Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

He'll be a much better racer when/if he learns to keep his head. He looked reckless at times and his driving is still in need of some polishing. He did show today that he does have something and that there is potential. Definitely not the finished article, though.

I get the feeling in trying to show he deserves to be up there with the front men he will wreck a few cars in process

Looks like another inter team war is going to brew

He looked like an amatuer today and wrecked a better result for McLaren by helping destroy the tyres. If the McLarens had helped each other, they could have had 5th and 6th. If he had got and stayed ahead of Jenson, I wouldn't have minded, but instead he decided to keep trying to take Jenson out and even tried to puncture his rear tyre.

Someone needs to tell Checo that amatuer hour is up and he needs to get with the big boys now.

Perez had his best race for McLaren I felt, although I think Button's unnecessarily getting his knickers in a twist with it, if that was Vettel saying the same things mid race, there would have been uproar, at least they're being allowed to race, even if it got a bit close at time, but that's racing

The only times he got close was when Jenson was held up by a car in front or when Grosjean came out the pits and made Jenson go wide. A smarter racer would have let your team mate fight those in front and followed him through, then attacked once past and clear, not attack and make them defend and lose ground to those in front and let those behind catch up.

I don't mind them fighting, just be smart about it, not that amatuer show that happened yesterday. McLaren lost points yesterday, which they can ill afford to do at the moment.

^^^ Totally agree, he looked like a complete amateur today and wrecked a better result for McLaren by helping destroy the tyres. If the McLarens had helped each other, they could have had 5th and 6th. If he had just let the clearly faster Checo through he could have looked after his rubber better and not needed that extra set of tyres. He threw away a good few points (points his team desperately need) getting involved in a pointless squabble that he eventually lost to his team mate.

That might be a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a serious point in there - its the first time he's been challenged this year and he didn't respond well, killed his tyres and lost out and then crying about it during and after the race - won't have done himself any favours while Checo has shown that racing edge/passion that he's been sorely missing the last half year.

While Checo was over the top with some of his moves Jenson wasn't much better, its what McLaren needed to see from Checo but not what they needed from Jenson.

RickD

Perhaps Jenson ought to take some blame for killing his tyres defending his faster teammate and nearly getting his rear tyre chopped whilst brake-testing Checo on the apex. Sure, Checo could have been more tempered but Button could also have been. He held back Perez who probably would have finished ahead of Hamilton and killed his own tyres losing a load of time and points for himself with an extra trip through the pitlane.

There are things that both drivers could have done better. Whilst Checo could have cost them points, Button probably did cost them points. I know you are a big Button fan, but try to apply a bit of balance.

ExtremeNinja - I notice you must have been watching the race with those rose tinted Lewis glasses of yours on again. Try watching it again and telling me who was the faster driver unless being held up by another car? These are the times Perez caught Button and the only times. If the DRS worked the same way it did in China then Jenson would have ben 20-30 seconds up the road easily.

I know you are a Lewis fan and hate everything McLaren/Jenson, but try to apply a bit of balance.

McLaren are my favourite team besides Lotus. I am a Lewis fan, a Fernando fan, a Nico fan, a Roman fan, a Kimi fan. In fact, I am a Formula one fan.

I am not the greatest fan of Jenson, mostly because of things like his antics yesterday. I say it as I saw it. Perez was faster than Jenson. Brundle, Crofty on Sky thought so, too. As did DC on BBC.

I watched the race yesterday on Sky and watched all the analysis afterwards. I then watched the highlights and analysis on the BBC.

Please don't tar me with the fanboy brush just because I have criticised your driver. I don't subscribe to different fan camps. That's football mentality. Jenson is not beyond criticism and was quite deserving of it yesterday. Even Jenson was obviously able to see where he had been overly aggressive when he watched the replays with the "Ginger racer". He was very sheepish and evasive when challenged on it.

As Brundle said - he was as aggressive with Button as Button was with him. The touching of Button's rear wheel was obviously a mistake and after the race Martin Whitmarsh said aside from that he had no problem with the race and that looking back after the race he thought Button would have been fine with it also. I think it's stretching the imagination to say that Perez tried to hit Button and puncture his tyre, that would be crediting him with an extraordinarily undue amount of precise skill, never mind that he actually did more damage to his own car.
He looked quicker yesterday but there's obviously an element of rashness which still needs ironing out.

Brogan - turn 5 I think it was, in fact many drivers used this tactic to stay ahead at that turn. I thought there was a rule that said when someone had their wheel alongside your rear wheel you had to cede position? That seemed strangely void yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom