Drivers lap pace relative to each other?

The situation in Hungary 2007 had nothing to do with cheating, it was the culmination of a series of conflicts within the team that reflected badly on the teams driver management and also on some of the teams decisions. Many involved in F1, including many ex-world champions, believed the FIA should have kept their noses out of the entire episode as it was clearly an issue related to problems within the team and had no effect on any other competitor from any other team. To be honest I'm surprised this is being dragged up AGAIN. It was nearly 5 years ago and everyone has moved forward and matured especially Hamilton and Alonso, isn't it time fans did the same.

Of course not. If anyone is going to do stats then they have to do them as accurately as possible and put aside what they feel. What was said was the graphics showed the times before any penalties but they didn't.

That's what I thought. but it shows how stats can be manipulated for instance how do you factor in the few tenths advantage Lewis got by having less fuel than there should have been and there are other things to consider such as the time the driver was on track did he get to do his fastest run such as Jenson in Spa last year. did one team mate sit the session out to conserve tyres, did it rain half way through the session disadvantaging one driver, were both drivers in the final session, did a driver get traffic on his fastest lap and so on...

You may be able to do this for the last race or even for the last few races but what about a race that happened three or four years ago?

On one hand the statistics say LH has 100% quali record against JB this season, they could also say that the average time difference between the two is marginal as LH didnt keep a q3 time last race

But who would really say that LHs dq from quali improves JBs performance? JB was 1.2 seconds slower in Q3, and had no real major adverse issues, he was even faster in practice

No I would say that JB's performance in qualifying and in the race was pathetic to say the least and I'm a fan, but I would also say that he isn't 1.2 seconds a lap slower than LH

Which makes his qualifying time an anomaly that should be accounted for but how?

Maybe he just got bored..

Back
Top Bottom