANCE, why do such a chunky amount of the race on the Primes???!!!

Hmmm?

Schumacher did a minimal number of laps on them...and then got on the Softs.

By the way, RBR didn't know whether they would win the race or not. They just wanted to finish the race and minimize any damage They/Vettel just drove as fast a race as possible using all 3 sets of the faster tyre.

They didn't know where they would finish. They said so. The SC cost Vettel a 6 sec lead... but it (the SC) was more of a gain than it was a loss for him...and it aided Vettel in having a faster over-all race time.

But knowing that the harder tyres and cooler temperatures are Ferrari's two main weaknesses, that's hardly hindsight. No?

Anyway, we're going in circles. Have a good weekend and best of luck to the Scuderia at Monza!

:)

Vettel had two wheels on the grass so Nando wasn't exactly all Saintly today. :snigger:

I imagine there's some ground to be found between this side of "Manslaughter" and and the other side of "Being Saintly". ;) Could that ground be the area of the track where the white line meets the green grass?

:)

Nando's conceeded the title inspite of being mathematically not out of it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14872972.stm

I thought he and Ferrari "would fight to the end until it's no longer mathematically possible"? :snigger:

All credit to Vettel-Newey for an absolutely crushing defeat of Alonso/Ferrari on Holy Ground at Monza. They gave Nando and the Scuderia a real drubbing, didn't they?

I mean, it must be totally demoralizing for a driver like Alonso to push Vettel out onto the grass on the outside of the blindingly fast Curva Grande' and still get out-gunned!

With Vettel and Hamilton on the grid, Fernando's not won any championships...and it doesn't look like he's going to win any more WDCs while Vettel/Hamilton are driving F1 cars.

All credit to Vettel-Newey for an absolutely crushing defeat of Alonso/Ferrari on Holy Ground at Monza. They gave Nando and the Scuderia a real drubbing, didn't they?

However true that might be its interesting to see how much love the Tifosi have for him. They really do worship him don't they? I guess thats whats important when it comes to running a top team - If you have a driver that your fans love and have confidence in then it gives the team so much more time to work and build the car back towars the top. Ferrari must think the money they paid to get rid of Kimi was cheap at half the price when they see pictures like that.

I think Fernando has been on top form again this season and my respect for his wheel to wheel fighting is going up and up. Not only is he fair when he's overtaking he's fair when he's being overtaken and that to me is the mark of a quality race driver.

As for giving up the title? hasn't every driver done that now? Wouldn't you be laughing at him if he said he could still win it?

Pat on the back for Fernando for the way he's handled this season I reckon.

Give Alonso a car with a chance and we will see...

He had a car in 2010 but blew lots of Big points in China and Monaco and crashed in Belgium. In fact the car he was given was bullit proof in relation to Vettel's and Hamilton's.

His had the WDC lead going into the last race but got out-gunned by Button at the start.

He also had a car in 2007 but made mistakes in Spain, Canada and Japan.

He also had a contract to drive a WDC-winning car in 2008 but wasn't man enough to face Hamilton and bolted to a weaker team where he would be coddled by manager Briatore who had no problem in having the 2nd car purposely crash so his driver could win in Singapore.

Goading, baiting? Now who's at it Ray?

Pack it in otherwise there will be action. This is not an idle comment, please consider this an official warning for your conduct on this forum.

FB

He has a point in the first few bits in his posts.

Alonso made several mistakes last year....nothing like what I have seen before.

Very ordinary in the first half of the season when the car was up there.

Second half of the season was great.

Back
Top Bottom