BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I'm not struggling. news night, Question Time, Dragons Den, the Apprentice, News, Weather, have I got news for you?, QI, watchdog, Never mind the buzzcocks, some fantastic documentaries (particularly Louis Theroux). Then there is all of the fantastic children's programmes that I watched as I was growing up. Of all the TV channels available, it is the BBC family of channels that I find myself watching much more than any others. If you ignore the obvious poop such as strictly pop idle dancing on ice factor, the BBC actually provide a pretty decent service. Oh, and I forgot to mention my favourite TV drama of all time. LUTHER!

The BBC is best of the bunch really.

I enjoy Strictly, Merlin, Dr Who and period drama. Like Ninja, I loved Luther. I also watch various gardening progs, food shows, News 24 and the politics channel.

There is no way I can afford Sky and even if I could, I would be averse to having a bloody great dish on my house and increasing the Murdoch coffers. So unless the freeview option comes to fruition, it looks like I may be regaining some of my Sundays back and making do with the highlights show - which for some tracks, where there are few highlights, can only be a blessing.

It's possible to have Sky without having Sky. Virgin is a much, much better service. Hi-speed fibre network, no-dish, the amazing TiVo box, rapid Internet connection, free Spotify premium...

It is also worth remembering that, for the early morning f1 races, there will be near-as-makes-no-difference FULL highlights at 1400. It seems that only Canada, USA, Hungary and Germany we'll be missing out on full races for.

I agree with you. Maybe the BBC will get Ben Edwards to commentate with DC (as I believe he is staying with the Beeb)?

It's possible to have Sky without having Sky. Virgin is a much, much better service. Hi-speed fibre network, no-dish, the amazing TiVo box, rapid Internet connection, free Spotify premium...
Isn't Virgin a cable thingy though?

There isn't even gas where I live, let alone cable TV.

Au contraire.

We live in an apartment barely 5 years old but will never be able to have Virgin as there is no fibre in the building and retro-fitting it would be impossible.

So rather than being a modern metropolis option, it's more likely to be those in the suburbs who have it.

Wow, that sucks. Most of the new flats and apartments these days are fitted with built in co-axial networks throughout. My friend even has an Ethernet port in his bathroom. Whilst you have a new apartment, it seems you do not have a modern apartment. Not, at least, by modern standards... which are those that I judge the modernity of something.

The whole apartment is wired with ethernet and double co-ax in every room, all controlled from a master hub.

There's just no fibre to or within the building; probably because Virgin/BT etc. weren't interested in the cost of laying the fibre.

Ah. Gotcha. Then the building would not need any expensive retrofitting. It's actually a case of Virgin not installing in your area. Probably because much of Canary Wharf did not exist when Cable & Wireless laid thier fibre network about 14 years ago.

It would, as there is no fibre or co-ax from each apartment down to a central distribution panel, just standard twisted pair.

Very short-sighted by the builders (Barratt).

I'm not blaming Sky for buying the rights to F1, im blaming them for not allowing fans to purchase a minimized package that allows them to just watch F1 and nothing else.

Well, they don't let me buy a Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Rugby package for cheaper, don't see why they should do the same with F1.

Well, they don't let me buy a Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Rugby package for cheaper, don't see why they should do the same with F1.

Yes, well maybe they should!!! They clearly have no clue about profit maximisation being linked to price differentiation at Sky - individuals would rather NOT buy a Sky subscription and not be able to watch F1, than having to buy a subscription which covers Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky Sports etc etc....

If they were to offer something along these lines...

£10/month - F1 OR Football OR Rugby Union or Sky 1 or Add on channels (Such as UK Gold etc)
£19/month - combination of 2 of the above.
£27/month - combination of 3 of the above
£34/month Combination of 4 of the above
£40/month All channels.

Then it would be a much more efficient pricing package.... More people would be willing to buy in the first place, and people wouldn't be tied to services they don't want!

...this was in relation to how Sky might do better with thier package offerings rather than the availability of Virgin's service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom