F1 Yorkshire's non-retirement World Championship

It's all bonkers but so entertaining. I never thought this would take flight. It's like watching a helicopter trying to take off by flapping its rotors. Keep going peeps. I'll dip in when I have something controversial to say. :twisted:

I've got the time on my hands and it will be good to have a hobby to focus my mind on while sat at home all day watching Dave and Sky Atlantic. It may seem like a crazy venture but it will probably stop me from going completely mad.

What about Raikkonen in Australia qualifying losing out as his team didn't inform him he had enough time to set another lap? That would be tricky to determine where he would have qualified and finished, I would say judging by Grosjean's pace, 4th.

But then he did make a mistake on his main lap.

Vettel's strategy, lacking top speed, was always to jump Hamilton in the pits. The gap between the two went from 2.6 seconds in lap 30, to 0.9 seconds in S2 before Hamilton's pit stop. Vettel was also on softs by then and in the lap before Vettel's stop he was setting purple times.

The safety car changed absolutely nothing for Hamilton in regards to Vettel.

What about Raikkonen in Australia qualifying losing out as his team didn't inform him he had enough time to set another lap? That would be tricky to determine where he would have qualified and finished, I would say judging by Grosjean's pace, 4th.

But then he did make a mistake on his main lap.

Allowing for qualifying problems does open up a whole new can of worms. Any significant incidents would need to be looked at and decided on a case by case basis. Where drivers have had to take a 5 place gearbox penalty was that a tactical decision or a car malfunction, generally we don't get to find out so hard to gauge what to do with it. Then there is the Hamilton fuelling issue? Again tactical error or car malfunction.

^ team malfunction. I have to say, the whole thing iss so fraught with subjective judgement that even if you get an answer no one will believe it nor have any faith in it - possibly not even you.

I think the gearbox changes should play a feature, as I'm sure both Lotus and McLaren drivers have had them which definitely change the WDC plus a few others, there's also, the differential problem for Raikkonen in Canada, DRS problems for Schumacher in Bahrain (and another race), plus the anti-roll bar failure for Alonso in Canada.

But in doing so it would cause a lot of work, I'm sure there are several other failures in qualifying. It would probably be too much.

Well I'm really impressed with this F1Yorkshire, an ace project for you to take on. maybe you should put an embargo on changes to your original view of an event after a certain time, say 24 hours. Thus you could have posted your excellent view of Melbourne, allowed 24 hours of critical evaluation, acted as sole arbiter and then locked down the result. Working through the season would then create a definitive.
Oh, and if you need some help ask Mephistopheles, Slyboogy and ExtremeNinja. I'm busy.

I'm planning on doing a race every 2 or 3 days, should keep me busy on the run up till new year. As for help if anyone has anything useful to chip i'm sure they will!

Wear a hat.

It will stop you pulling all of your hair out. :D

Believe it or not, this was the original idea behind the old database on the old site - to be able to see how results would have changed factoring out retirements, etc.
It soon became clear that it was almost impossible to do it programatically though.

Strewth, and there was I thinking that the inhabitants of Fenderman's head were nuts. Heroic, Herculean and formidable are just a few of the epithets that spring into my minds when I read the OP. Methinks a CTA End of Season Award awaits thee F1Yorkshire. :goodday:

The safety car changed absolutely nothing for Hamilton in regards to Vettel.

Actually it did.

Hamilton pit ahead of Vettel on Lap 37. He leaves the pits and the Safety Car comes out while he's in Sector 1. He's forced to do nearly an entire lap to a mandated Delta time. Vettel obviously had much less time where he was forced to abide by a Delta. He then pits and comes out WELL clear of Hamilton. This was entirely down to Safety Car timing.

We didn't see it because the safety car backed things up, but the timing screens were clear enough that Vettel had caught and passed Hamilton.

How would you factor that into the results? Did it definitely cost Hamilton a position and if it did was it a team tactical error?

Back
Top Bottom