Exciting championship vs exciting races

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters
My point was more about racing down the grid rather than Vettel's dominace, which is undeniable. Although Vettel has been pushed closer than Schumie was in '04. I just remember 2004 as being very processional from 1st to last, maybe the TV coverage is better now than it was then? I'll take a look at some of the winning margins in '04, '09 and this year tonight and see how they compare - lies, damn lies and statistics :D

CTA.jpg

Vettel has lead a bigger percentage of laps in the first 6 races than Schumacher did in 2004, although that statistic is explained in its entirety by Schumacher's retirement in Monaco.

However, do you think Vettel is going to win the next 7 Grands Prix?

I don't care if he does, give me an enjoyable Sunday afternoon please!

My point was more about racing down the grid rather than Vettel's dominace, which is undeniable. Although Vettel has been pushed closer than Schumie was in '04. I just remember 2004 as being very processional from 1st to last, maybe the TV coverage is better now than it was then? I'll take a look at some of the winning margins in '04, '09 and this year tonight and see how they compare - lies, damn lies and statistics :D

2004 - how many racing World Champions?

2011 - Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Vettel......along with a few pretenders to be.

So more "boring" than 2004 but not as "boring" as 1992? Still been quite exciting though, hasn't it?

Got to say that I'll take the week-to-week excitement over the season long suspense any time. My main interest in motorsport is seeing racing on track, not just watching a different fellow stroll to victory every weekend.

It's all about Entertainment. Who cares about the Championships? Not me. I want to watch great racing and nothing more. If one car is 7 laps ahead of the others - again - who cares, as long as the rest (Di Resta:)) are fighting hard to pass whoever is in front of them. It can be summed up very succinctly.

RACE...

:ok:

It's all about Entertainment. Who cares about the Championships? Not me. I want to watch great racing and nothing more. If one car is 7 laps ahead of the others - again - who cares, as long as the rest (Di Resta:)) are fighting hard to pass whoever is in front of them. It can be summed up very succinctly.

RACE...

:ok:

I enjoy the races as long as there is an Ice cold beer...

So, I guess it depends what you watch Formula 1 for. If it is week to week, then you can watch the racing on a particular week and it seems from the last few replies that you don't care about the WDC or WDC, yet F1 has always been about these championships and not about each individual race.

From the stats, it seems I was right in my 2004 analysis. You say you can't see Vettel winning the next 7 races, yet unless McLaren get it together very soon (I can't see Ferrari doing it as it seems something more fundemental is wrong with their car design), I can't see anyone else winning them..

Unless the EBD rules come in very soon and it has a huge affect on the RB7, this season is over as far as both chamionships go and the bullet proof car at the front walks it once again..

The difference with 2009 is that the Brawn wasn't the fastest car for the first 7 races, just the most reliable and with the more reliable drivers.

So, I guess it depends what you watch Formula 1 for. If it is week to week, then you can watch the racing on a particular week and it seems from the last few replies that you don't care about the WDC or WDC, yet F1 has always been about these championships and not about each individual race.

Of course I care about the WDC and WCC, but we were given a one or the other question.

From the stats, it seems I was right in my 2004 analysis. You say you can't see Vettel winning the next 7 races, yet unless McLaren get it together very soon (I can't see Ferrari doing it as it seems something more fundemental is wrong with their car design), I can't see anyone else winning them..

Really? I'll be extraordinarily surprised if Vettel can make it 9 in a row, since no-one has done that since 1952-3. I don't think it takes a great stretch of the imagination to see Lewis Hamilton win in Canada.

Unless the EBD rules come in very soon and it has a huge affect on the RB7, this season is over as far as both chamionships go and the bullet proof car at the front walks it once again..

The difference with 2009 is that the Brawn wasn't the fastest car for the first 7 races, just the most reliable and with the more reliable drivers.

They didn't have the resources to continue that form, but it was the fastest car.

Funnily enough this was a question I was thinking about earlier. I voted for the exciting races because, although last year was, on the whole, a fantastic season with a 5-way title battle, there were some mind-numbingly boring races that went along with it.

Every race I've seen this season has been good, but Vettel is currently walking away with the Title. I would love both options as you mentioned though.

Hm....bit of a pickle really, I don't like these new rules and I didn't find Malaysia, China, Turkey at all exciting due to it being a bit farcical, I did however enjoy Spain, I did enjoy Monaco a little, bit it was "comical" (as Fenderman) says.

So judging by these new rules, I choose a multi-way title battle with average races as 2010 was not at all bad, neither was 2007 or 2008, loved those seasons.

I didn't enjoy 2009 that much as the title was practically sewn up.

Some of you guys are saying on here exciting races all day, but what would be the point in that if the same man was on the top step all the time? You will be only seeing battles for lower grid positions. If it was fights for the lead and exciting racing with the championship sewn up, I may have had a 50/50 option.

But seeing a championship battle is what causes all the emotions, tension, anger, happiness, sadness etc.

I'm sorry, I'm going to abstain from this vote as I'd rather have both :)

In any case, I reckon if we have races like this year but a driver walking away with the title, for say 3 years in a row, that a lot of people would be craving a title battle. If it were boring races but an epic battle then there may be an insistence on people being bored for about the first 3/4 of the season before the championship really gets down to the wire.

I've enjoyed this year immensely, as I did last year, yet it may seem hollow in a few races time if there is nobody to challenge Seb.

It's all about perception really and I can't really differentiate between the two options.

Back
Top Bottom