Budget caps....let's talk

You know there are suggestions the grandees = Mclaren. Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari will form a new FOTA group to take on Liberty Media to ensure they get a bigger slice of the money pot
-----------------

I think when we had a budget cap of some sort -2009 it was one of the best seasons remembered by fans

is Ross Brawn the saviour of F1 - well he can't do as bad a job as Jean Todt is doing at the moment as president seemingly sticking his head in the sand:whistle:

olegg Then why did CVC decide to sell F1 to Liberty Media :whistle:?

Re Willi Weber's comments - "Its capitalism is not is it?" and how much money has he made out of being Schumacher's manager then ?

is Ross Brawn the saviour of F1 - well he can't do as bad a job as Jean Todt is doing at the moment as president seemingly sticking his head in the sand:whistle:
olegg Then why did CVC decide to sell F1 to Liberty Media :whistle:?
Re Willi Weber's comments - "Its capitalism is not is it?" and how much money has he made out of being Schumacher's manager then ?

Nobody cancel role of the money.
But talking about that behind money should be live interest to the subject
and would be not too bad to be understanding this subject.

As we have discussed before, if Valencia makes a comeback I'm going to lobby for a Grand Prix at Goole!

Oh dear :(

It's not about the "commute"... its about the cost of getting in; and then leaving while wondering where the racing was that day.

I agree that some of the tracks aren't very good; but then a lot of those are street circuits.
I agree you should race where people want to attend; but they won't attend if the racing is virtually non-existent.
I agree that the USA is big enough to justify more than one race; but they've only had one viable circuit in 30 years.

They also need to get back on free-to-view TV all over the world: Pay TV only keeps fans who are committed; it doesn't attract new fans.

RasputinLives NO set budget cap but restricted spending in testing where the big teams would make the biggest gains from their resources meant it took them much longer to get things right

That pretty much was a forced budget cap

My argument is 2009 was the season where a budget cap was pretty much enforced and caught the big teams out especially those who were complaining that Brawn were running illegal cars and knew it would take them longer to catch up

What has happened since then is teams have been more sophisticated in defining what is budget and how they are getting their money

The big screwball in the power train era was engines were suppose to be only $10m a season but the engine builders have been asking for double the price . Does this not help Mercedes that other teams are paying for engines where the money goes to building more parts for the factory team?

Red Bull are different in that they use their advertising revenue to fund the F1 team

On top of that the big teams have managed to make sure they have gotten an even bigger slice of the Tv money and bigger say

My argument is 2009 was the season where a budget cap was pretty much enforced and caught the big teams out

I respect your argument however I'm afraid it's completely and totally wrong. The teams got caught out by someone exploiting a rule change. They then spent crap loads of money catching up with said team and putting there own design of the double diffuser in place. Most of the big teams (bar Red Bull who decided to stick with what they had) spent a crap load of cash and had their own in place by about race 4. The advantage Brawn and Williams gained from it had gone but mid way through the season due to then not having the budgets to develop their car.

I can't for the life of me get how this constitutes a budget cap. Given the fate of various teams that season who simply couldn't keep up (or did not want to) with the spending war that year I find it even more baffling.

I mean seriously Il_leone I know we disagree on a lot of things but blimey I find this view proper bat shit crazy.

Last edited:
imgres.jpg

RasputinLives Caught out and can't really throw money and expect instant results because they could not test.

So was FOTA a smokescreen or did they actually impose a budget cap until one or two teams apparently found loopholes to evade what constitutes as spending and realised it was actually handicapping them

Back
Top Bottom