Poll Does Felipe Massa deserve his 2012 seat at Ferrari?

Does Felipe Massa deserve his 2012 seat at Ferrari?

• Total voters

tranquility2k9

Podium Finisher
I know this thread is being created in parallel with all the attention being placed on Felipe regarding his accident with Lewis Hamilton, however, I do not want that to be discussed at all in this thread. I am however interested in getting a general overview of your opinions on whether Massa actually deserves his 2012 seat at Ferrari.

In my opinion he is not the driver he used to be. I struggle to think of any notable performances from him in the past 2 seasons and he has been utterly dominated by Alonso.

In his defense he has started to qualify better recently and he has also had a lot of bad luck. I cannot help but think though that he just fades away in the races and silly mistakes such as hitting the orange kerbs twice in India are not what you expect from a now fairly experienced driver.

I feel that Ferrari will not win the constructors championship until Massa leaves. Surely other drivers on the grid would be more consistent and be closer to Fernando. I know I'd love seeing Rosberg in that seat but I'd also like seeing the likes of Koboyashi, Perez, Hulkenburg, Sutil or even Di Resta be given a chance.

What do you think?

I think one of the Sauber drivers will be at Ferrari but not until 2013. I pretty much agree with what you've said and to hit those orange kerbs (nobody else had a problem) not just once but twice isn't excusable. I wouldn't expect that from a GP2 driver never mind a man who was a whisker away from a world championship.

He's already tied down to next year but I feel he needs a fresh start away from Alonso's shadow to regain some of his old sparkle.

Therenare many better drivers. Not only does he underperform, but he makes many mistakes and he always blames someone else. It's the curbs, it Hamilton, it's Alonso, but it's never him at fault.

He was having a good race today, one could argue he's simply been getting better ever since the title was called off from Ferrari.

Does he deserve his seat? Not the way he's been driving this season.

Who knows what's going on at Ferrari whether he's Number 2 or not, but if you give him the Hockenheim win in 2010, he would have been less than a win behind Alonso. If Ferrari give both a fair crack who knows, I don't know if they are or not, but in the first half of the season to me it didn't look like it.

I think a similar thread should be made for Webber, the RB6 has won 11 races, Webber's only achieved two 2nd places. I would rather see other two drivers in both teams, think it's time for these two to move on, clearly isn't working for them.

I think a similar thread should be made for Webber, the RB6 has won 11 races, Webber's only achieved two 2nd places. I would rather see other two drivers in both teams, think it's time for these two to move on, clearly isn't working for them.

Completely agree. There are some huge prospects on that grid and I think it's such a shame that two seats in the top three teams are being taken by people that are a huge margin behind their team mates.

I'm sorry to say I'm voting no. I used to be a great fan of Felipe, but I can't see any enjoyment in him anymore and his concentration is just not up to being competitive for a full race, so I feel he should retire before the slippery slope becomes too apparent.

Webber and Massa are broken men. They haven't and won't get over the fact that they have both watched their best chance at being world champion pass them by...

The only comparison you can make is to Alonso. The last time both finished and Massa was in front was China. Alonso has competed with Red Bull and McLaren. Massa is on his own in 6th place.

Massa outqualified him on several occasions recently, and finished behind every time. And not usually by one place!

He's been worse against Alonso than Webber has been against a team-mate who has dominated F1 in terms of % points scored.

I can't see what benefit his presence in car #6 for 2012 could possibly bring Ferrari.

Im just glad that I am not a Ferrari fan because I would be very unhappy about having Felipe signed for 2012. Even if they have a better car, then they can kiss goodbye to the constructors.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why yes. Obviously talking specifically with Ferrari in mind he's doing what they want him to with regards to Alonso but I'm sure there are other drivers that would oblige and bring in better points.

No, he doesn't deserve his Ferrari seat, he's too accident prone this year and really hasn't been able to get in any good performances since Germany last year.

I kind of feel for him though, he's just been broken ever since that incident and all the coming togethers with Hamilton certainly didn't help him put any frustration away! I feel that if he goes to a midfield seat and is able to race and drive without the pressure of Ferrari and without being a #2 he'll return to form and is able to clear his head and possibly make amends with Lewis.

To say he doesn't deserve a seat at all is a bit harsh really...

Put it this way, if you look at the Force India situation - I'd rather have any of those 3 drivers in my team than Massa right now. There are drivers who do not even have a race seat, such as Hulkenburg, who I think deserve a seat more. Buemi and/or Alge may lose their seat next year and I think both of those would beat Massa in the same car.

Buemi and/or Alge may lose their seat next year and I think both of those would beat Massa in the same car.
I think Buemi could beat anyone in the same car....but that's a different matter :)

I think all that Massa needs is a fresh start in another team, the same way Hamilton does too, not saying Hamilton is performing poorly, change of environement could be healthy, a fresh start brings the best out of many.

Not only are there better drivers out there are better drivers that would drive it for less money. Trouble is Alonso needs to be assured of number one status and somebody giving him a run for his money in the WDC whilst costing a fraction of his £20m purse wouldn't go down at all well.

To make this short...

No he doesn't deserve his seat as there are drivers that would do considerably better. However he meets Ferrari's requirements in being slow enough not to really trouble Alonso but fast enough to pick up enough points to win the WCC should they have a fast car next season. He doesn't deserve it but he'll be there.

Ferrari have paid him what he is due, they could have dropped him after his crash and kept Raikkonen but they didn't. Time to go Felipe.

As much as i like Massa, i really don't think he deserves his seat at Ferrari next season. But then again who BAR Hamilton, Button and Vettel would do a better job at Ferrari alongside Alonso?

Everyone knows that Perez is signed for 2013, it's just Ferrari wanted to give him an extra year at Sauber to make sure he has more experience under his belt for 2013.

TBH Would love to see Massa at either Sauber or Renault for 2013, just because i think stepping out of the limelight would do him the world of good.

Back
Top Bottom