Formula E Buenos Aires ePrix Race Discussion

Sorry to bump this (next race discussion thread coming soon) but thought this would interest.

Formula E is set to bump this years race calendar back up to 10 races with a quickly organised race in Moscow round the Red Square in early June.

http://www.electricautosport.com/2015/02/todt-moscow-secure-formula-e-race-june/

Bit of a political hot potato Russia at the mo.

Championship wise it does make a difference as only 8 results will count towards the championship meaning drivers will (if confirmed) now drop two results at the end of the year. As nearly all have had a DNF already it now means they can afford one more and still be in it.

They really need to up the frequency of these races. There's too much of a gap between each race. All eyes are on F1 now and it's going to be very hard to get people back into this.

The series needs to start in November and they need two races a month and be done by March. Catch the hype of the end of the F1 season and help build the hype towards the start of the new season. Maybe hold a race at one of the testing sessions. Combine a race and testing session open to fans. A great way of boosting interest. It would go against the "street circuits only" feel but would that really matter for one race?

It has suffered from Rio cancelling its race this month it has to be said and its not been helped by F1 setting its first race the same weekend as its next race.

It is off to North America though and prior to the Indy Car season over there so I think that had something to do with the timing.

The thing is, if it sticks with the intended opening of the design rules for next season, they are going to need more money and the only way they are going to attract sponsors to the series is to increase its reach. To do that I'm convinced they must have a tighter and better promoted schedule. This series has been in the making for some time and yet races are cancelling in season and some tracks (I'm looking at you GB) weren't even approved let alone finalised by the time the season started. For an FIA flagship program it's not been good in the logistical department.

Rio is the only one to cancel and it was due to the elections so it was kind of a blindside but I see your point on scheduling. We are on year 1 though and with Rio coming back for next year and Australia and others already being talked about the schedule for next year will tighten up from sheer number of races.

As for sponsors I understand what you mean but right now with the likes of Audi, BMW, Volvo, DHL, Allianz, Qualcomm and Julius Baer all involved or about too I don't think its a huge worry. The whole series is set up to be affordable from the circuits to the group shipping round the world in a logical format without sending the cars home all the time. Add the cheapness to the PR business get from being involved in 'green' racing and its an attractive prospect.

The series needs to start in November and they need two races a month and be done by March. Catch the hype of the end of the F1 season and help build the hype towards the start of the new season. Maybe hold a race at one of the testing sessions. Combine a race and testing session open to fans. A great way of boosting interest. It would go against the "street circuits only" feel but would that really matter for one race?

Doing that would block a big part of the world out from the calendar. Berlin for example, average monthly temperatures (Celsius):

November 5
December 1
January -1
February 1
March 4

London isn't much better with 10-7-7-7-9 for those months. Southern Europe can maybe just get it, Monaco has just over 10, but some southern Spanish/Italian cities go up to 15.

I think it's more the potential for the punters not to turn out if it's freezing cold and tipping it down.

Back
Top Bottom