First Entered 2010
Races Entered 20
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team Lotus

Tony Fernandes' 1Malaysia F1 team lay claim to one of the most iconic names in F1, Team Lotus. Team Lotus, under the guidance of one of the greatest innovators in F1 Colin Chapman, was in F1 from 1958 to 1994. They took part in 491 Grands Prix, winning 73 races, 7 Constructors Titles, 6 Drivers Championships, 102 poles and 65 fastest laps. During this time some of the greatest F1 drivers drove for Team Lotus including Jim Clark, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jochen Rindt and Nigel Mansell.

2010 Team Lotus

With the support of the Malaysian government via Proton cars and two Malaysian Companies, Tune and Naza Groups, Tony Fernandes entered F1 under the Team Lotus name. Using Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes Lotus signed up experienced drivers for their first season in F1 with Heikki Kovaleinen and Jarno Trulli.

The cars proved reasonably reliable although not quick enough to threaten the mid-field teams. Kovaleinen managed Lotus’ best finish with a 12th place in Japan and the team, based on count back of non-points scoring finishes, were placed 10th in the Constructors Championship – the best of the new teams for 2010.

Lotus announced during 2010 that they would switch to Renault engines for 2011 along with Red Bull gearbox and hydraulic technology. The same driver line up is retained and they will use the T128 chassis.

Whether the team continue to use the Lotus name will be decided in the British High Court. Proton, owners of the Group Lotus name, have moved their allegiance to the former Renault team although ownership of the Team Lotus name is in dispute as this was owned by David Hunt, brother of 1976 World Champion James and sold to Fernandes.

4) Shown that multi millionaires are better off throwing their money at football teams.

I'm not totally sure he did that, what with the sheer amount of money he urinated on the wall at QPR.

Any others?

6) Most "we'll be a second quicker at the next race"s without ever accomplishing it.

7) 50 races without a single point!

8) Most pointless discarding of excellent green and gold livery for green and lime

9) Most pointless QPR commemorative third kit before selling up anyway

10) Unnecessary damage to the reputation of Jarno Trulli due to lack of power steering.

For Item 4 I was of course talking about being better off not involved in F1 in terms of involvement not in terms of actual wealth. Let football have him I say.

For item 6 all I can say is ROFL

Though I think it's fair to say that Autosport should carry some of the blame for actually printing that crap.

Just to highlight where they stand on the the Nil points table of shame:

1st) Coloni - 65 Races
2nd) HRT - 56 Races
3rd) Caterham - 50 Races
4th) Eurobrun - 46 Races
5th) RAM - 44 Races
-6th) Lotus Racing - 38 Races
-6th) Virgin - 38 Races

The good news is though, that Caterham have employed Colin Kolles as an adviser. The same Colin Kolles as a team director with Jordan scored 0 points in 2005, then when they became Midland in 2006 scored 0 points then when they became Spyker in 2007 scored 1 point (Woohoo) before remembering what he was supposed to be doing and when they became Force India for 2008 managed to score 0 points. After being moved aside by Vijay Mallaya for 2009 where Force India managed to score 13 points he went on to join HRT who are now second on the list. So.... Ideal man for the Caterham job.

Last edited:
Yeah, and by today's scoring system, Coloni would have got points for their 8th placed finish at the 1988 Canadian GP. Having checked the result, more than 10 cars finished the race (14 were classified) therefore it means that Lotus / Caterham can proudly say they are the holders of the "Crappiest F1 team in history" award.

It's an achievement of sorts.

In some ways, yes and in others no.

But either ways it gives me an idea for a thread.

Wait right there. :)

Caterham just don't seem to have that 'spirit' that Marussia (I like to think of them as Manor Racing) do. A plucky little team that don't mind hiring at least one decent driver (to be fair I do rate KK). They got what looks like an open and friendly team with John Booth and Graeme Lowdon and being from Yorkshire Marussia is my local team.

Caterham was just a PR cock-up for Fernandes to blow his trumpet about how he'd conquered F1... only he didn't.

Last edited:
I remember at one of the first races they were at Fernandes was showing off the hat that Colin Chapman used to throw into the air when Lotus won a race. He had it in a glass case and had been given it by Chapman's family. He said that when Caterham won their first race he was going to break the glass and throw it in the air.

I hope he gave it back......

Caterham just don't seem to have that 'spirit' that Marussia (I like to think of them as Manor Racing) do. A plucky little team that don't mind hiring at least one decent driver (to be fair I do rate KK). They got what looks like an open and friendly team with John Booth and Graeme Lowdon and being from Yorkshire Marussia is my local team.

Caterham was just a PR cock-up for Fernandes to blow his trumpet about how he'd conquered F1... only he didn't.
The glorious red color of the Marussias doesnt hurt either.

Caterham came under some intense questioning during the FIA press conference this afternoon. Journo's wanted to know who the new backers of the team were and if the funds were in place to continue racing.

According to their representative (didn't catch his name), they're being funded by a group of private backers who do not wish to be named. The team entry remains 1Malaysia Racing (of course it would otherwise they would be responsible for a new bond payment to the FIA) and the teams car for next season is already under testing in Toyota's wind tunnel at Cologne.

So there you go.

Last edited:
Well Bernie is all about money and the show. He makes more money from the big teams than the backmarkers and watching more competitive cars racing at the front is a far more exciting show than watching Ericsson at the back.

Supposing Mr. Ecclestone manages to get rid of those three teams, then Force India following more problems from it's owners what does that leave us with? Sauber who probably don't have the money for a third team, Williams who don't want three drivers and Lotus who probably don't really have enough money for two drivers. Mercedes, who are only in it for the publicity, a soft drinks company whose products are not allowed to be sold in an increasing number of countries, McLaren who would probably welcome it, and Ferrari.

What Mr. Ecclestone really wants is short term profits to boost his revenue and sod the long term future.

Rumours are going round on Twitter that bailiffs have today taken 'possession' of certain items from the Leafield technical centre (or maybe the whole site) home of Caterham F1 and Caterham GP2.

Last edited:
Will Buxton retweeted something about it that was written by Emma Buxton (his wife?) who apparently is in their house just down the road from it.

Buxton is usually very careful to say when things are 'rumours' when he reposts information so he must believe its true. Whether it is or not remains to be seen!

They could well be turfed out of the paddock, Super Aguri style.

Reckon the FOM will give the zombie team a chance to get a Japanese driver on the track then close the gates at Sochi.

From all accounts Fernandez didn't pay the bills before he sold up!

Feel a bit sorry for the staff of the team (most of whom are actually ex super aguri) especially as they look like they are being kept dangling on whats really going on. Apparently the other teams were feeding the Caterham mechanics in Singapore because they had not been provided with catering.

Back
Top Bottom