Attention Block quoting posts

I'm not a Mod but block posting reduces my enjoyment of reading some posts when it is a direct quote from the one above and not only that it is the entire post that has been quoted, there is just no need for it and I find it very tiresome especially now that the quotes are being put into containers and I find myself scrolling down only to realise I'm reading the same bloody thing I've just a second ago read.

If I find it irksome I can't imaging what Brogan thinks when he has said time and time again not to do it...

I posted this small rant because I have just read the American election thread and It has happened on there, and I can't understand why it is so difficult to simply not do it.....

If I have overstepped the bounds here bro then I apologise and if this is the case just delete this post, cheers...

The way I approach it is imagine there are a bunch of you speaking face to face over a few drinks.

Let's assume "Dave" says something.
If you speak immediately after, you wouldn't first repeat his words before saying what you want to say.

On the other hand, if you are responding to something "Mike" said 10 minutes ago, you would preface your comments with "Mike said a while ago that..." and then continue with your own comments.

Not sure if that has come across how I intended :unsure:

Yes it has Brogan and in the scenario you presented, the person in question would not quote mike in his entirety he would only quote the relevant bit of what he said or the bit he wants to talk about either to dispute or add to it, and that is how I try to use the quote function I don't see it as the like button or just to say "yeah that's what I think to."

Edit.

I could have easily quoted your post and then written mine but I didn't find the need to do so, my bad...

After being unaware about this rule once, I can't seem to quote at all anymore.
Is there a cool-down period, or is it one mistake, forever screwed?

mnmracer, You were advised about it here: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/woul...ed-bull-as-vettel-has.5644/page-3#post-165329 and said that you had understood here: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/woul...ed-bull-as-vettel-has.5644/page-4#post-165479

Unfortunately you carried on quoting almost every post so the option was removed.

We're not all bad here though so I have reinstated the link.
All we ask is that members try and use the quote function selectively rather than for every single post as all that does is clutter threads making them difficult to follow.

As you have seen, the tagging function can also be used to alert members and that sometimes works better than quoting.

Il_leone, I have also reinstated the link for you, can you also be more measured in your use of the quote function please?

To clarify, we're not asking people to stop using it altogether; reading through this thread should help to clear up any confusion about what it is we're trying to cut down on.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I tried (maybe incorrectly) to only use it when the post I was replying to is more than 3 posts back, so that it's clear what I'm replying to. Or is that also unwanted?

If you are responding to a specific point then of course that's fine.

However, please try and prune any additional content from the quote, reducing it to the salient point, rather than quoting the whole post. This will actually further reinforce which point it is you are specifically responding to.

Back
Top Bottom