Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

Personally, I think that incident is the track design's fault because there's space to have a proper wide corner down there and they've prioritised a pit exit lane.

But I think the Hamilton/Schumacher battle at Monza is what would be most obviously affected.

Remember Button's pass on Alonso in Brazil? That kind of tactical and brilliant passing is to be increased with this new rule - and what's more, they will require a level of skill and clear thinking to achieve.

I think it also covers the Hamilton/Maldo and Hamilton/Kobayashi incidents.
How would it cover the Hamilton/Kobayashi incident, presuming you mean at Spa? There, Hamilton returned to the racing line after having passed Kobayashi (or so he thought at the time); he didn't move over to try and prevent the Japanese driver overtaking him. Why would that be against the rule?

In theory that type of move shouldn't fall under the new rule, as the driver in that case isn't defending.

You can bet at least one of those moves will be penalised though...

Not Ham/Kobi spa as it is the defending driver (Kobi) that can't move back onto the racing line the attacking driver (Ham) can do what he likes except crash into the other driver which is what Ham did and would still be punished but under a different rule i.e causing an avoidable accident.. But in Ham's case the punishment was self inflicted..

Not Ham/Kobi spa as it is the defending driver (Kobi) that can't move back onto the racing line the attacking driver (Ham) can do what he likes except crash into the other driver which is what Ham did and would still be punished but under a different rule i.e causing an avoidable accident.. But in Ham's case the punishment was self inflicted..

But by the time they reached the corner where the crash occurred, Ham was no longer the overtaking driver - he had completed the pass much earlier, but then Kob tried to overtake, Ham had taken the inside to defend the line, then moved back towards the racing line.... Kobayashi was no longer the defending driver!!!

Not a fan of this rule.

Is it clear that a driver can make one move then take to the racing line when he's fully defended? Or has that gone out the window?

I personally didn't see much wrong with what Schumacher did in Monza, going into the first lesmo was deemed by many as two moves, I saw at as him defending, then take to the racing line when the corner came which many in the past have done and no big deal had came out of it.

Personally the only moments which I disagreed with at Monza was when Scumacher squeezed Hamilton onto the grass and his move at the first Lesmo. As for people doing it in the past, that is irrelevant, all that matters now is that the rule is adhered to. Is the attacking driver entitled to the full racing line? Or is it that they are not pushed past the track width?

Looks like the defending/moving rule has been tweaked.

A driver can make two defending moves but must leave at least one car's width between their car and the edge of the circuit.

More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
I can see that causing all sorts of problems...

I foresee some spectacular accidents with this one, 'determined' drivers (Lewis and Mark, I'm looking at you) getting nerfed off by trying to drive into the space left on the second chop....

What do you want to bet by 2020 F1 cars will have indicators on them?

Looks like the defending/moving rule has been tweaked.

A driver can make two defending moves but must leave at least one car's width between their car and the edge of the circuit.

I can see that causing all sorts of problems...

I finally understand what an oxymoron is.

This isn't referencing this particular rule, but i have become deeply sadden over the last year with F1 and overtaking. For me, every quality overtaking move in 2011 has a giant asterisk next to it.

Back
Top Bottom