Bye, bye Honda

Mercedes gone in 2 years then.

Joking aside, I think the real question is when will F1 become an EV series.

EV car sales are expected to surpass ICE car sales by 2030. I can't see more than 2-3 additional generations of ICE models for luxury automakers.

I think it is likely that F1 will have to switch by the end of this decade. Either that or the OEMs will move on as the series becomes less relevant. And fans who enjoy racing because they love cars may also move on.

P1 F1 will never become FE because they are so different 1 is full of gimmicks. street circuits, qualifying that "punishes" success, attack zones that have you overtaken. 45 mins not 90 mins & no pit stops

but also 1 of the main things people talk about when they go in person, is the noise back in the V8 & V10 years. so to go to silence of Electric would be a big issue. but if F1 does try to carry on being technology pinnacle then it will suffer in the way it has since 2014. thats worlds move anyway from then & towards le mans & FE

P1 F1 will never become FE because they are so different 1 is full of gimmicks. street circuits, qualifying that "punishes" success, attack zones that have you overtaken. 45 mins not 90 mins & no pit stops

but also 1 of the main things people talk about when they go in person, is the noise back in the V8 & V10 years. so to go to silence of Electric would be a big issue. but if F1 does try to carry on being technology pinnacle then it will suffer in the way it has since 2014. thats worlds move anyway from then & towards le mans & FE
I am not thinking F1 becomes FE. I am suggesting F1 operates the way it is, but with electric motors instead of petrol. Single chassis, similar race duration, similar pitstops to change batteries and tires. Electric motor could be homologated maybe if people feel strongly about that. Yes you would lose the sound, but then this obsession with sound of engines will seem like an anachronism 10 years from now, and you can always simulate sound like the Porsche Taycan does.

Don't get me wrong, I love sound too. I've had some very nice sounding cars - Jaguar F-Type R, Audi R8 V10, BMW M5, a couple of Porsches. I was brought up with the idea of cars are meant to make engine sounds. When I drive an electric car, I don't miss it. It is just a different driving experience, but not lesser. I also don't miss the sound of the V10s in F1 - in fact I can't remember the difference.

Last edited:
Don't disagree with most but allow electric motors design to be open, similar regulations for body and chassis, batteries free design and constuction, almost go back to 1960 type of regulation pretty open but nothing stupid, you stop for battery change/ charge and tyres when you need to.

It's hard to read stuff like this without wondering if they put the same level of design effort into the cup holders:

"This includes a new sidepod deflector array which has two distinct vertical elements that merge with the boomerang winglets, rather than a conjoined element (blue and green arrows), whilst the first of the L-shaped panels has also been modified, along with all the supports that bind these surfaces."

Well, the sensors and electronics developed do have other applications, I believe that McLaren supply a lot of medical tech. Maybe they should change F1 in to an emergency vehicle formula, it worked on Top Gear

I am not thinking F1 becomes FE. I am suggesting F1 operates the way it is, but with electric motors instead of petrol. Single chassis, similar race duration, similar pitstops to change batteries and tires. Electric motor could be homologated maybe if people feel strongly about that. Yes you would lose the sound, but then this obsession with sound of engines will seem like an anachronism 10 years from now, and you can always simulate sound like the Porsche Taycan does.

Don't get me wrong, I love sound too. I've had some very nice sounding cars - Jaguar F-Type R, Audi R8 V10, BMW M5, a couple of Porsches. I was brought up with the idea of cars are meant to make engine sounds. When I drive an electric car, I don't miss it. It is just a different driving experience, but not lesser. I also don't miss the sound of the V10s in F1 - in fact I can't remember the difference.

ill admit because i hadnt been to a motor race before, so from the TV i liked V8 & V10 sound but it wasnt important & i didnt get the massive clamour people have for it & formula e i dont notice it. but then 18 months ago i went to the BTCC & the way you could feel the noise through your chest. & it was an experience that is hard to explain unless youve been to a race. to take away that is going to be massive defifect to race going vistors

topher grace lightbulb GIF

toto wolff was winding me up saying that its completely sustainable & we have the most effient engines ever in F1 making 50% thermal efficiency.

another example of intelligent people being stupid. as he proved he is so ridiculously blinkered. its almost certainly not sustainable because of the complexity & exorbitant cost. considering that every team boss is saying that under these rules no manufacturer will join. so we will just dwindle until we have 20 mercedes but then i guess thats what he wants

Back
Top Bottom