Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Anyways back on topic. Be interesting to see how Alonso gets on today with the Rosberg, Jamie and Bruno in front of him. I reckon he'll get past them pretty quickly with the power that Ferrari's got but how long it'll leave him behind the leaders I'm not sure. Still fancy him for a podium though

Anyways back on topic. Be interesting to see how Alonso gets on today with the Rosberg, Jamie and Bruno in front of him. I reckon he'll get past them pretty quickly with the power that Ferrari's got but how long it'll leave him behind the leaders I'm not sure. Still fancy him for a podium though

Thats the thing, it all depends on how long it takes to pass the others in front of him, if he can do it within 3-5 laps he may have a chance.

The Alonso Brigade will make all kinds of excuses about 'traffic' and the like but it's all rubbish because Spa is the longest lap of the year and Q3 only has 10 cars. PLENTY of space, then, to get a 'clear' lap.

Yesterday, it wasn't a question of getting 'a' clear lap, with conditions improving all the time it was the last quick lap that was going to count for the grid, so you only needed traffic on that one lap to ruin it. Ferrari may have been at fault for where they sent Alonso out on the track, but blaming the driver is very cheap.

Anyway Alonso has already identified the issues - Perez in front, Webber behind. Are you calling him a liar?

Third race in a row that the Ferrari is getting slower when the others are getting faster at the end of races. Add the fact that the Ferrari is compromised in Qualification, means that they can really not do anything this season. The team can take the one win and be grateful as pure and simply put the car is not good enough, not by a long shot.

The Ferrari on the Prime tyre was pretty piss poor and that cost Fernando a podium today.

Same story, different week. If you cannot get heat into the tyres, why not string that car up tighter and push it harder into the ground, sacrifice the so called gentleness on the tyres for better traction and subsequently tyre wear.

It happened badly at Spain, it happened again at Valencia, Nurenburg, and again today. Not good enough really. As I say, Ferrari get slower when others get faster.

Same story, different week. If you cannot get heat into the tyres, why not string that car up tighter and push it harder into the ground, sacrifice the so called gentleness on the tyres for better traction and subsequently tyre wear

Easier said than done...

Shouldn't be if you are the greatest team in F1 history

CFS, I don't want to put words in your mouth but basically what you're saying is that given all their resources and the fact that they hired the "most complete" ( LOL ) "driver on the grid", they should be winning championships.

Instead Vettel has wiped the floor with Alonso/Ferrari starting with his stealing of the title from under their very noses at Abu Dhabi last year.

Ya?

Kimi after 2 years:

1 WDC, 2 WCC, motivated Massa

Nando after 2 years:

0 WDC, O WCC, demotivated Massa

Dont forget the 100K fine for breaking the rules and the amount of negative publicity generated

Regarding Alonso's race, he seemed to spend a lot of time jumping out of the way and meekly letting others pass

Now when he behaves like that and he has a chance of winning the WC, we would say that he is being clever and tactical.

But when he doesn't have a chance to win the WC what do we call that behaviour?

CFS, I don't want to put words in your mouth but basically what you're saying is that given all their resources and the fact that they hired the "most complete" ( LOL ) "driver on the grid", they should be winning championships.

Instead Vettel has wiped the floor with Alonso/Ferrari starting with his stealing of the title from under their very noses at Abu Dhabi last year.

Ya?

Kimi after 2 years:

1 WDC, 2 WCC, motivated Massa

Nando after 2 years:

0 WDC, O WCC, demotivated Massa

A new week has to start with the same Ferrari/Alonso innuendo.

So Ray should we talk about how easily Alonso past Massa,....stratch that, how Massa made things harder for himself and got a double mugging?

2007-2008 Ferrari > 2011 Ferrari and not even worth debating.

How's Kimi these days, whats he contemplating now.....junior karting?

Dont forget the 100K fine for breaking the rules and the amount of negative publicity generated

Regarding Alonso's race, he seemed to spend a lot of time jumping out of the way and meekly letting others pass

Now when he behaves like that and he has a chance of winning the WC, we would say that he is being clever and tactical.

But when he doesn't have a chance to win the WC what do we call that behaviour?

Ugh.....we call it the same, why attempt to race someone that is by far faster than you at that stage of the race. In a lap Alonso/Ferrari lost 3.5 seconds to Webber and in the next lap Webber gained the remaining 2.5 seconds after Eau Rouge, nothing you can do to fight that when the oponant has the vastly superior car at that stage of the race. Again it was seen in Spain. No denying that Ferrari have a lot of off season thinking and development to do, the one win this season should just be gratefully accepted and move on because pure and simple the car is closer to Mercedes than it is to McLaren and RB.

I think Alonso had an awesome race yesterday. Really showed us what he was made of getting from 8th to first so quick. Did feel Ferrari missed a trick with the tyre situation though. Why not bung another pair of softs on and do another pit stop last lap or something for the hards. It'd would have put him clear of the Mercs and got him 4th anyways and he might have been able to pull enough of a gap out on Button for a podium.

I think Alonso had an awesome race yesterday. Really showed us what he was made of getting from 8th to first so quick. Did feel Ferrari missed a trick with the tyre situation though. Why not bung another pair of softs on and do another pit stop last lap or something for the hards. It'd would have put him clear of the Mercs and got him 4th anyways and he might have been able to pull enough of a gap out on Button for a podium.

It is the little details that become big problems at the end. Fernando is a really good driver and really good for Ferrari, but unfortunately Ferrari are just not good at the moment. The lap prior to being past by Webber he was 5.7 seconds up on Webber, to lose that in a lap or so is really scary and just evoked the nightmares of catalunya.

So when I was watching the BBC live telecast I noted that not only did Alonso not come in under the SC, but they didn't even bother to do this:

...feel Ferrari missed a trick with the tyre situation though.

...another pair of softs on and do another pit stop last lap or something for the hards...

The laps were ticking off one by one...Lap 24, Lap 25, Lap 26 - only 18 more to go...only 17 more to go now...and i'm wondering "When is he going to come in for his last set of Softs"?

Meanwhile the BBC was insanely giving Alonso the win even though Vettel had re-taken? Why?

Because they forgot that both Vettel AND Nando had to use the Prime as per regulation. [The Speed TV team got it wrong too, by the way, when I watched their replay later in the afternoon. Both broadcast teams forgot - stupidly - that both drivers HAD to still come in for Primes... WHILE Vettel was still leading!]

:D

Anyway...It dawned on me (as it was happening) that Alonso didn't get optimal use of his tyres in the Belgian GP. He left one set of Softs unused. What a waste!

Why not use all 3 sets...and then come in on the final lap for the Prime?

It is the little details that become big problems at the end. Fernando is a really good driver and really good for Ferrari, but unfortunately Ferrari are just not good at the moment.

So, then you have to ask:

Is that Ferrari's "fault" only? Is not coming in under the SC ... or not using up your 3rd set of the best tyre (and then do the last lap on the Prime) only Ferrari's "fault"? Or does Alonso have to take some responsibility? I mean, his fans see him as the "master tactician" after all...

Yes, Alonso is a very good driver. No question. Top 3 for sure...but where's the "leadership" he was supposed to bring in such instances?

So when I watching the BBC live telecast I noted that not only did Alonso not come in under the SC, but they didn't even bother to do this:

The laps were ticking off one by one...Lap 25, Lap 26, Lap 27 - only 17 more to go...When is he going to come in for his last set of Softs?

Meanwhile the BBC was insanely giving Alonso the win even though Vettel had re-taken? Why? Because they forgot that both Vettel AND Nando had to use the Prime as per regulation. [The Speed TV team got it wrong too, by the way. Both broadcast teams forgot - stupidly - that both drivers HAD to still come in for Primes WHILE Vettel was still leading!]

:D

Anyway...It dawned on me that Alonso didn't get optimal use of his tyres in the Belgian GP. He left one set of Softs unused. What a waste. Why not use all 3 sets...and then come in on the final lap for the Prime?

Is that Ferrari's fault only? Or does Alonso have to take some responsibility? I mean, his fans see him as the "master tactician" after all...

Pit and end up 4th at best anyways because Button was never out of the 15 second window and was going fast anyways, so that is why Ferrari couldn't risk another stop, it is pretty obvious. They also couldn't possibly have thought that the harder compound would have performed as badly as it did.

Pit and end up 4th at best anyways because Button was never out of the 15 second window and was going fast anyways, so that is why Ferrari couldn't risk another stop, it is pretty obvious. They also couldn't possibly have thought that the harder compound would have performed as badly as it did.

I don't think so. They were second as soon as Alonso was passed by Vettel. Plenty of time to do 1 or 2 or even 3 laps on the shit tyre and then use the 3rd set of Softs.

They only needed to do ONE lap on the Prime...Instead they left the 3rd set of their best tyre - the fastest tyre - unused.

Look at how Webber/RBR reacted...they bought him in on Lap 3 to get a good look at the ware.

Ferrari/Alonso could have just said we're going full tilt on the 3rd set of Softs until the last lap...OR they could have said lets do a lap or 2 or even 3 on the Prime and see how shit it is and then get on the Soft again.

I think "they" - Ferrari/Alonso - let a 2nd or a Podium out of their grasp. They were sitting ducks after being in the Pound seats early in the race knowing the RB7s were in tyre trouble.

BBC and Speed TV were giving Alonso the win...

"They" could, indeed should, have done better than 4th...but their brains froze.

I think Ferrari knew what they were doing, they had much more information, knowledge and data available to them than we do sat in front of the TV.

I think Ferrari knew what they were doing, they had much more information, knowledge and data available to them than we do sat in front of the TV.

Um...I dunno 'bout that 'cause no team had proper longer run, dry-running data. Red Bull, for instance, were actually flying by the seat of their pants and brought Webber and Vettel in on Laps 3 and 5. That's extremely early, isn't it?

Vettel was going flat out in every single stint and HAD to pass Rosberg (twice), Webber, Alonso, and Button to win the race. Alonso, meanwhile, wasn't going flat out in some stints. He could have.

Brain fade. Complete and utter brain fade.

Ferrari doesn't always "know" "what they're doing". If they did, they'd have more victories and championships since Brawn/Todt left.

By my simple calculations, they only have 1 driver's championship (Raikkonen's) over the most recent 7 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom