Things ... Favourite Moment over 1000 races

It'll never be allowed to happen... Way too dangerous.
Theylll have proximity sensors and emergency brake assist fitted to keep them relevant to road cars :)

I have to add another Murray moment. When he was talking to NIgel Mansell about the huge lump/bruise on his head and managed to poke him right in it. That still makes me smile even to this day.

As most of us are quite young we are obviously sticking up ideas from the last 25 years. To that end we are missing some truly magically moments that we may not have seen live at the time but definitely deserve a mention.

To that end, I have to put this legendary battle between Giles in the Ferrari and Rene in the Renault at the 1979 French GP. Every time I watch it it takes my breath away. Remember this battle was only for 2nd and that after the race both drivers jumped out of their cars, ran over and hugged each other exclaiming how brilliant the fight was.

A different era.

Dijon 1979, the start and the last few laps

Jarama 1981, the whole race

Montreal 1981, HIM driving in the wet with his front spoiler preventing any view in front of his car

Monaco 1981, the whole race

Imola 1982, the whole race up to the last lap

Hungary 1986, Piquet passing Senna on the outside of Tarzan

I haven't seen but heard a lot of:

Tazio Nuvolari at the 1948 Mille Miglia

Tazio Nuvolari at the German GP in 1935

Rindt at Monaco in 1970

Dijon 1979, the start and the last few laps

Jarama 1981, the whole race

Montreal 1981, HIM driving in the wet with his front spoiler preventing any view in front of his car

Monaco 1981, the whole race

Imola 1982, the whole race up to the last lap

Hungary 1986, Piquet passing Senna on the outside of Tarzan

I haven't seen but heard a lot of:

Tazio Nuvolari at the 1948 Mille Miglia

Tazio Nuvolari at the German GP in 1935

Rindt at Monaco in 1970

A lot of races there from the early 1980s. It does reinforce my bias that while that period was not a golden age....there was a lot of great and competitive racing then, with seven teams that could win races.

it was interesting. i remember Murray walker discussing difference between older era & modern day & he said that racing wasnt much better but edited highlights & rose tinted glasses make it seem better. but it had its fair share of dull races

just question would it be insensitive to have "memorable crashes or retirements. i was thinking zonta spa, mansell Adelaide

Last edited:
For pure excitement and drama Baku 2017 is up there, red flags, safety cars, stop go penalties, eventual race winner qaulified 10th and back in 17th after a handful of laps, 2nd place on the podium a lap behind early on and only claiming the spot metres from the finish line. Overtaking move of the year with Ricciardo passing 3 cars in the one move under brakes, it had it all.

When Schumacher retired after swiping Hill at Adelaide 1994. Closely followed by my worst moment (exc. deaths).

Last edited:
Monaco 1996 - the whole race
Suzuka 1989 - that moment
Montreal 1990 - Alesi ending up on top of Nannini's car

I've got to admit I've never been so glad to anyone spin like Vettel did on the last lap of Montreal 2011 when Button hunted him down. It was an amazing race that day because I remember watching at 7pm as normal when they started behind the safety car and then Hamilton got tapped trying to pass I think it was Webber . He subsequently clashed with Button so he was out of the race . Then Button put Alonso into the wall and punctured his tyre and was last. They had the race stopped. When I turned back on the TV I could not believe the race was still on and Button was somehow charging through the field. When he got past both Webber and Schumacher with skill and I thought surely not. Then Vettel spun and I just screamed in delight. It was the longest covered race I think nearly 4 hours
----------------------------

Interlagos 2008 was one of the most pulsating moments from Hamilton throwing it 3 laps from the end to suddenly clinching it from disbelieving he had thrown it away again to clinching it and the disbelief on Massa's face as well at the time
------------------------------

Spa 1998 was great because it was Jordan's first win and Damon proved he still had it. Schumacher was running away and he came up behind DC and I was hoping they had a coming together so Damon could win. To my amazement Schumacher did run into the back of DC which allowed Jordan to score a 1-2.

-----------------------------

I will always enjoy what Brawn achieved in 2009 with Button winning the title

Back
Top Bottom