Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

Tacitus

Pole Sitter
Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.
Discuss. I personally think this is a absolutly horrible idea giving far to much power to the attacking driver.
What do you think?

How long does this rule apply for? The rest of the race?

In all seriousness, I think this is, probably, a good idea. Not really too dissimilar in practice to the so-called 'one move' rule, I don't think?

My heart sank when I read the news as I think driving standards are over-regulated as it is, but on reflection I might, actually, be able to support it. :o

It just solidifies the 'one-move' rule really, I guess this was the FIA's intention when that was introduced but it was hard to police it until now.

It makes sense but I don't like it... Just let them drive and as long as they don't chop each other or push each other off the track let them go for it imo.

I agree with that. I suppose what will happen now is the following driver will try to dummy the guy in front into moving offline, leaving him unable to defend. Oh well, at least we'll get overtaking in places where DRS can't be used.:bored:

I thought defending a position was part of the art of being a racing driver, the mirrors aren't there just for when you're being lapped........

Not sure how Villeneuve's drive in Jarama is relevant here. It was the power of the Ferrari and Gilles' ability to harness that erratic chassis that kept him ahead. But if you're suggesting that everybody should drive like GV, then HRT might be on for some points next season after all.

How perceptions change.

Are you saying that blocking has become LESS prevalent in modern F1? Or just less accepted?

Interesting point sportsman, somewhat undermined by there not being a single instance in that film of Gilles making more than one move. In many cases he actually makes no moves at all, just positioning his car in the perfect place as he comes out of the preceding corner. There is a world of difference between a closely-fought dice between two ace drivers, and crude chopping that we've become blasé about in the last couple of decades.

I think people have got tired and complained enough about Schumacher doing this time and time again where he defends his line and then at the very last minute move right back across and chops the other guy.

People say its purely racing its funny how when he did it to Lewis Hamilton and now people were up in arms calling for him to be penalised when if it were someone else he held up the excuse would be they are just wimp at overtaking and racing .

I am not singling Schumacher because Brazil 2009 there was two incidents where drivers moved across to defend

Webber on Raikkonen which broke Kimi's wing and typical Mark response was that it was tough but fair ...I think he might have said something under the sun if it happened to him

Kobayashi on Nakajima which sent Nakajima into the barriers after losing his wing

This is a change from the following rules where it is one line to defend your position and one line to take an entry into the corner

The trouble was Schumacher kept taking his line into the corner at the very last minute and normally either pushes the guy off or breaks their wing...luckily no one has gone over the top of his car

Not sure how Villeneuve's drive in Jarama is relevant here. It was the power of the Ferrari and Gilles' ability to harness that erratic chassis that kept him ahead. But if you're suggesting that everybody should drive like GV, then HRT might be on for some points next season after all.

Defensive driving has always been part of the art of racing.

Are you saying that blocking has become LESS prevalent in modern F1? Or just less accepted?
Interesting point sportsman, somewhat undermined by there not being a single instance in that film of Gilles making more than one move. In many cases he actually makes no moves at all, just positioning his car in the perfect place as he comes out of the preceding corner. There is a world of difference between a closely-fought dice between two ace drivers, and crude chopping that we've become blasé about in the last couple of decades.

Yet when Petrov did exactly the same thing to Alonso in Abu Dhabi in 2010 Petrov was vilified by Alonso who became very angry and constantly complained over the radio that Petrov should move out of his way.

In my view what was once considered defensive driving has now been labelled as blocking.
Drivers under adopting a different line to thwart the attacking driver and then moving back onto the racing line for a coner was always a fairly standard method of defece.

Seems like the old Champcar "one move" rule to me.
I think it will vary from circuit to circuit, and be dependent on the amount of rubbish off-line - we might see a few more Alonso/Button Brazil '11 overtakes, but with KERS & DRS, being overtaken is not necessarily the disaster that it used to be: at least drivers have the tools at their disposal to try and win the place back! If anything, it should reduce the contact incidents (once the usual suspects have been penalised a couple of times and the rest of the grid get the hang of the idea anyway...;))

Yet when Petrov did exactly the same thing to Alonso in Abu Dhabi in 2010 Petrov was vilified by Alonso who became very angry and constantly complained over the radio that Petrov should move out of his way.

Of course Alonso complained. Most other people gave him props for a sterling defensive job.

They might as well just show the driver in front one of these:

BlueFlag.jpg

I'm confused; I thought this was just a formalisation of the existing, tacit rule which was for one move?

Have drivers been moving from outside to inside and back again a lot recently? I can't say I've noticed it much, save for the most blatant examples, which were few (Hamilton-Malaysia, Schumacher-Monza).

As for Abu Dhabi, only those with the most red-tinted specs can think Petrov did anything wrong whatsoever. Deliberate blocking was certainly considered 'bad form' in the days of Moss, and those few who did it were given short shrift.

Its too regulated already in my opinion. They're racing:givemestrength:So they have to try to get past the cars in front. Otherwise the race might as well be quali and Sunday a very long parade lap.
Though I must admit that my first thought was it might stop the..."Its my racing line" , defence for crashing into someone.
"No, it was your racing line, but someone just got on it in front of you"

But all in all, leave them alone, let them race, and only punish when its clearly a deliberate act to take someone off. (Schumacher on Hill, Villeneuve and more recently on Barrichello)

I'm confused; I thought this was just a formalisation of the existing, tacit rule which was for one move?

It seems to me that this new clarification goes further than that. As I understand it, the existing 'One move' rule actually allowed two moves; one 'defensive' change of direction by the lead driver and then effectively one more to move back onto the racing line immediately prior to a corner. It's this second move that is now to be outlawed.

It seems to me that this new clarification goes further than that. As I understand it, the existing 'One move' rule actually allowed two moves; one 'defensive' change of direction by the lead driver and then effectively one more to move back onto the racing line immediately prior to a corner. It's this second move that is now to be outlawed.
Its going to open a whole can of worms with the stewards though isn't it. This is why I think its a terrible idea.

Yet another daft rule to "improve the show" and promote overtaking.First the ridiculous DRS against which the driver being overtaken is powerless to defend against.
Now he cannot even defend against the attacking driver into a corner.This is not racing
"team radio to driver" hamalobutweb is right behind you make sure you don't get in their way.

This is not racing - "team radio to driver" hamalobutweb is right behind you make sure you don't get in their way.

I was going to correct you for missing out "vet", but then I realised it was my mistake.

Yet another daft rule to "improve the show" and promote overtaking.

I agree (about DRS at least), but at least it isn't as extreme as the Indycar rule, which prohibits defending drivers from taking the inside line into a corner at all!

Back
Top Bottom