Cable car across the Thames

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Not sure if anyone's aware of this, but a cable car is currently being constructed across the Thames.

It will start in Royal Victoria Dock (50 metres from our apartment :D) and finish just east of the Dome/O2.

Here's a computer simulation of it.

I've been taking some photos at various stages of the build.
Here are a few of them.
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg

The actual structure will be built in the water.
Those concrete posts you can see are in about 10 metres if water and a further 10 metres into the ground to the bedrock.

The white framework being built just to the left, is a new glass pavilion, shaped like a crystal.
This is what it will look like when it's completed.
pavilion.jpg
You can also see a render of it in the cable car video.

More information here: http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_press/index/news_archive/siemens-pavilion.htm

London is awesome. Has anyone been through London Bridge, Blackfriars or Farringdon recently? The former East London Line is fantastic too. We've a way to go but we are finally starting to look like a modern European city again.

"
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
That I love London so
That I think of her wherever I go

I get a funny feeling inside of me
When walking up and down
That I love London Town"

Yes, I was in London this week, I've always found it stunning. I was on the DLR, how's that for a gentle rollercoaster? Love it!

Quirky, and it will provide great views of other parts of the city - I can't think of any other major city that has a cable car like this. And your house, Bro, will get a 'unique' selling feature;).

A drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the Olympic budget - yes it's all part of that.
At least it is being part funded by the Emirates.

They're installing the cables today so I guess it won't be long before we start seeing cars.

Being a Londoner through and through, I'll spend my whole life living in this great city, I don't care how much they spend on it. The more, the better. I'm selfish too, by the way. ;)

A few more photos from the opposite view - apologies for the quality, I only had my phone with me was holding a wriggling toddler at the time :D

Our apartment is in the tall 20 storey building on the right in the third and fourth images.

0081.jpg0082.jpg0083.jpg0084.jpg0085.jpg

It's scheduled to be in operation this summer, in time for the olympics.

Whether it is or not is another matter, there looks to be a fair bit of work left to do.
I suspect it will be though as they've started working weekends and no doubt will start working late to make the deadline.

Shard is looking close to completion now, too. They have pretty much all the glass in now and the cranes are depleting in numbers.

Buggers opened it when we were away!
I was quite surprised to see it running today, considering how much was left to do when we left for Turkey a few weeks ago.

I was also surprised to see it stop running just after 9pm - I would have expected it to keep the same hours as the DLR.

Anyway, I'm planning to take a trip on it later this week so I'll upload a video* :D

(* Unless I get arrested for looking like a terrorist on a reconnaissance mission or something :rolleyes:)

Back
Top Bottom