Drivers vs. Car

That piece on the Red Bull simulator by DC certainly opened my eyes.
So much to do by the first corner and all the time trying to hit the right points, braking at the right time and avoid 23 other cars.

I'm a little late to this topic but i think Vettels/Schumachers/Buttons and Hamiltons/Alonsos/Kubicas could be put into different classes of drivers vs cars. I think the first group are good at getting the best out of the car and therefore giving them the quickest car they will use everything it has to win, whereas the second group can do this as well, but they also good at getting time out of a car that isn't there. Lewis showed this in 09 and Alonso countless times in his second Renault days.

I think if we put Lewis, Fernando, Vettel in the same car they would come out in the order i've listed them or with Fernando and Lewis the other way.

Are you referring to the Schumacher of old? Or the new Schumacher?

The old Schumacher was always capable of putting his Ferrari in contention, which wasn't that close to the competition during 96-99. That win in Hungary '98 against the two dominant McLaren's which where 3-5 tenths quicker was sensational, he did it with 3 stops aswell!!!

To be honest i can't remember a huge amount about Schumi other than he was always in front and i hated him. He was normally better at holding the lead though wasn't he?

To be honest i can't remember a huge amount about Schumi other than he was always in front and i hated him. He was normally better at holding the lead though wasn't he?

I started watching F1 in '98, although my first ever F1 memory was of the Australian GP in '99, but I know I watched F1 before that as everyone in my family tells me, but I have watched his races before '99, some where just incredible. Of course I mostly remember the dominance era as it's recent and I have only seen or heard of some of his performances before '99, but I did witness that Hungary '98 race recently.

As for him normally being better to hold the lead, I think every driver is. But even in his dominance era, he won a quite a few races on 4 stops, (most notably Austria 2004 when he was stationary for more than half minute when his car went on fire) and back then 1-2 stops is usually what the rest of the grid did.

I started watching F1 in 1996, but i have a really poor memory. :embarrassed:

I think all my memories of Schumacher are negative ones due to my bias against him. Weirdly, now he's back and doing rubbish i've started to like him a little. It would be cool to see him make a podium. He is clearly too old though and he should accept that. It's fine that he wants to stay in F1, but these denials that Nico is faster than him in pretty much every GP makes him look naive.

Its about the driver. If it was about the car the two drivers in the same car would be a lot lot closer. Hamilton and Vettel are both the racers in their teams and so come out better. Put the two in the same car, wether it be the McLaren or the Red Bull it would be very close... but Hamilton would probably win... he knows how to overtake very very very well.

Its about the driver. If it was about the car the two drivers in the same car would be a lot lot closer. Hamilton and Vettel are both the racers in their teams and so come out better. Put the two in the same car, wether it be the McLaren or the Red Bull it would be very close... but Hamilton would probably win... he knows how to overtake very very very well.

Despite last weekends performance... :whistle:
Welcome to the site... nice first post.

There is not a set ratio as in '80% car 20% driver'.

If two drivers are in evenly matched cars, the difference between them will be 100% driver and 0% to do with the car. But their gap to other drivers in slower cars will be more down to the car. It's all relative.

Back
Top Bottom