DRS - how to make it fair

Fernando worked that one out a while ago...the others have caught on...
MB mentioned it on Sky at an earlier race....& that it gained more of an advantage if you got it right

Kinda prove the point I was making before this race:

At the risk of reviving the DRS debate on here, this is the one track where DRS in the past few years has proved completely unnecessary and detrimental to the spectacle. The hairpin used to be a good spot for late-braking overtakes and battles and these days it looks as though drivers in a battle actually avoid going in there ahead of each other because they know they'll be sitting ducks in the following straight.... which at times has looked visually ridiculous. Well that's what it looks like to me anyway...[/quote]
Nowt wrong with a wee bit of self-quoting. :)

I think they need to reduce the speed differential to not make it so easy

Look what's next year then turbos simply push the button to get the boost

The video above just reinforces how ridiculous DRS is.

When "racing" drivers are no longer racing but instead are trying to let the guy behind go past, there's something wrong.

Personally I loathe DRS, so I don't want to talk about making it fairer (surely fairer is removing it completely??), so how about introducing an element of risk? Every time you select DRS there is a 1 in 10 chance of deploying an additional small wing that slows you down by the same amount as you'd gain if normally deployed. Absolute tosh, of course, but might have a good level of amusement.LOL

"Hey Fernando, I CAN'T DRIVE ANY SLOWER!"

Seriously though feel nostalgic abot the loss of on-track battles between Alonso and Hamilton. Excitement levels used to go up several notches whenever these two began dueling during races, even when there was nothing t stake (cf Silverstone 09). Racing at its most frantic. DRS has robbed us of that now, since they just wait for DRS zones to do the work. No longer is there the need to try and outbrake each other.

Agreed, but it's a double-whammy as the tyres won't support a lot of let's braking either. As much as anything they've diminished true racing IMO.

The video above just reinforces how ridiculous DRS is.

When "racing" drivers are no longer racing but instead are trying to let the guy behind go past, there's something wrong.
At the end of the race, Massa trailed Räikkönen tightly for several laps, simply biding his time, awaiting their final trip through the DRS zones. Then he overtook Räikkönen when Kimi had neither ability to defend nor opportunity to retaliate.

That might have been clever, but it isn't racing. It just isn't cricket.

Kimi could have gamed the rules and tried to do something silly to try to force Felipe to overtake him before that final lap, like a bicyclist in the lead in a race around a velodrome doing a "track stand," but I have a hunch that not contesting the race to the best of his ability simply isn't right for his idiom.

I think the point that is being made is that drivers are deliberately slowing in order to allow the chasing driver in front so they can then utilise the artificial DRS to re-pass them.

That's not racing and I can't think of any other form of motorsport in which the driver in front would deliberately slow down and allow themselves to be passed.

That's not racing and I can't think of any other form of motorsport in which the driver in front would deliberately slow down and allow themselves to be passed.

It is a tactic used in motorcycle racing but with a very big and important difference - no DRS - to skew any advantage. In addition, we don't usually see it without having first enjoyed a fierce battle in which the combatants have tried everything else in their armoury.

So Massa drove tactically using his brain. What a terrible thing for a driver to do. Stalk the driver in front of you until you are totally ready, very dirty.
His brain? His race engineers, maybe. No reflection on Massa, just a blanket condemnation of a rule structure that rewards such tactics as opposed to out-and-out racing.

Think harder. Hint: motorbikes and oval (pack) racing.

Back
Top Bottom