Bruno Senna

Congratulations to young Bruno Senna for a fantastic qualifying session today.

I'm sure his uncle would be very proud knowing he's starting the Belgian Grand Prix - his first race of the year - from 7th on the Grid.

Spa-Francorchamps is a special circuit. A real challenge and known as a "driver's circuit" which "separates the men from the boys".

Add to that the tricky, greasy conditions you had today and Bruno's consistency in ALL 3 sessions at this circuit means there's some talent there.

The Renault is by no means a Top 4 car...so to be 7th on the grid ahead of the likes of World Champions Alonso and Button (both of whom have superior Ferraris and McLarens) and his somewhat highly rated teammate Petrov, is a very good achievement.

Good luck in the race tomorrow Bruno!

C'mon Boy...Make Brazil Proud of it's Formula One drivers again! :cheer:

Haven't really followed Senna's race day performance. How does he compare to Petrov in race trim since he came in for Heidfeld?
I know his qualifying has been much better than Petrov though.

Hm...Petrov had issues and had to radically change his set-up, they both looked strong in all practice sessions, think this track suits Renault. Nevertheless, it was a good performance to get into the top 10 as we all know how tight it is from 9th-14th

I think it compares well to Petrov but not to Heidfeld.
Actually if you compare pure pace over a race weekend (as in the autosport supergrid)Petrov is clearly ahead of both and Heidfeld only fractionally ahead of Senna.
If you then consider:-
Practically no testing for Senna
He's been inconsistent...but the Renault has not been developed
Senna new to KERS and DRS
Some poor strategies
Senna raced for HRT where having a crash was not on-too expensive. So this year he had to overcome that reticence to really go for it. HRT was a damaging time for him.
Baring that in mind if you then look at what he's actually done, its not half bad, and the improvement is an upward curve. He's had some unfortunate incidents and while he has only scored two points, Petrov only has four from the same period. His races go like this

Spa-crashed friday, qualified ahead of Petrov(7th) Hit Jamie in the first corner
Monza-made q3 but behind Petrov. Got wing damage due to Liuzzi in first corner. Still scored points.
Singapore-Renault performed poorly but Senna out qualified Petrov and outpaced him all weekend
Japan-Shunt saturday, race to get car ready, still matched Petrov in quali. Poor race start and no downforce due to debris
Korea-No dry running Friday. Poor quali.poor race
India- confident in practices. compromised by changing track conditions (3tenths off petrov in quali) was running 9th but then lost KERS in the race
Abu Dhabi-missed first practice, qualified close to Petrov(couple of tenths off) tried a different strategy but was hit with a drive through for blue flags.
Brazil-outqualified Petrov.

I rate Petrov and I think Senna stacks up pretty well beside him.

Sorry Bruno matey but you needed a better performance than that in the race my friend. With Grosjean quicker than you and , frankly, looking pretty sharpe in practice and already being the favoured son anyways I think the seat goes to him and you might go bye bye

Unless your sponsors have enough money to pay off Petrov's contract and replace the Russian sponsor money at Lotus

Yeah, he was unlucky with the penalty and gearbox failure, but I am not sure I agree with Martin Brundle when he said Senna's did quite well in the Renault seat. Don't think he's done that well if I am honest.

I can't see him too happy, but maybe Williams are going to consider him alongside Maldonado, as far as I know Senna does bring in some cash. I don't know how that compares to Sutil, but it is quite sad that these comparison's are even made I have to say.
Nevertheless I would ALWAYS prefer Sutil over Senna, and I think Vijay would be crazy to sack him...Anyone seeing Hulkenberg returning to Williams?

Senna is now talking about taking a third driver role - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96730

Don't think he'e be talking about it if he was confident that he had a seat for 2012 so I think that rules him out for the season. I think the Williams and the HRT seat were his only options anyways and I always thought he was an outsider for Williams and HRT have already been there and done it with Bruno.

Looks like going back to Lotus Test Driver for Bruno which is a massive backward step. I can;t say he's really earned a seat in F1 though.

How different his career may have been if Ross Brawn had taken a gamble on him in 2009 and dropped Rubens. Could have been a race winner and sitting in one of the front running teams. But then woulda coulda shoulda

I have to say, this would be good news for both Bruno and for Williams.... Whilst Senna may still not have proven himself at the highest level, the marketability of Senna in a Williams will add to Williams' coffers, and in its current plight, this can only be good news! It will have an eerily familiar tone to it though - Senna in a Blue and White Williams, powered by a Renault engine....

Back
Top Bottom