Felipe, Fernando is Faster Because Of You.

Ferrari were quick on the long runs but nowhere near quick enough to trouble Mclaren or Red Bull. The car was decent in the wet but ultimately it was Alonso's (often underrated) wet weather driving and skill that won him the race.

The flaws of the Ferrari F150 were clear for everyone to see near the end of the Malaysian GP when Perez was closing in at an alarming rate.

There's no point claiming you don't want to take anything away from Alonso and then add a BUT on the end and downgrade Alonso's win. Its like saying to someone 'no offense' BUT..then offending them anyway

No offence, BUT I disagree with you.

It may feel that by disagreeing with you and giving a praise which is more evenly distributed between the quality of the car on the day and quality of the driver on the day I am taking something away from Fernando's performance. I am not. I just have been more sparing than my praise of him than you have. As I said before, I think Alonso had a great drive and I doubt he could have done more. However, he obviously had the machinery on the day to produce that drive and we have to recognise that as much as his personal performance.

Now because I used the word BUT in the first statement in this post does not mean I that I do mean to offend.

It looks very much as though Ferrari have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of incorporating tyre behaviour to their chassis's design.
Last year one of their main weaknesses was the difficulty drivers experienced in getting the tyres up their correct temperature range. Took them several laps at the beginning of each stint to get their tyres into temperature, but at least they were durable.
This season the car cooks its tyres at an alarming rate in the dry. Maybe an effort at the design stage to remedy last year's weakness, and in the process going over the top the opposite way, which if true wouldn't say much for those in charge of analysing data from ther wind tunnel.

In Malaysia Alonso was quickest in the periods when the track was at its wettest but began losing his lead very quickly once the track began to dry.
Maybe the Ferrari in the moonsoon found its tyres functioning at a range they were for once suited for, while everybody else was struggling for tyre temperature, which is the norm in the wet? And once the track began drying up the car was back to cooking its tyres.

Back
Top Bottom