Announcement Chump of the Weekend Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickD

Pole Sitter
Although I haven't voted in this weeks poll as I don't believe there was a chump, I can't say I agree with shelving the thread simply due to a few people. What you have to remember Bro is that this is a public forum and therefore any poll of this kind will be the most democratic you can possibly get anywhere in the world. If people want to vote their least favourite or even certain groups of people block vote for their favourite, it is still democratic.

Therefore keeping the poll is more of a study in perception of a mindset at the time the poll takes place and in that sense it is of significance as a form of anthropology if nothing else.

I say keep it.
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
If they're not voting based on any kind of logic or reasoning then the poll is worthless.

I'd rather save the server space and use it for something more useful.
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
But if 90% of people are voting based on sound reasoning and logic, what do you care about the other 10%? Surely just give a 10% error ratio in the results..
 

Road of Bones

MTC Mole
Contributor
But if 90% of people are voting based on sound reasoning and logic, what do you care about the other 10%? Surely just give a 10% error ratio in the results..

I think what Brogan objects to is the "my driver's better than yours" mudslinging that this sort of thread has begun to engender.

Personally, I come at the "chump" vote from the standpoint of humour, since that (to me, at least) is implied in the soubriquet "Chump". Logic does not necessarily enter into it...;)
 

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
I have to agree with RickD. It seems 90% of people are voting sensibly and the other 10% are not enought to meaningfully skew the results.

Keep.
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
It's those 10%, or at least a small subset of them who are the cause of all the problems though.
Voting someone as chump just because they don't like them or beat their favourite driver isn't the purpose of these polls.

The decision has been made. You can all thank those few individuals for getting the polls canned.
Perhaps if they behaved more maturely then we wouldn't have had to take such measures.
 

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
It's a shame that the lack of objectivity of the few spoil things for the many.
 

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
It's a shame that the lack of objectivity of the few spoil things for the many.

It doesn't have to. I think this is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'll trust your judgement though as I've been very impressed with the forum. I have only really started to engage this weekend since a break from the forums following the death of 606 and there are some great features and great moderation on here.
 

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
I will be glad to this poll canned.I agree with Fenderman in sense that we are not really the right people to judge.
If there was a chump in Valencia that was surely Nico Hulkenberg. He crashed Paul di Resta's car in FP 2 and by the time it was fixed Paul di Resta was only able to do seven laps on Friday afternoon.
You can blame the no testing rules but these rules were implemented at FOTA'S request.But that changes nothing.
Di Resta needs as much track time as he can get and its not the first time its happened.
 

RasputinLives

Leave me alone I'm on Smoko
Contributor
No.
The polls are for drivers only.

Although there is some discussion behind the scenes as to whether they will continue, due to some of the obvious troll voters.

When you meet behind the scenes is it like that bit in Hot Fuzz where you all meet round a stone table and wear cloaks? hope so.

I won't miss the chump thread, never one I look for first or one i pay much attention too so if its coursing too much friction then I say out with it. Good call boys and girls.
 

Josh

Champion Elect
Too bad the polls are getting canned - it would've been easy to just ignore those who don't vote based on logic, as they are obvious and well known. It's annoying that they do it but if you ignore it then it's no problem.

I voted Karthikeyan btw - he was terrible.
 

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
I haven't voted this week as I didn't feel there was a true chump - please note that the word I used there was 'feel' not 'thought'.

It is a shame that this poll is to be canned - personally, I prefer illogical democracy to no democracy at all - and if 'chump of the weekend' goes, how long before 'driver of the weekend' disappears as well - that, too, is governed by whim to a certain extent. Or has that already been chopped?
 

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
I agree with Strangled and jenov, I don't really see why these polls have to go. They are just a bit of fun, and we're all capable of putting up with the odd vote here and there that might be borne out of prejudice, without getting offended, aren't we? The overall result of any given poll isn't distorted, as far as I can see.

I'm a Hamilton fan and I can't stand Schumacher, but I have in the past voted for or been strongly tempted to vote for Lewis as chump when I thought he merited it, and I gave Michael my vote for driver of the weekend in Canada. Aren't the majority here the same?
 

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
I'm a Hamilton fan and I can't stand Schumacher, but I have in the past voted for or been strongly tempted to vote for Lewis as chump when I thought he merited it, and I gave Michael my vote for driver of the weekend in Canada. Aren't the majority here the same?

I think the majority are the same, but recently there has been an increase of people who can't vote as sensibly, and we can't moderate the polls effectively. We are trying to avoid the fate that befell The Other Place, and we're going to proactively do it.

I daresay we'll find some way to talk about Grands Prix anyway!
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
As usual, it's impossible to win.

There have been many, many complaints and remarks about this place turning into 606 recently.
Yet when we try to do something about it we get more complaints.

I really do despair and have literally had enough.
 

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
This forum will never allow itself to be used as a vehicle for haters.

As I said, blame those individuals.

Bro, hate comes in many guises, and we are all capable of it to some degree, but it should not lead to the majority losing out.

These polls are very popular, and, yes, some individuals may misuse the privilege, the majority do not. It would, perhaps, be more to the point if the individuals concerned were blocked rather than the threads pulled.

However, that might require a consensus on who are thought to be the 'disruptees' and whether they are demonstrating hatred or merely vehemence :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom