Things ... Favourite Moment over 1000 races

F1Brits_90

World Champion
as it well publicised 1000th F1 race thos weekend in underwhelming location of Shanghai but despite couldnt rejig the calendar as 1 off. i thought id ask what is your favourite/memorable moment out the 999 races that youve watched. whether that is some people who have only seen 5-10 years or have seen live races since 1976 on numerous channels in uk or internationally. or saw the highlights from 1950-1976 if their were any

i thought id leave it open ended because with 999 races there are thousands of choices from great overtakes, great drives, final lap drama, underdogs triumphs or heartbreak, dramatic title deciders. ive only been there since mid 1998. so impossible for me to compile a Shortlist

Last edited:
I have so many

Mansell on Burger

Herbert first win

Mika and Schumie

Kimi Vs Lewis

Prob have a load more when I sit down and think properly.

Oh my word F1Brits_90 that is a huge ask. I've been watching since 1995 in a serious fashion (i.e. all races in a season) and I saw bits and pieces before that. Trying to pick out a favourite from all of those races is almost impossible. I guess two of the more memorable moments that have stuck in my mind were as follows:

1. When Jacques Villeneuve passed Schumacher on the outside in Estoril after his team had told him he'd die trying to do that pass just there.

2. That move in Spa 2000 when Schumacher and Hakkinen were vying for the lead and they came across a slower moving Ricardo Zonta, they went either side of him with Mika pulling off the pass, I remembering wondering at the time how they managed it and thinking how incredible it was.

If I had a while to think of it I could probably come up with others, but those two are the ones most imprinted on my brain.

i really like that zonta move it is the perfect picture to sum up the hakkinen & Schumacher rivalry.

for me many more to choose, 2 underdogs stories from 1999 European gp remember cheering on marc gene 6th in closing laps trying to hold off Hakkinen & Irvine. but amazingly no footage of that ;) & stewarts brilliant victory
f1-european-gp-1999-podium-third-place-rubens-barrichello-stewart-grand-prix.jpg

but also i would say 2008 brazilian gp & 2011 canadian gp, the stress & tension of final 10 laps of them races partially Canada. i rarely cheer like goal in football when things happen in F1. when button overtook vettel after hunting him down. i jumped up punched the air & screamed the house down. completely forgetting due to the length my dad was in living room on delay

Last edited:
A few to get me started.

Damon Hill's stunning drive in the wet in Japan to pull himself back into contention for the 1994 title and then staying up all night to watch the following Australian GP.

The madness of the 1993 European GP at Donnington and Senna's drive.

Damon winning the World title in 96.

The 1998 Belgium GP and Jordan's first win.

From when the field was deep with talent and, with the drivers having more balls than Christmas trees, they were willing to race on REAL circuits:

And Minardi's best ever result that day.

this purely from Wikipedia as wondered who came 4th behind Montero. & apparently in final South African grand prix minardi came 4th although only 5 of 26 that started saw the chequered flag. only prost & senna was on the lead lap

Last edited:
Oh my word F1Brits_90
2. That move in Spa 2000 when Schumacher and Hakkinen were vying for the lead and they came across a slower moving Ricardo Zonta, they went either side of him with Mika pulling off the pass, I remembering wondering at the time how they managed it and thinking how incredible it was.
Best overtake EVER!

There are so many, some already mentioned here. Let me add a few more

1. Rindt taking the win at Monaco in 1970 at the last corner. At the time the only F1 race shown in the U.S. was the Monaco GP on Wide World of Sports. That is all we could watch until the early 1980s.

2. John Watson winning the 1983 Long Beach GP from 22nd on the grid. I was at that GP.

3. Alesi winning his one and only GP at Montreal in 1995. I was at the hairpin when Schumacher came by and picked him up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom